New Ruger Precision Rimfire, crooked handguard - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:39 PM
bren_10
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Ruger Precision Rimfire, crooked handguard

New Ruger Precision Rimfire, and the handguard is crooked (like way off center).

I thought, no problem, just loosen it, align it, then retighten the bolts.

No-go, hard as I try it just won't stay centered, I got it a lot closer than the way it was built but it's still crooked.

Anybody had to deal with this yet? Any hints on getting it more centered. I hate to sand & file on a new gun but the off center handguard bugs the heck out of me.

I did notice that the barrel nut is on backwards to some of the online pictures that I have seen (nut hex towards the front of gun) so maybe that has something to do with the problem (or possibly Ruger has changed the nut direction for easier factory installation).

I'm kind of limited to what I do (alteration wise) as the gun is the Gallery-of-Guns special run that comes from factory (or from Gallery-of-Guns anyhow) in flat dark earth color.

I would send it back to Gallery-of-Guns but have my doubts that the next one would be any better & this gun has a real good trigger pull (with a little work I easily got it down to 18 ounces), feeds & ejects good, don't now about accuracy yet as the winds on my range were in the 25-35 mph & gusting today.

I'm open to suggestions & thoughts___
Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 PM
72coupe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is the notch in the top of the handguard centered on the Picatinny rail?

That is the only thing I can think of that might be wrong.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren_10 View Post
I did notice that the barrel nut is on backwards to some of the online pictures that I have seen (nut hex towards the front of gun) so maybe that has something to do with the problem (or possibly Ruger has changed the nut direction for easier factory installation).
My first rifle had the round portion of the barrel nut away from the action. My 17HMR version has the round portion against the action. Both guns shoot fine as far as barrel nut placement. And hand guard is centered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 07:38 AM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72coupe View Post
Is the notch in the top of the handguard centered on the Picatinny rail?

That is the only thing I can think of that might be wrong.
Yes it's centered, it is a very tight fit so not much can go wrong in aligning that area.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Travelor

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
Another example of the Ruger QC screw ups.

I will never ever buy another Ruger rifle again, After two trips back to Ruger and an aftermarket barrel, it is still a POS in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it off center vertically or horizontal? Vertical off center where the barrel is closer to the bottom seems to be the norm. My 22lr version is. It doesn't touch the hand guard or any of the accessories I put on though.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:21 PM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmww View Post
Is it off center vertically or horizontal? Vertical off center where the barrel is closer to the bottom seems to be the norm. My 22lr version is. It doesn't touch the hand guard or any of the accessories I put on though.
It's looks OK in vertical direction but off in the lateral direction.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd contact Ruger customer service and send a picture to see what they want to do.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:10 PM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmww View Post
I'd contact Ruger customer service and send a picture to see what they want to do.
Yes, it might eventually come to that but everything else about this gun (after a little work, clean up, & some trigger work ) works & functions good, plus it seems to be an accurate one with CCI standard ammo.

I would be a little concerned that Ruger would just toss on a bunch of upper parts that messes something else up (like accuracy or feeding).

Plus, the gun is a Gallery-of-Guns FDE limited run so the chance that Ruger has another FDE handguard available is pretty slim so they might have the gun a l-o-n-g time for the repair.

If possible I would like to try & repair it myself (might not be possible though).

Best I can tell, I think the handguard itself is off a little so I might make a solid spool with the same diameter as the barrel nut then clamp the handguard on & fixture the spool in my large shop vise then try to tweak the handguard a little.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good luck on the fix. If you have a chance I'd like to see a post of this rifle and the issue.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:24 PM
samven
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You might not have to send it back if you can get a good picture showing the problem and send that to Ruger and follow up with a call explaining your situation. They might be able to tell you what needs to be done short of returning it. It seems to be a common enough problem that they have seen dozens or hundreds and can tell you if its an adjustment or a defect.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
You might not have to send it back if you can get a good picture showing the problem and send that to Ruger and follow up with a call explaining your situation. They might be able to tell you what needs to be done short of returning it. It seems to be a common enough problem that they have seen dozens or hundreds and can tell you if its an adjustment or a defect.

That used to be the case with Ruger as at one time Ruger had a great customer service.

Not so anymore (at least on the Precision Rimfire model)-- I have called Ruger customer service a few times on this gun already & their customer service is not interested in helping me (on anything). They border on being rude, are VERY evasive, & have a great non-interest in helping the customer with this particular gun model.

I must presume it is due to the very large number of problems with this gun model so they have probably trained their service reps to 'deny', 'evade', 'blame', 'refuse' as it hasn't been the same rep each time but the lack of help is darn consistent.

I even tried to contact Ruger upper management about getting some help but their contact page says 'not available'.

Bill Ruger would probably be turning over in his grave if he knew how Ruger is currently treating customers.

I could send this gun back as I bought it from a company that gives a full replacement warranty but even though the bolt looks like it was gnawed on by crazy Beaver, handguard is off center, trigger safety is sticky & gritty, barrel crown looks like it was made with a pocket knife, pic rail won't allow any of my 1" scopes to zero out at 50 yards (Ruger reps told me gun was designed to shoot 200 yards & not set up to zero out at anything under 100 yards?? yep that's what they told me???), bolt machining is sharper than a razor blade (needs serious de-horning as it has drawn blood on me twice already), etc.

BUT!, the sorry looking little devil shoots great groups (lots of on-line complaints about the Ruger 'Precision' Rimfire not living up to it's name, but mine shoots good.

It feeds & ejects good also (there are a fair number of reported complaints of having severe feeding or ejecting problems).

I would be afraid of getting a replacement that has basically the same problems but had accuracy or ejection problems added in on top of the inherent problems.

Most of what is wrong with my Ruger Precision Rimfire IS fixable with some work, it would just be nice if Ruger would (even try to) help me achieve that goal.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 PM
samven
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, I am really sorry to hear this. I have always been a Ruger fan although I had not bought a new one in a long time until this RPR. Their New model Blackhawks have been tanks and my little 10/22 has been running smooth since 1974.
I guess the competition is forcing them to cut service as well as QC.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:21 AM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven View Post
Wow, I am really sorry to hear this. I have always been a Ruger fan although I had not bought a new one in a long time until this RPR. Their New model Blackhawks have been tanks and my little 10/22 has been running smooth since 1974.
I guess the competition is forcing them to cut service as well as QC.
I have been a die-hard Ruger fan since the early 1960's & have some fine older Ruger guns.

I usually end up buying a Ruger or two every year when something catches my eye (I'm too old to chase girls so I now chase guns).

It seems that every year the Ruger quality has gone down but up until this Ruger Precision Rimfire at least the Ruger customer service has been decent (at times even steller).

Last year a I bought a couple of Ruger Mark 4 pistols, both had quality issues, and both had recalls, but both turned out to be decent pistols with Ruger's help & support. I sent one Mark 4 in twice, once for the safety recall & once for the rear cross pin walking out. Ruger's attempt to repair the cross pin walking out failed but customer service sent me some new parts to work with & with some retaining spring re-work & deepening the cross pin grooves slightly the walking cross pin issue is permanently gone.

The second Mark 4 was only sent in once for the recall but it had rear sight issues (Ruger customer service sent me new parts to make that right) had 2 broken firing pins. Ruger sent me a new one each time but I didn't trust the new design pin so installed an older style firing pin (has been reliable now for 25,000 rounds). It developed an ejection issue & Ruger customer service sent me the parts to repair without delay.

The rubber bumper between the frame & upper failed but Ruger customer support sent me replacements without issue ( I have since made new ones out of different material that won't fail).

I definitely wasn't happy with the gun problems & failures but a cheerful responsive (AND HELPING) customer service made the problems kind of a non-issue for me.

Now I buy a new Ruger Precision Rimfire (first off, it is mis-named as it should have been named Ruger 'Pain-In-The-%%%%% Rimfire'.

The RPR gun quality is pretty darn poor, the pre-sales quality-control is definitely nonexistent, the basic machining is very poor (dull mill cutters run at way-to-fast feed rates). It looks like no parts quality inspection process is in place (or if it is in place then there is a use-it-anyhow mandate).

I should have come with a 0 or at least a 20 rail not a 30 as most shooters don't want to put an $800.00+ (30mm) or (34mm) scope on a $500.00 .22. (Ruger flat refuses to make this right for buyers)

I can't say for sure but most likely this is the last new Ruger gun that I ever buy.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:39 AM
bren_10

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, enough on my (lack of) customer service support & back to my crooked handguard issue.

This morning I finally got it much closer to alignment.

I stuck a piece of round stock in my lathe, then turned a short length to barrel nut spigot diameter. I then left the precision turned round stock in the lathe chuck then installed & tightened the handguard on that turned spigot.

I then spun the chuck slowly & noted the wobble (run-out) in the spinning handguard (it had a pretty decent amount of run-out).

So I pulled, tugged, leaned hard on the front end of the handguard & got most of the front end run-out removed. (took a LOT of force to tweak it straight).

Re-installed it on the gun & it is much closer to centering on the barrel, it's still a millimeter or so out of lateral alignment but hardly noticeable now.

So I guess I will check this one off my to-do list then move on to getting the trigger safety to depress without the crunching & grittiness. (hopefully just a stoning of the sharp side & a diamond file cleanup of the trigger safety channel)