Nikon Prostaff rimfire parallax - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:54 PM
jrgreene1968

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nikon Prostaff rimfire parallax

I ordered a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4-12x40 today thinking the parallax was set at 50 yards like the 3x9. I?m wandering if anyone has the 4-12 and could comment how the parallax is on it at 50 yards, since it?s actually set for 75 yards.
I tried to cancel order after I realized they weren?t the same but I was to late.
It will be going on a 10/22 and shoot this particular little gun 95% of the time off the bench at 50
Thanks
Old 10-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All I have is the rimfire II 3-9. And its a little fuzzy shooting groups at 25yds. At 50, not bad at all. My back porch to my target setup is 78yds, and thats mainly where I've paid any attention to it. Its on one of the kid's Henry's, so doesn't get a lot of bench time.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:22 AM
tmen52

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Send a message via AIM to tmen52
Years ago I discovered the Nikon 2-7x32 ProStaff shotgun scope with standard duplex reticle, and for MY eye-sight the 75yd set parallax allowed great accuracy on my rimfires at most any reasonable distance.
I own one of the Nikon 3-9 Rimfire models, nice scope, personally don't care for the BDC reticle so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreene1968 View Post
I ordered a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4-12x40 today thinking the parallax was set at 50 yards like the 3x9. I?m wandering if anyone has the 4-12 and could comment how the parallax is on it at 50 yards, since it?s actually set for 75 yards.
I tried to cancel order after I realized they weren?t the same but I was to late.
It will be going on a 10/22 and shoot this particular little gun 95% of the time off the bench at 50
Thanks
Mine is set to 75 yards. No issues at 50 though. It's actually a far far better scope than I imagined. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
There are mathematical formulas for figuring parallax parameters on the internet and there should be some calculator websites available. I have used some calculator sites in the past but it has been a while so I don't remember the addresses of them. A search should turn something up that would help.

Parallax is zero with your eye perfectly centered behind the scope and occurs as the eye gets away from that center, so the maximum parallax displacement of image versus reticle placement is rarely seen.. It usually bothers me when shooting at less than thirty yards as image focus is poor along with the parallax so it makes too much eyestrain.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:31 AM
bman940
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
scope

I have been using all of the Rimfire scopes offered by Nikon for 8+years now with no issues and not just because I do some freelance work for Nikon either. We did a shooting event where we had steel crows set up at 200 yards using the PROSTAFF Rimfire II 4-12 BDC 150. WE zeroed the scope at 125 yards and the top of the post was 200 yards. Parallax did not seem to make any difference with shooter's ability to impact the steel targets. Very clear and excellent in low light. I think you will be pleased with your new scope.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best scope in my opinion

It's just really hard to beat a Nikon, and their customer service ROCKS.

Lots of folks say "the smaller company's are better with service"....those folks are wrong when it comes to Nikon.

I bought another today to go on a .22mag.

DR
Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 PM
bman940

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinva View Post
It's just really hard to beat a Nikon, and their customer service ROCKS.

Lots of folks say "the smaller company's are better with service"....those folks are wrong when it comes to Nikon.

I bought another today to go on a .22mag.

DR
That is great to hear ! I work with Nikon's CS on occsion and I know they do their best and they are constantly trying to improve turn around time and customer satisfaction. Their warranty is second to none that is for sure. For the amount of scopes Nikon sells it is a very small percentage that truly have a problem.
Thank you for taking the time to write your post drinva.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM
jrgreene1968

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies . I would have just ordered the 3x9 but I thought I read that all the Nikon Prostaff rimfire scopes were parallax free at 50. It wasn?t till after I placed my order I noticed the difference. Guess I?ll see when it gets here
Old 10-23-2017, 03:32 PM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
That is great to hear ! I work with Nikon's CS on occsion and I know they do their best and they are constantly trying to improve turn around time and customer satisfaction. Their warranty is second to none that is for sure. For the amount of scopes Nikon sells it is a very small percentage that truly have a problem.
Thank you for taking the time to write your post drinva.
You're welcome, but to be honest, I'm only telling the truth.

I had a 3-9X50 that failed on a muzzle loader, the windage failed to hold zero, elevation held true. I sent it back and it was back to me in 6-8 days (from when I shipped!) and in my hand fully repaired. The scope got back to me BEFORE the Nikon card they mailed told me they received the scope! It came the next day LOL

Just truth.

DR
Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Racer88
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x scope on a Ruger American Rimfire. Love it.
I have the Nikon M223 3-12x scope on my precision AR-15. Also love it!

Bang for the buck, I think Nikon is really THE scope company for a firearms enthusiast. You really can't beat them. They are reasonably priced, and the optics are excellent.

With a scope with a fixed parallax, the key to success (consistent groups) will be a solid, repeatable cheek-weld.

Last edited by Racer88; 10-24-2017 at 01:29 PM.