Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 547

267K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  BobSc 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd mention that I visited a gun shop and they told me that you can now order the Remie 547. They said the retail price was around $1300 for the LR version and they were willing to sell it for about $1050.

The price shocked me. I was expecting them to sell for around $800 like the Weatherby. So, I have a feeling this model will not last long in the market as it is priced in the Anshutz/Cooper area. Any thoughts?

As an aside, I looked at the new Ruger LCP 380 auto pocket model in person. It will be priced around $300. Kel Tec will not be able to compete with the new pocket auto with the strong Ruger name. The Rugers aren't for sale yet. I don't particularly like pocket autos, but I frankly was wanting to reach for my wallet on this one. It's sweet with a 8 lb trigger.

#2 ·
Kel Tec will not be able to compete with the new pocket auto with the strong Ruger name. The Rugers aren't for sale yet. I don't particularly like pocket autos, but I frankly was wanting to reach for my wallet on this one. It's sweet with a 8 lb trigger.
Gotta' say I was not at all impressed with the .380 Kel Tec I shot... I would not trade my CZ 50 (.32 Auto) for it.

#3 ·
I am not inpressed with Remington lately, you are better off buying a Weatherby or Anschutz or spend a little more for a Cooper. If thats the kind of money you want to spend. Remington from my opinion is sliding down hill on quality. Just read some of the threads on this Remington site and you will see what I am saying. The best REmington rifle's were made during the 60's 70's and 80's. I was having high hopes for the REmington 504 but had to order a barrel to shoot accurate groups at 50 yards.

#4 · (Edited)
I am of the same mind, they need to prove to me that they still can do it on the rimfires. I too had high hopes on the 504, but when the problems came out about inaccuracy, well I just didn't buy one. I refuse to purchase a high-dollar rifle and then have to buy a custom barrel to get it to shoot like it should have to begin with.

Now, I am not bashing Remington, lord knows I have enough of their guns in my safe.

My pride and joy is my 541-S that I purchased when I was 16 years old. I purchased it in 1979 and paid $335 for it back then. You do the math and see what you would pay for the same gun in today's dollars.

Now, used 541-s (forget the -T, I had one and it was not fit to be in the same gunsafe as my 541-S) will go for around $700 in good shape. They are a sure thing as far as a shooter goes as I have yet to hear of one that will not shoot well. My only complaint is the same as others...the magazines. However, they do feed reliably and it is something I am used to.

I will look into the 547, but will wait for quite a while before thunking down any money on one.

My faith in the big green has been really shaken and I just don't trust them to produce a quality shooter that will even hang with the 541-S.

Besides, I am getting a big case of CZ-itis and am having fun with those rifles. Heck, if you shop right, you could get four CZ 452 rifles for the price of that new 547---AND I guarantee you the CZ will shoot well.

#5 · (Edited)
I have the 541-S also. It is my favorite overall. Also have the Weatherby. The gun shop I went to has a 541-T for sale for $450. I ddin't look at it or confirm pice.

These are a little different animal than the Model 504 or Model 5.

From Remingtons site:
Model 547™ Features

Guaranteed 1/2" 5-shot group @ 50 yards accuracy with gallery tested target included

"Buffed" high-polish blued action and button-rifled 22" Shilen barrel

Match chamber (22 LR) with concave "dish" crown

Redesigned bolt styled after the popular Model 700™ Bolt

Integrated one piece bolt-handle and cocking piece to eliminate loose bolt handles

Redesigned stock with "CDL Style" checkering and black fore-end tip and grip cap

Black e-coat magazine box for extreme durability

Custom Shop tuned fire control set at 3 lbs

Hard case included
My purpose in posting this was that I have been checking farily regularly on ordering one of these and knew nothing about the retail price or availability. I had heard they would be available in May. It's March. I figured I can't be the only person who is interested or potentially interested in one of these and the availability is important as was the mystery price.

Anyone else been quoted a price yet? Gun shop said they would not be ordering any of these to put behind the counter. It will be special order only.

I believe this rifle is a bit different than the 504 considereing it has a Shelen barrel and is guaranteed to group 1/2" or less at 50 yds. Maybe the price is not so far out of line with the Shelen barrel since many of their barrels run $800-$1000 each.

#6 ·
Remington uses Shilen barrels on the 547 and went to a once piece bolt handle, fixing the two problems I'm acquainted with in the 504. As of July '07 their Custom Shop (source of the 547) had not received the tooling. 547's in .17 HMR began appearing in the fall, ahead of the .22 LR models. Pricing between the Weatherby and its big brothers, the Anschutz 1710 and 1712, is probably accurate.

It would still interest me to know what went wrong with the 504! It should have been world class.

#8 ·
Remington uses Shilen barrels on the 547 and went to a once piece bolt handle, fixing the two problems I'm acquainted with in the 504. As of July '07 their Custom Shop (source of the 547) had not received the tooling. 547's in .17 HMR began appearing in the fall, ahead of the .22 LR models. Pricing between the Weatherby and its big brothers, the Anschutz 1710 and 1712, is probably accurate.

It would still interest me to know what went wrong with the 504! It should have been world class.
The most important thing that went wrong with the 504 is remington used older machinery for the most critical part of the gun. The tooling cost for new rifleing was beyond what they wanted to spend. Then some over educated genuis decided to put in 1 in 14 instead of the proven 1 in 16 rifleing. Adding another fact was remington's shortage of trained quailty control people and bam the 504 was born. There's a couple more reason but the 504 is an old horse beat to death several time's. Now my comment's do not include the the heavy barrel 17hmr or the 17mkII. The heavy barrel 22lr fair's not much better than the sporter barrel 22lr model. I believe that some folk's here call the remington 504 22lr barrel's TOMATO STAKE's. I own two of the critter's myself both sporter barrel model's. I bought both as project's to keep me cussing all winter and they did keep me busy. The first one I've been working with is now shooting excellent with SK subsonic's. The second one I'm saving my pennie's for a new barrel from lilja but in 17mkII.

#10 · (Edited)
I had checked one place on pricing as I knew almost nothing about the barrels made by Shilen. Thanks for the link. I shoot my rifles the way they come from the factory except for prehaps a trigger job or scope. At this point price makes no difference, it is a done deal. I'll shoot the thing later on this spring after I get a scope for it. I have other rifles waiting for scopes too.

#16 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Got mine today. The test target was nothing great. The Weatherby test target had a much better group. Anyway, it is really a beautiful rifle. I hope it shoots better than the test target or Remington will see this one again. I believe I'm done buying 22 rifles for a while. This one was painful.

#14 ·
I'll sure be interested in hearing the results. There's been a tremendous amount of negative feed back on the new Rem., some deserved and some not. My new 504's were great shooters and caused me to consider the 547, but a super deal came along on a new Sako Quad (single barrel) and I took it. It shot so well that when another Sako deal appeared I went with it also. All told, I ended up with 2 Sako's for about the price of one 547 and with what I've read so far, they are every bit as accurate. The way things look, I'm done buying new Rem. rimfires.

#18 · (Edited)
Rimfire and Centerfire Matched Set

The best reason to buy a 547 Custom?

Model 547™ Custom

Caliber: 22 Long Rifle, Mag Cap: 6,
Barrel Length: 22", OA Length: 39 1/2",
Avg. Wt. (lbs.): 6 1/4, MSRP: $1,284

Remington Press Release:
The redesigned, fine-quality walnut stock mirrors the classic lines of the Model 700 CDL™ with a straight comb ....
If you're a centerfire shooter and/or hunter,
having a rimfire practice rifle that mimics the
handling characteristics of your centerfire
is an irresistible idea.

Model Seven™ CDL™

Caliber: 260 Remington, Mag. Cap.: 4,
Barrel Length: 20", OA LengthA: 39 1/4",
Avg. Wt. (lbs.): 6 1/2, MSRP: $929

Ever since I sold my Ruger Ultralight and Ruger 77/22.
I've been looking, long and hard, for a centerfire/rimfire combination as this.

I sold my .308 Win Ultralight because I'm recoil sensitive.
You can imagine, rifle with scope weighing 7 1/4 pounds, firing a 150 grain bullet,
ten rounds later ... I had a headache.

So, I bought a 77/22 and mounted a duplicate centerfire scope.
Parallax corrected at 60 yards by Leupold at no charge - Gold Ring.
(Single at the time ... didn't have to justify anything to anyone ... but, myself)
Not a perfect mimic of my Ultralight ... but, tolerable.

Model Seven™ 25th Anniversary Edition

Caliber: 7mm-08 Remington, Mag. Cap.: 4,
Barrel Length: 22", OA Length: 39 1/4",
Avg. Wt. (lbs.): 6 1/2, MSRP: $969

Now, with the development of the 260 Remington,
I can have a soft-shooting, but, reasonably powerful 6.5mm.

But, I do like the looks of the 25th Anniversary Edition.
I believe, I might be able to manage the recoil of a 7mm-08.
And, its two inch longer barrel (22 inch) makes for better
ballistics efficiency than the 20 inch barrel of the CDL.

However, I wasn't expecting the rimfire to cost more than the centerfire.
In this case, the Seven will be playing second fiddle to the 547.

I'm waiting (hesitating) to buy a 547, until I'm able to review field reports.
Gosh, I hope I won't be disappointed.

So many guns ... so little money ... more overtime.

#22 ·
The best reason to by a 547 Custom?

Model 547™ Custom

If you're a centerfire shooter and/or hunter,
having a rimfire practice rifle that mimics the
handling characteristics of your centerfire
is an irresistible idea.

I'm waiting (hesitating) to buy a 547, until I'm able to review field reports.
Gosh, I hope I won't be disappointed.
.[/URL]
Me too.
25-06 with a fresh checkering touch-up.:cool:

#19 ·
I plan to shoot a 504 action in a Nesika stock with a Lilja barrel in silhouette competition this year, ao we'll see how well it stands up to 1,000 rounds a month plus dry fire drill. For high power silhouette I have a Remington 700 CDL stainless in Remington .260 in a synthetic stock that will only have to deal with 100-200 rounds a month (pray for my shoulder - even a .260 can hurt after awhile).

#24 ·
My first time posting, but I figure it's worth weighing in for my $.02. Some previous posters have questioned how the Remington 547 compares with some of its competition. I now own or have owned a number of high quality 22 LR sporters, including Anschutz 54 and 64 sporters, Browning T-2 and A-Bolt, CZ 452, Cooper JSR, Kimber 82, Winchester (Miroku) Model 52-B sporter, a Remington 541-S, and now a Remington 547. My impression is that it is very much like the 541-S - weight, handling characteristics, and appearance, except the 547 has a much nicer bolt handle, and of course the Shilen barrel with match chamber. The test target supplied had a 100 yd 5-shot group of 0.9 inches, as compared with an advertised spec of 0.5 inch at 50 yards. No, it isn't equal to a Cooper that guarantees 0.25 inch groups (with Lapua Midas M), and has AA or better wood, but the 547 costs a bit less. If you want the most rifle for the money, CZ is the way to go. Next step up, is the Anschutz 64 sporter, and the Weatherby Mark XXII (Anschutz 64 with much better wood). Most accurate (and most expensive) are the Anschutz 54 and Cooper. I suspect the Remington 547 will do better than the supplied test target with some trials of different ammo. Remington ought to provide a test target that shows what ammo was used, and the impression would be much better if the test target was a standard target, rather than a small piece of paper cut with scissors. It makes you wonder if Remington really wants to sell these. Note that Cooper and Remington are the only American made guns on the list above. If made in USA is important to you, your choices are very limited for a quality 22 sporter. I am pleased with the 547, as I think it is a good balance of accuracy, cost, looks, and Custom Shop built.

#25 ·
Pictures - Please

I now own .... a Remington 547....
Remington ought to provide a test target that shows what ammo was used ....
I am pleased with the 547, as I think it is a good balance
of accuracy, cost, looks, and Custom Shop built.
How about posting some pictures of your rifle.
And, the target provided by Remington.

A test target signed by the factory shooter, for me, is a source of pride.
And, a sign of the factorys confidence in its product.

When documenting a rifles accurracy,
noting the brand/type of ammo is, simply, good procedure.
And, would be very relevent information for the consumer.

Wouldn't it be intersting to know whether the test target was fired
with Remington ammunition - or, if it wasn't.

As a shooter, knowing the make of the test ammo would cause me
to consider buying that specific ammo for my personal use.

It would be good marketing by Remington,
if the test ammo was manufactured by Remington.

#27 ·
Reply to AOM22:

I don't have a digital camera yet - I've been spending my money on rifles! :)

I agree with you 100% on your comments regarding Remington's sloppy effort regarding the test target and the lack of information regarding the ammo used for the test. The guy at the Ilion Custom Shop did sign the target, btw. I also agree that Remington is missing a great marketing opportunity. The fact that the 547 is a limited production rifle makes me wonder if they're doing this as an attempt to attract more business for their Custom Shop. I was under the impression that the Custom Shop guns had a long waiting time for delivery and are at a much higher price, so there may be other motives for the limited production. I'm seriously considering ordering another one, so I'll have one to shoot and another as an investment.

As mentioned previously, the gun feels and looks very much like the old 541-S. It is noticeably lighter than the Cooper JSR, so I think it will still be comfortable with a scope.

#31 · (Edited)
Remington Custom Shop

I also agree that Remington is missing a great marketing opportunity.
I don't understand the breakdown in marketing.
Why the Remington sales and advertising departments
don't capitalize on this opportunity is inexplicable.

I suspect that the heads of these departments
are well-qualified business professionals.
But, they may not be firearm enthusiasts.

The fact that the 547 is a limited production rifle makes me wonder
if they're doing this as an attempt to attract more business for their Custom Shop.
There is a market in the USA for premium rimfire rifles or pistols.
But, it is a small market -
S&W Model 41,
Savage Mark II Classic,
Weatherby Mark XXII®,
Kimber 22,
Cooper 57M,
Anschutz Sporters,
Walther Sporting Weapons, etc.
(I'm sure I've left some pertinent manufacturer out ...
it is not intentional - just a few off the top of my head.)​
Remington, as a matter of pride and industry leadership,
wishes to maintain a presence in this prestigious niche.

I was under the impression that the Custom Shop guns had a long waiting time for delivery
and are at a much higher price, so there may be other motives for the limited production.
The Remington Custom Shop is, actually, a specialized, limited-production shop.
An in-house mini-factory, a semi-custom work-center producing short-run series of firearms.
Fabricating a sequence of formula rifles, rather than ... just a few, helps keep costs down.

However, the relatively small sales numbers generated by these series
wouldn't warrant a full-production run.

As such, the Custom Shop only has a limited number of models
that are in current production ... ready-made and on-the-shelf.

If a customer isn't satisfied with an off-the-shelf, custom shop model.
He my specify changes he desires by special order.
Such as, an up-graded stock, iron sights or different barrel length, etc.
Then, the wait kicks-in.

Boy! ... did I beat this horse to death - sorry.

#29 · (Edited)
Remington Centerfire Forum

Is anyone aware of any good Remington Centerfire Forums?

I'm trying to find more information on the Mountain Rifles with
detachable box magazines and walnut stocks.

I've been doing some internet research ... haven't found much information
beyond ad info.

Can anyone help?

#30 ·
AOM, my centerfire silhouette rifle is a 700 CDL SS with detachable magazine in Remington .260, similar to what you're asking about. The action was trued by a previous owner and I put it in a Bell & Carlson stock that's more stable than the factory walnut. Walnut and blue steel are beautiful and nostalgic, but stainless and synthetic are better for competition.

#32 · (Edited)
#33 ·
1. The pictures of the 547 from the auction site are pretty similar to how my gun looks. Apparently Remington figures that they nay as well use a grade of wood that won't keep their owners from taking it out in the woods. Respectable - yes, Gorgeous - no. So be it - there are people that can do gorgeous custom stocks if you want to pay the price.

2. Correction to my earlier comment on the group in my test target supplied: the 100 yd group (5 shot) is 0.816 inches (courtesy of my new vernier calipers), rather than the 0.9 inches I stated in an earlier post. That should translate to a maximum of 0.408 inches at 50 yds, and probably would be a little less than that, since a 22 lr group tends to spread in a non-linear fashion as the distance increases.

3. You will notice the test target in the auction site photo was cut rather crudely, not signed, and no information provided about ammo used or group size. Apparently, the good folks at Remington don't pay attention to what the competion at Cooper and Kimber do - or don't care. Go figure!

4. Thanks for the information provided about the Remington Custom Shop! Pity that they don't realize the impression that a neat, informative test target has in helping people make their buying decisions.

#37 · (Edited)
Remington Literature

I was under the impression that the test target is 50 yds not 100 yds. Is that in the literature?
Press Release: Firearms

Remington® Model 547™ Custom Classic Rimfire
- The Ultimate in Rimfire Performance and Design

Attention to fit-and-finish details and use of these competition-quality barrels
allow Remington to guarantee sub-inch, five-shot group accuracy at 100 yards.

Each Model 547 is accuracy tested in the stock, just as the end-user will receive the gun,
not in a slave fixture as most standard accuracy tests are performed by other manufacturers;
and our gallery test target is included with each rifle.
I read the entire press release ...
can't determine if the test target was fired at 100 yards or not.
50 yard target ... interpolated to 100 yards ???

#38 · (Edited)
GunBroker: 547 Classic 17 HMR 22" Custom .17 - CLOSED

Posting this closed auction because of the photos and actual price paid.
Not many non-factory images available.

547 Classic 17 HMR 22" Custom .17 NEW!!
Current Bid $920.00
Started at $920.00
CLOSED

Very plain stock ... disappointing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.