Carbon Ring cleaning made easy - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-10-2020, 04:20 PM
armtx

Join Date: 
Jul 2013
Location: 
New Orleans LA
Posts: 
1,917
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)


Log in to see fewer ads
I stuff a foam ear plug in the chamber and squirter some Kroil down the barrel.

Let it sit over night and that is usually long enough for the Kroll to soak in behind the ring.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-10-2020, 08:17 PM
oldshot50
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2013
Location: 
Western PA
Posts: 
402
TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
A fellow shooter uses Seafoam to clean his tuner in place. Spray a 3"X3" patch and push it into tuner with a piece of dowel and work it around. I would imagine you could spray a bore mop with it and insert in chamber, allow to soak a bit and then run dry patches to clean out. His tuner always comes out carbonless. But, I would be very careful about contact with the stock and finishes.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2020, 12:16 AM
PEASHOOTER67's Avatar
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2003
Location: 
North west of Ft. Worth
Posts: 
3,327
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post


I love cats. They taste just like chicken!




"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-11-2020, 04:42 PM
CarolinaChuck
US Marines Veteran

Join Date: 
Jul 2010
Location: 
Concord NC
Posts: 
321
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not tried this, but I heard it works well - CLR. Just wondering if anyone else heard about this, or used it?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-12-2020, 02:04 AM
Clem-E's Avatar
Clem-E

Join Date: 
Mar 2007
Location: 
North TX
Posts: 
3,670
TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armtx View Post
I stuff a foam ear plug in the chamber and squirter some Kroil down the barrel.

Let it sit over night and that is usually long enough for the Kroll to soak in behind the ring.
I like to use a mix of 1/3 kroil and 2/3 hoppes #9. works great with a 6mm brush for cleaning the throat.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-12-2020, 08:28 AM
Stockcrafter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2018
Posts: 
84
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too am a fan of Bore Tech C4. The method that I use on my guns that do not have an easily removable barrel - like the 10/22 - is to cut a Q-Tip in half, put a cotton patch over the end & saturate with C4. I then use tweezers to push Q-Tip into the chamber so that the most saturated part is in the area of the carbon ring & let it soak there for about 15 min. I then remove the Q-Tip and follow-up with a clean patch on a pull-through cable. On stubborn rings a second or third application may be needed.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-12-2020, 07:57 PM
timlt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2008
Posts: 
244
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Some good tips in this thread. I like that gunsmither tool, interestingly I have been using an improvised version of that for some time. Just take a needlenose, put a nearly 90 degree bend in a bore brush and a chamber mop. Then attach them as needed to a short section of cleaning rod to insert similar to his tool into the chamber of my MK-series pistol and 10/22's that have slip-fit or receiver-threaded barrels.

However, I'm finding I rarely need to even do that anymore. I do a quick cleaning each range trip by using Otis pull-thru cables with patches and Slip 725 cleaner. That is so effective as it prevents build-up, I can get by a long time doing only that. Occasionally I'll deep clean by using Boretech Eliminator and running an Otis bore brush maybe 10 passes. That will get any copper or stubborn deposits. Always add a light coat of Slip EWL 30 oil when done, seems to bond to the metal and make future cleanings easier. If even the Boretech doesn't get it all, then I resort to my homemade chamber cleaner.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 PM
Alabama358's Avatar
Alabama358
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jul 2019
Location: 
E. Central Bama
Posts: 
143
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So do most Folks use bore scopes to verify their results?

So I picked up one of those Teslong bore-scopes a while back.
Nice tool to have on the bench.
It was really an eye opener for sure (pun intended)
So I was wondering... How many folks are taking a peek down the tube before during or after?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-12-2020, 10:26 PM
DrGunner's Avatar
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 
10,863
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlt View Post
Some good tips in this thread. I like that gunsmither tool, interestingly I have been using an improvised version of that for some time. Just take a needlenose, put a nearly 90 degree bend in a bore brush and a chamber mop. Then attach them as needed to a short section of cleaning rod to insert similar to his tool into the chamber of my MK-series pistol and 10/22's that have slip-fit or receiver-threaded barrels.

However, I'm finding I rarely need to even do that anymore. I do a quick cleaning each range trip by using Otis pull-thru cables with patches and Slip 725 cleaner. That is so effective as it prevents build-up, I can get by a long time doing only that. Occasionally I'll deep clean by using Boretech Eliminator and running an Otis bore brush maybe 10 passes. That will get any copper or stubborn deposits. Always add a light coat of Slip EWL 30 oil when done, seems to bond to the metal and make future cleanings easier. If even the Boretech doesn't get it all, then I resort to my homemade chamber cleaner.

You might want to make yourself one of my design- I make them from normal .22 cleaning rod stock or even better, .25” solid brass rod stock. The finger loop design gives you unparalleled control when short stroking the chamber to remove the carbon ring WITHOUT the brush getting into the leade & rifling. You simply slip your ring finger through the loop and then backstop the far end of the rod using your thumb as shown in the pictures below. There is also a link to a sticky thread in the Shooting Accessories forum with instructions on how to make all of my cleaning tools.


Thread on how to make Gunner Tools:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=504746










DrGunner
__________________
SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-12-2020, 10:51 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

Join Date: 
Jan 2008
Location: 
Montana
Posts: 
1,820
TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Lots of great ideas

This is the way I ..prevent.. CR
I thread on a few felts to the patch worm soaked with the Kroil/Hoppes mix, let it sit over night...


"Perfect"


http://www.patchworm.com/patches-felts.html

-even available in the popular .177 when you get carbon ring there.....





pipestone
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-13-2020, 12:32 PM
timlt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2008
Posts: 
244
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
You might want to make yourself one of my design- I make them from normal .22 cleaning rod stock or even better, .25” solid brass rod stock. The finger loop design gives you unparalleled control when short stroking the chamber to remove the carbon ring WITHOUT the brush getting into the leade & rifling. You simply slip your ring finger through the loop and then backstop the far end of the rod using your thumb as shown in the pictures below. There is also a link to a sticky thread in the Shooting Accessories forum with instructions on how to make all of my cleaning tools.


Thread on how to make Gunner Tools:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=504746










DrGunner
Very cool!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Alabama358's Avatar
Alabama358
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

Join Date: 
Jul 2019
Location: 
E. Central Bama
Posts: 
143
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
You might want to make yourself one of my design- I make them from normal .22 cleaning rod stock or even better, .25” solid brass rod stock. The finger loop design gives you unparalleled control when short stroking the chamber to remove the carbon ring WITHOUT the brush getting into the leade & rifling. You simply slip your ring finger through the loop and then backstop the far end of the rod using your thumb as shown in the pictures below. There is also a link to a sticky thread in the Shooting Accessories forum with instructions on how to make all of my cleaning tools.


Thread on how to make Gunner Tools:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=504746






DrGunner
I need to have a few of these sitting around the bench!
Brilliant design
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-15-2020, 01:33 PM
DrGunner's Avatar
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
Somewhere in the Middle
Posts: 
10,863
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama358 View Post
I need to have a few of these sitting around the bench!
Brilliant design


You can get .25” x 14” brass rod stock on Amazon, a 4 pack is $14.99, free shipping w/prime. You’ll need an 8-32 tap.

You can find rod stock cheaper, if you look- But I have found that purity really matters. If you go cheap, they tend to break when bending them- And I always drill and tap both hands before bending. Also, the ones you see pictured are made from 14 inch rod stock bent around a 5/8 inch spark plug socket which works best because it will lock into a vise on the hex end for stability.
Depending upon the size of your hands and the depth you are trying to reach inside of a chamber/action, you might want to make some shorter starting with say 12 inches.

To the OP-
Good luck – if you have trouble, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

DrGunner
__________________
SCIENTIA EST POTENTIA

Last edited by DrGunner; 10-16-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-02-2020, 07:41 AM
cznut

Join Date: 
Apr 2003
Location: 
Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 
4,237
TPC Rating: 
100% (108)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHI6818 View Post
Try some Bore Tech C4 carbon remover. C4 is fantastic for carbon. Real pleasure to clean my stainless revolvers with it. Wet a patch with C4 and carbon wipes off.
C4 is good stuff, you use a short cleaning rod and jag with a patch and put C4 on it, insert into chamber and let it set for 30 mins, usually gets it with one application, sometimes takes two times to get it, confirmed with bore scope. One could possibly use the carb cleaner mentioned in the same manner.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-02-2020, 03:27 PM
Teachu2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2012
Location: 
Keene, CA
Posts: 
445
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post


You can get .25” x 14” brass rod stock on Amazon, a 4 pack is $14.99, free shipping w/prime. You’ll need an 8-32 tap.

You can find rod stock cheaper, if you look- But I have found that purity really matters. If you go cheap, they tend to break when bending them- And I always drill and tap both hands before bending. Also, the ones you see pictured are made from 14 inch rod stock bent around a 5/8 inch spark plug socket which works best because it will lock into a vise on the hex end for stability.
Depending upon the size of your hands and the depth you are trying to reach inside of a chamber/action, you might want to make some shorter starting with say 12 inches.

To the OP-
Good luck – if you have trouble, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

DrGunner
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the right vendor?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x