Peening with TD's - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:05 PM
maximus83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Peening with TD's

How common is it to see peening on the breech face caused by the firing pin? Not peening that has damaged the bore by creating a burr, but a mild indentation at about 12:00.

Is this an issue with TD's because of the need to let the bolt drop on an empty chamber a few times to 'seat' the barrel after reinserting? Surprising to see evidence of peening occurring in some TD rifles of friends and of mine after less than a few thousand rounds, and this among shooters who know to avoid dry firing. The issue is what's mainly causing the peening, and does it get worse to the point it affects feeding and extraction.
Old 10-28-2020, 05:40 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This problem was noted in the early tds. It was supposedly solved by hardening the chamber tube , which caused them to look discolored , like bade case hardening. My stainless tds chamber tube looked like it was Held over an open flame. Are yours stainless or blue. They shouldnít be doing whatís happening to yours.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:01 AM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It sounds like your firing pin stop is missing or damaged. in a 10/22 the firing pin shouldn't hit the breech face or I'm reading your question incorrectly. The stop is a roll pin that keeps the firing pin from hitting the breech face.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005077112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2020, 09:54 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I have 3 TD's and have never had this problem. This is actually the first time I've heard of it but apparently there are some that have. Is it possible for you to post a picture of yours?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:29 AM
maximus83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here you go, peening at 12 o'clock. No impact on shooting so far, rounds go smoothly into chamber and drop free. Extraction and firing is all good.

Last edited by maximus83; 10-28-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:08 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sure looks like the firing pin to me. Best pull the bolt and check it.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:12 PM
maximus83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Check what? Not sure what I'm looking for. It has a roll pin retainer that holds it in the bolt. Firing pin properly tensioned with FP spring, and retracted normally back within the bolt. When you press on back end of FP it goes forward as normal maybe between 1/32nd and 1/16th of inch or so, but does not extend beyond the face of the bolt. Which I think is as it should be.

Last edited by maximus83; 10-28-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Well it looks like it's definitely been extending past the face of the bolt. That's definitely a firing pin indent. You could try a new firing pin. Personally if it were me I would just grab a new OEM bolt off the Trading Post for $30 - $35. On the other hand I'm not sure how much more damage it can do. It looks like the firing pin has already indented as far as it's going to go. If it's an OEM rifle I would send it to Ruger and let them fix it.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:36 PM
maximus83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah should still be under warranty, will ask them about swapping out bolt and TD barrel.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Yeah should still be under warranty, will ask them about swapping out bolt and TD barrel.
It's technically always under warranty. Just keep in mind if you send it to Ruger remove any aftermarket parts you may have installed and put the OEM one's back in. If you don't you won't get them back when they return the rifle.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:52 PM
whammm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
It's technically always under warranty. Just keep in mind if you send it to Ruger remove any aftermarket parts you may have installed and put the OEM one's back in. If you don't you won't get them back when they return the rifle.
Are we OK if we return them with a BX trigger or the OEM trigger with a Brimstone job? They only take off and keep! non-Ruger parts?

I believe that it happens. It's just still hard to believe that they won't return a non-Ruger trigger, barrel, etc. They wouldn't have to re-install them. Just return them. Perplexed...
Old 11-02-2020, 06:29 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whammm View Post
Are we OK if we return them with a BX trigger or the OEM trigger with a Brimstone job? They only take off and keep! non-Ruger parts?

I believe that it happens. It's just still hard to believe that they won't return a non-Ruger trigger, barrel, etc. They wouldn't have to re-install them. Just return them. Perplexed...

They don't 'keep' aftermarket parts. Why risk loosing expensive aftermarket parts? Ruger is obligated to make the rifle exactly as it was when it left the factory.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Exactly. They will put it back to 100% OEM parts. It is possible that they would replace the parts in the trigger group that were machined by Brimstone because that would be modified OEM parts. If you don't have an OEM trigger group to put in it to send then I would just send it without a trigger group installed. Not sure on the BX. You would think they would leave it alone since it's an unmodified Ruger part, but I'm not 100% sure. The reason they do this is because they can't be responsible for parts that were manufactured or modified by someone else.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:12 PM
FlysAlot

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Exactly. They will put it back to 100% OEM parts. It is possible that they would replace the parts in the trigger group that were machined by Brimstone because that would be modified OEM parts. If you don't have an OEM trigger group to put in it to send then I would just send it without a trigger group installed. Not sure on the BX. You would think they would leave it alone since it's an unmodified Ruger part, but I'm not 100% sure. The reason they do this is because they can't be responsible for parts that were manufactured or modified by someone else.

as always Nick is spot on!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:46 PM
maximus83

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got both barrel and bolt replaced under warranty. Tried both yesterday, about 150 rds downrange, no issues with recurrence of peening.

TBH, feeling a little superstitious now about dry firing this one, not wanting to risk more damage (even though I've never been squeamish about dry firing other 10/22's and rimfire if OEM says it's ok). So if I do dry fire this particular rifle will use snap caps. And I'm actually counting my shots at the range so when mag runs dry no more dropping the firing pin on an empty chamber.