Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Rodmaker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unertl vs Redfield 3200

I have a 513t I want to put a vintage scope on. Allowing that the price of a Redfield 3200 is roughly 50-60% of an Unertl, is there that much difference performance, quality or utility wise?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
None
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
We have a 20X Unertl 1-1/2" and a 24X 3200. As far as these two specific scopes go, I think the 3200 may have a slightly brighter and sharper image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodmaker View Post
I have a 513t I want to put a vintage scope on. Allowing that the price of a Redfield 3200 is roughly 50-60% of an Unertl, is there that much difference performance, quality or utility wise?

Thanks

That's a pretty subjective question and one that will get a bunch of In My Opinion answers. I only have Lyman and Unertl vintage scopes. I like both and I think they are almost equal in comparison. When comparing these types of scopes one must compare apples to apples. In other words, compare scopes from roughly the same date of manufacture. If a Unertl scope is being compared to a Redfield scope that was made 20 years after the Unertl, than that is in no way a fair comparison. Deterioration of glass in these old scopes is a major problem and takes place in many of them. Glass will deteriorate over time even if the scope is not used. It's a fact of life. Now put that same scope to use, meaning get it outside in sunlight and that deterioration can be accelerated.

While I like to think my selection of Lyman and Unertl scopes are the best they can be, I don't kid myself into thinking the lenses are "like new". So while I have no problem using the scope, someone else may look through it and think it's not 100% clear. There are reasons why Unertl's and Lyman scopes command more money than Redfields and the like. The only true test of an old scope and if it's better than another one is to look thru it for yourself. Check the lenses and reticle and run the adjustments to make sure they work properly. Look backwards through an old scope and make sure the interior coating is still intact. I can get a Unertl or Lyman scope repaired fairly easily, but with some waiting time involved. Can the same be said for an older Redfield? And if you buy one off the internet make absolutely certain you have right of return before you punch the "buy it now" button!

Rick H.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:19 PM
landshark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For smallbore youíre probably comparing an 1 1/2 unertl versus a 3200. I think the ultimate smallbore scope would be 24x 3200. 513s are no joke but youíre not going to have the gilt edge accuracy to really tell a difference.

Other unertls either wonít have the magnification or will fit oddly. The 2 inch is really top heavy. A BV20 wonít barrel mount on the 513T. I donít think an inch or an 1 1/8 will go up to 20x which I think is about the minimum to be able to see the bullet impact the target at 200, which is a whole nother level of fun with guns.

I have not shot an 1 1/2 unertl but the 3200 is consistently worth a couple of xís for me over a 1 1/2 Mitchell, and Balvar 24 with unertl mounts on a anschutz 54 shooting lapua center x at 200.

There is some vibration even with .22. I think it sort of loads the externals a little bit.

I think where Unertls really shine is on centerfires because they can take the punishment. If you think you might want to use the scope on a centerfire rifle as well a unertl would be better.

The 3200 is a later design. It has a unique flat image and the adjustments are awesome. I think I heard they used B&L glass.

Unertls are perfect in their own way and itís a privilege to shoot any of the old glass. If I remember correctly Freda at Unertl told me that the lead content is too high for EPA to allow contemporary manufacture of comparable glass. At any rate the image has to be seen to be believed.

Either way youíre way ahead of the game and youíll have a hoot. Unertls are an experience unto themselves.

Steve Earle makes the mounting accessories for both at a very reasonable price.

Iron sights Inc had overhauled my 3200 before I bought it and itís just an insanely good scope.