My 2021-2022 late summer, fall, winter squirrel harvest thread - Page 47 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:39 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
Our Squirrel hunting has been very poor this season, as well as the past 6, here in central Kentucky. Seem like for the past 6 years, our Oaks & Hickory trees have had their mast freeze out in May. It warms up during the Months of March & April causing the Oaks to flower then freeze in May by a hard freeze.
We here actually have a supreme nut crop. The cold back last spring though did seem to wipe out the mulberry crop here mostly. What I am noticing few middle aged squirrels. What I have harvested seems older and younger.

This is not a good season here. With as much hunting as I have done I should have already harvested somewhere in neighborhood of 600 squirrels with still few days in Jan and all of Feb to hunt.

I have talked to some more squirrel hunters and past squirrel hunters who live in what is typically squirrel rich environments. Their reporting reflects them seeing fewer squirrels than usual. Actually they can’t believe or can’t figure out how I have bagged what I have. I showed one gent. Give him a short demo on firing at walnut on a tree nearness his house from 70 yards. Walnut exploded when touched the trigger.

There has been some additional logging that has hurt my totals too. And believe it or not some fencing done.
Lot of property inhunt the fences impede hunting best way sometimes and can force me to have to go around just Tom go pick up a squirrel. Can waste valuable Hunt time. Time management is big time important when trying to fill bag limits.
When squirrels are stirring well, they son’t Stir well forever. One must capitalize on that window of opportunity.

Overall though I am loving this season. I have learned some things and have been using some new equipment (scopes, trigger sticks). Wish I would have has back when what I have today.

Turn 60 in April. My hunting career is well past midway. We’ll see how much longer I can hunt.
I can still hold a gun steady.
Eyes are good with glasses. Side vision though not near as good vs when younger.
Ears. They work but I don’t know truthfully if they are as good as they use to be.
Walking and climbing I can still do.
But my long stick I made is sure helping me do.

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-26-2022 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:10 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
May have to go out today and launch a few bullets at the bushy tails. This afternoon should be good time to hunt. More cold headed in this weekend.
Camera on charge.
Got to do my errands this morning so iíll Can be free this afternoon.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:20 AM
Technician1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cant wait, popcorn ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2022, 07:40 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician1 View Post
cant wait, popcorn ready!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The squirrels I bring back (harvest) won’t be phony one’s either. Lol
Mine will be gray. Or redder if fox squirrel. NOT Green!!

Oh, I always buy (harvest) my limit of 6 mountain dews when I go shopping/ hunting for them.. Lol
Some folks just crack me up.

Did you know I always shoot my squirrels I harvest between the first and second eyelash looking from front corner of either eye. Lol

Need chest waders reading some things on this forum to keep from getting the poopy on one’s self.
Poindexter comes to mind...
Enough humor.

Looking forward to my hunt later today. Hope nothing happens that keeps me from going.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-27-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:08 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hunting for squirrels could help extend your life especially as one gets older.
Recently released study.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dy/9223644002/
Old 01-27-2022, 12:38 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
We here actually have a supreme nut crop. The cold back last spring though did seem to wipe out the mulberry crop here mostly. What I am noticing few middle aged squirrels. What I have harvested seems older and younger.

This is not a good season here. With as much hunting as I have done I should have already harvested somewhere in neighborhood of 600 squirrels with still few days in Jan and all of Feb to hunt.

I have talked to some more squirrel hunters and past squirrel hunters who live in what is typically squirrel rich environments. Their reporting reflects them seeing fewer squirrels than usual. Actually they canít believe or canít figure out how I have bagged what I have. I showed one gent. Give him a short demo on firing at walnut on a tree nearness his house from 70 yards. Walnut exploded when touched the trigger.

There has been some additional logging that has hurt my totals too. And believe it or not some fencing done.
Lot of property inhunt the fences impede hunting best way sometimes and can force me to have to go around just Tom go pick up a squirrel. Can waste valuable Hunt time. Time management is big time important when trying to fill bag limits.
When squirrels are stirring well, they sonít Stir well forever. One must capitalize on that window of opportunity.

Overall though I am loving this season. I have learned some things and have been using some new equipment (scopes, trigger sticks). Wish I would have has back when what I have today.

Turn 60 in April. My hunting career is well past midway. Weíll see how much longer I can hunt.
I can still hold a gun steady.
Eyes are good with glasses. Side vision though not near as good vs when younger.
Ears. They work but I donít know truthfully if they are as good as they use to be.
Walking and climbing I can still do.
But my long stick I made is sure helping me do.
The Squirrels I've harvested this past year were all mature Squirrels of 2 -3 years of age.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:08 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This afternoonís hunt.
Bagged 5.
All grays.
3 females and 2 males.
Fired 5 times
4 of 5 headshot.
Longest shot 76 yards on laser.

Brings career harvest to 51,641
Season total to 321

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z5-IXgkIlg
Old 01-27-2022, 10:40 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Part of todayís harvest.
One dozen of the finest Tn young squirrel legs.
Um Um good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF937B70-A773-48E2-AA86-8A3A984BF4B7.jpg (510.3 KB, 2 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squirrel you know we are both numbers guys and what i mean by that we keep tack and we both keep a journal. I think more info one puts in a journal the more useful it is or at least I think it makes for better reading. I include species ( only grays) sex, age, date of kill, weather, mast conditions for the year , gun, where hit, numbers of squirrels per trip . I think numbers per trip. i don't see that included in your info and I realize that don't mean you don't record it, Do you??

i am penned in again today so I had some time and i don't always read your post but I went through them today, WOW you have definitely had your line in the water I can tell you that. I think my numbers are accurate but I broke my glasses and am using an old pair. But you have went 134 times. That is a lifetime for some LOL.

Anyhow, you have averaged 2.3 squirrels per hunt.
On 50 hunts you have killed one or less.
On 81 hunts you have killed 2 or less.
On 103 hunts you have killed 3 or less. And I just keep running the numbers like this until I get to my total trips for the year.

These are the type of numbers that I record. You may want to also as it tells a lot about the year and along with the dates provides valuable information. For instances it can separate parts of the year and give a better representation of what is really happening often times just a total will skew what really happened . For instances numbers may be high early or late but it can all get lumped into a total. for instances your numbers could pick up big time from here on out and somewhat skew what occured for most of the year. It can also tell one when they may need to make some adjustments. Do whatever works for you, just a suggestion, but I have found more data helpful. Don't forget the mast conditions! Good Hunting!

Last edited by Lerrab; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
Squirrel you know we are both numbers guys and what i mean by that we keep tack and we both keep a journal. I think more info one puts in a journal the more useful it is or at least I think it makes for better reading. I include species ( only grays) sex, age, date of kill, weather, mast conditions for the year , gun, where hit, numbers of squirrels per trip . I think numbers per trip. i don't see that included in your info and I realize that don't mean you don't record it, Do you??

i am penned in again today so I had some time and i don't always read your post but I went through them today, WOW you have definitely had your line in the water I can tell you that. I think my numbers are accurate but I broke my glasses and am using an old pair. But you have went 134 times. That is a lifetime for some LOL.

Anyhow, you have averaged 2.3 squirrels per hunt.
On 50 hunts you have killed one or less.
On 81 hunts you have killed 2 or less.
On 103 hunts you have averaged 3 or less. And I just keep running the numbers like this until I get to my total trips for the year.

These are the type of numbers that I record. You may want to also as it tells a lot about the year and along with the dates provides valuable information. For instances it can separate parts of the year and give a better representation of what is really happening often times just a total will skew what really happened . For instances numbers may be high early or late but it can all get lumped into a total. for instances your numbers could pick up big time from here on out and somewhat skew what occured for most of the year. It can also tell one when they may need to make some adjustments. Do whatever works for you, just a suggestion, but I have found more data helpful. Don't forget the mast conditions! Good Hunting!
I keep two different forms of hunting records. One is a Journal style type of thing and the other is an excel spreadsheet.

I capture a bunch of varied data including; date, location of hunt, temperature at dawn, temperature at noon. I probably should start recording the barometric pressure and it's current trend. I'm convinced that barometric pressure and which way it is going affects squirrel behavior. I wish I had that data from all of the past hunts to verify if there is a definite pattern.

Other data that I collect are moon phase, time of moonrise, time of maximum overhead, time of maximum underfoot plus solunar predictions for best time overall, best time overhead and best time underfoot. Also collect sky condition data; sunny, partly cloudy, overcast, etc.. Wind direction and strength get recorded. Harvest data is included which details how many of each sex were killed and by whom along with information calculated from that data such as, Season SPH (squirrels per hunt) and Career SPH. The Journal also has a one paragraph synopsis of the hunt and another section that contains the menu and beer list.
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have done said I would do end of season summary.

Yeah I have kept my line in the water for a lot of years.

Oh yeah. I have hunted a lot. How else would one bag over 51,000 squirrels?

I posted lot of info involved with advanced squirrel hunting. Some info is basic too. The advanced stuff based on many many hours inntje woods.

Someone here on this forumsome time ago called into question something I said. It was a passing comment from me really. Like I was BSing folks with what I said. So I started posting pics and later started posting videos.

To add here. Have I hunted this season as much as I would have liked?
Nope.
Didn’t last season either.
Why?
Won’t go into details but involves family health issues. (Not any health issues with me, not yet anyways,
Actually some of these issue been going on since Oct 2013. Issues have advanced some over this period so my hunting gradually has been in decline.
But I try and get out and hunt.

Now, honestly I didn't have equipment to do Videos and or take pics when I joined this forum. Didn’t have equipment for several years actually.
Wish I would have.
Would have been very eye opening.
Bagging 240 squirrels in one month time hunting with a pcp air rifle. Just one example.

Last edited by squirrel1; Yesterday at 11:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
silas, I agree can't have too much info. I am always afraid of losing info on a computer. Anyhow, I am with you on the Bar. pressure. But no data to tell me anything I look at my data and make adjustments if necessary every two weeks and I use the info from one year to the next to show squirrel activity patterns. Just a small snapshot of squirrels data.

His first 22 hunts yielded 1.9 squirrels per hunt . his last 22 hunts yielded 3.0 squirrels per hunt. His sightings were not bad. As the season went on more young squirrels became available and his numbers should have climbed as the young are less crafty. So in my opinion stable numbers throughout the season. With a specific goal in mind and having every day to be there I would have changed tactics. But this is only me and not suggesting anyone change anything . Just showing how data can be used. Females are going to come into season and while a bunch of them were removed current data still show they were there during the peak of the breeding season. By that time the data would have showed me to seek those females out. My data over the years will also tell me the peak time. Wherever she is ,she will likely come in if an adult especially with good mast numbers( also recorded) and by Dec. Jan. you have some younger females coming in but their numbers are low that come in. You hunt enough and cover enough ground it isn't hard to catch females in season four or five times a week during the 3 week peak. That is a bag limit of males every time with that type of overall numbers, as my data has shown.
I didn't realize you kept a journal!

Last edited by Lerrab; Yesterday at 06:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
squirrel, I was actually trying to be helpful with what the data showed and what your goal was. I don't know how many days you are actually going to be able to hunt so I thought I would let you know what the data shows relative to your goal. I suspect your numbers will go up from here. Though relatively stable there is an increase in the past 22 hunts and young squirrels are in your areas and are easier to bag.

I again say you are going to be posting about an increase in hunt numbers.

Good Hunting.

Last edited by Lerrab; Yesterday at 01:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
silas, without abundant den trees squirrel numbers will not climb very high with the exception of migrating squirrels. I spring Gobbler hunt and mentally record numbers then also. I should put both of those to parchment, especially the spring numbers but I don't. I always know where to start the following year and generally where to go as the season progresses considering food of course. I only hunt open land and this info has proved helpful.