Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1914 pump .22 jams

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Babysitr 
#1 ·
my grandfather left me a 1914 he bought new probably about 1916/ SN 23940. decent shape but hasn't worked since???? the rifle fires,extracts and ejects fine. next round wont line up with chamber properly, unless you pump very slowly and pushing in on the action control bar helps too..parts inside look rather clean except the pin on the follower looks worn, pin on cartridge stop appears to have been filed down? the whole carrier looks suspect to me. I will try to post pics...Guys on S&W forum sent me here. tired of spending $ just to hear...gun is junk....cant get parts....ect ect... would sure appreciate any help I can get,as its a family heirloom

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That pin is supposed to be as it is. I can't see anything wrong but that piece is supposed to be spring loaded and it doesn't look like your actually holding it down?

You mention that pushing in on the slide arms seems to help, have you put a straight edge on it to see if it's bowed out? The grooves on the inside of it are what operates the lifter, the grooves look good working on the pin on the side of the lifter - that pin actually looks like it might be slightly bent?

If you have to look for parts there are at least two different lifter designs, yours is the earliest.

#3 ·
thanks, yes,I was holding that piece down,its spring loaded...the pin you said may be bent is the one I suspect is an issue..all the springs inside appear to be there and working correctly. that pin is either bent,or,its badly worn. you said the other one that appears to be filed in half is OK, that's good. kind of looks like the lifter (carrier) has been bent,filed ect. is the carrier pin a drive out to replace? it looks to be larger on one end than the other. can you suggest a parts outlet for the pin, or if its part of the carrier, even better.....THANK YOU

#4 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how that pin comes out. Looking at your pictures again it does look like the right side of the lifter is bend in but that might just be due to the angle of the picture.

I pulled a couple and found a little difference and that one would not feed, it sounds like it has some of the same issues as yours.

One has the pin you asked about filed down half way and the other doesn't, but that has nothing to do with mine not feeding, if I swap in the bolt from the other one it will feed perfectly, so the lifter is not the issue.

I found the bad bolt had an firing pin that looked modified and an extractor that was modified or broken, the extractor seems to be the issue. I did a little touchup on the bottom point and got it to start to function. I notice the extractor spring was much stronger in the bad bolt, when I had the firing pin out I shortened it slightly but I think it is still to strong and is the problem now. It will feed if it's work slow & wiggled slightly but it still is not smooth and will not allow the spring pressure from the lifter to push the cartridge up all the way into loading position, it's held back by the pressure from extractor.

I noticed in the pictures that the prongs on the left side of the bolt looked tight, I also opened them up a little with some fine sand paper & smoothed the face of the bolt which also helped.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks, I had already watched the video....very nice job. mine has feeding issues that at this point with Sav22's help, I've gotten it to about 75% loading success...think I need a new lifter or pin for the lifter....any ideas on parts?? looks to be an issue....Babysitr:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.