Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:38 PM
MT_Pockets

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bore Guides

Hello all,

I've had bad luck after bad luck with finding good rods and bore guides. Ivy is not making rods any more so I went with Holeshot rods purchased at Killough after reading some good reviews. Next is Lucas and M-Werks are not building bore guides any longer and I've not found a suitable replacement for the quality of the afore mentioned manufacturers. Can someone steer me in the direction of a quality bore guide for a .187" rod that fits my 52E?

Brad
Old 10-28-2020, 01:49 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Are you asking about a "bore guide" that replaces the bolt when removed for cleaning? As for those, I see them often enough for sale in domestic shooting supply magazines.

Or are you located in the UK?
Old 10-28-2020, 04:00 PM
Hip's Ax
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Hip's Ax
The matching the rod diameter is a bench rest thing. Here's what a lot of us use.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ions&item=CC52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2020, 04:35 PM
peyton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sinclair bore guides sells them
Old 10-28-2020, 08:36 PM
LimehouseBlues

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip's Ax View Post
The matching the rod diameter is a bench rest thing. Here's what a lot of us use.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ions&item=CC52
If be interested to hear if there's a common rod that folks use.

I'm using my .17 pro shot polished steel rod but there's got to be something of a better flex and length...I have to be careful when I clean the gun.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2020, 07:12 AM
MT_Pockets

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies so far. The Sinclair guide is labeled for a B, would it work with an E International? The Champions Choice guide appears to be aluminum so I like that, but it is not indicated which of the 52 models it will fit. I'm pretty set on having a guide that matches the rod diameter. First of all I have a lot invested in this rifle so I want to protect it the best I can. The ratio of rod diameter to rod length indicates that the better I can support the rod, the better off I'll be. I will be shooting this rifle a lot which will lead to more cleaning which in turn will provide me with more opportunities to compromise the bore while cleaning it.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:58 AM
Hip's Ax

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Hip's Ax
The 52B requires an extra machining cut to clear the safety. See this thread for explanation and photo.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1190565&page=2

If you want something special (like a certain internal size to match your cleaning rod) you are going to have to have a gunsmith make it, I am not aware of anyone currently doing this on a production basis.

Prone shooters clean a lot too, some after each match which is cleaning 4 times a day. My rifles shoot fine dirty so I just clean at the end of each day. Prone matches are typically 2 days 160 record rounds a day plus sighters.

I had a gunsmith friend make me a bore guide for my Morgan and he did the screw in bushing that matches my cleaning rod diameter. I can't push a speared 1 1/8" patch through the bushing and there is no way I am going to remove and reinstall the bushing for each patch so I use the bore guide without the bushing and all is well.

The CC bore guide should be fine and Dewey coated rods are popular.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:07 AM
MT_Pockets

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up clean as a whistle

I took Hip's Ax advise and tried the bore guide from Champions Choice. It works well but I have to loosen the screws on my action and slide a zip tie between the bedding and action to provide enough clearance for the bore guide to be inserted in the action without interfering with the stock. I should mention that the rifle I own is a 52e International. I like the 44" x .187" Hole Shot Rod too. League shooting begins at the end of this month. I'm looking very much looking forward to that.

thanks for all of your help and comments
Brad