Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington 547

267K views 1K replies 112 participants last post by  BobSc 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd mention that I visited a gun shop and they told me that you can now order the Remie 547. They said the retail price was around $1300 for the LR version and they were willing to sell it for about $1050.

The price shocked me. I was expecting them to sell for around $800 like the Weatherby. So, I have a feeling this model will not last long in the market as it is priced in the Anshutz/Cooper area. Any thoughts?

As an aside, I looked at the new Ruger LCP 380 auto pocket model in person. It will be priced around $300. Kel Tec will not be able to compete with the new pocket auto with the strong Ruger name. The Rugers aren't for sale yet. I don't particularly like pocket autos, but I frankly was wanting to reach for my wallet on this one. It's sweet with a 8 lb trigger.

#411 ·
Art;

It almost looked like the pressure pad on mine had been ground out, at least there were faint tool marks perpendicular to the grain where a pressure pad would have been in a 504 Sporter. I'm not sure why that would be, since the Classic stock (let alone the "C" stock) is probably enough different from the 504 to need a new pattern.

You know, I'm not sure what a "C" grade sells for but it's probably no more than a new Anschutz 1712, but the wood is better, you can order it with custom refinements, it shoots MOA or better out of the box and it's US made. A 547 Classic like mine is all of those things with less polish and a "plainer" stock for considerably less than the Anschutz. The 1712 has a better trigger, but on balance the 547 is quite a bargain.

#413 ·
Art;

It almost looked like the pressure pad on mine had been ground out, at least there were faint tool marks perpendicular to the grain where a pressure pad would have been in a 504 Sporter. I'm not sure why that would be, since the Classic stock (let alone the "C" stock) is probably enough different from the 504 to need a new pattern.
Bob - are you saying the CS completely eliminated the wooden 'pressure pad' on your 547 Classic and you can run the 'dollar bill' trick between the bbl. and forearm from the fore end tip all the way to the recvr. ?

Very unique and the 1st time I've heard of this on the 'Classic'.

Way neat rifle with many subtle refinements as you mentioned!!!

Art :)

#418 ·
Hi Art,

Greetings from Skagway Alaska! I'm in the Blue Diamond Suite aboard the Norwegian Jewel. We are going horseback riding in while.

My 547-T-HB is not pillar bedded. It does not have the pressure point. The inletting of the stock appears the same as my 504-T-HB. Remember the T's have a shorter, stiff barrel; which are not usually given a pressure pad.

#420 ·
Thanks Art. My wife got into Diamonds International @ Kitchacan. Whenever Dawn gets into Diamonds International, it costs me $$$! Okay, I did buy a Philip Stein watch for me. ;) 'Cause it's almost the end of the season (3 weeks left) I made them give me a package deal.

I'm so gonna miss my butler, concierge & steward when we get home! :eek:

Back to the 547. The area of the stock ( inletting) behind the trigger will need relieved slightly.

Mark

#423 · (Edited)
remington

gee whiz my kimber 82c was made quite a few years ago and it has pillars and I did not have to go thru a custom shop and pay 100 dollars extra for it either. Maybe if they sell enough of them with pillar bedding they would make it a standard thing which they should have done in the first place. I would like a 547 and if I order one IT WILL BE PILLAR BEDDED! It just bothers me that something that is being made in the custom shop to begin with should be coming as a no cost option. Take that 100 dollars and put it towards a c grade with up graded wood.

#425 · (Edited)
Remington 547 Action Screws

Hi,

A friend has a Beautiful Remington 547 Target. 22LR
I didnt come pillar bedded and he is asking if i can do a Pillar bedding job.
He thought it would of been bedded from the Remington CS.

I need to get information together before I can tell him I can, one of the last pieces of information I need is the Action Screw Size and Threads per inch.

I will need this info as Stock Inletting Screws are used in preperation for the pillar Bedding process.
This is one beautiful rifle and deserves all the detail required for a good Bedding Job.

I really appreciate it if you can help me with this Info.:)

Thanks

#426 ·
Hi,

A friend has a Beautiful Remington 547 Target. 22LR
I didnt come pillar bedded and he is asking if i can do a Pillar bedding job.
He thought it would of been bedded from the Remington CS.

I need to get information together before I can tell him I can, one of the last pieces of information I need is the Action Screw Size and Thread size.

I will need this info as Stock Inletting Screws are used in the Bedding process. This is one beautiful rifle and deserves all the detail required for a good Bedding Job.

I really appreciate it if you can help me with this Info.:)

Thanks
Can you verify which recoil lug your friend's 547 Target uses? The easy way to check is, if you can adjust the trigger with the lug in place, it's the short lug, but otherwise it's the much more common long one.

#427 ·
Remington 547 Recoil lug

Bob,

I believe I will see him on Wednesday at a Retiree Shoot, I will ask if he knows.
I know he has had it out of the stock and did some adjstments on the triger Pull.

I saw your Pictures on the Remington Custom Shop Pillar Bedding, they did an excellent Job. I will also show my friend those pictures and see if he doesn't want to send it back to Remington for their Pillar Bedding work?

Do you have any more pictures of the bedding & Pillars you could send me?
Looking at the Rear Pillar, it appears the Recoil Lug seats into the rear pillar.

Is this a tight fit or loose with the recoil lug seating against the rear inside of the pillar?
I would suspect no recoil contact with the inside Botton of the pillar.

Thanks for any info youy can share with me.:)

That Remington 547 Custom Target is a beautiful Rifle! :bthumb:
I can send you my email info if you have more to share(Via PM)

Thanks,
Steve

#428 ·
You're right, the lug does seat into the rear pillar although there is no contact on the sides. When epoxy bedding a 504 I put one wrap of electrical tape around the recoil lug to get that gap, but they wanted show off their machining skills, so they did it in aluminum! The bottom of the lug probably does contact the bedding pillar otherwise, without that clamping force, working the bolt would cause the action to rotate in the stock.

I'll try to get some more pictures, but fall semester has started with a vengeance!

#434 ·
Very nice rifles and shooting here. Been following this thread awhile now. Been leary of ordering. Prefer to see before I buy. Finally found a C to look at. These are some nice rifles. Would have bought the C if the seller did,nt want nearly $300 more than what my lgs could order for. Gun was nice but was,nt upgrade wood or bedded. Probally just going to have to order one and hope for the best. Thanks for all info and photos here. Do appreciate it.

#438 ·
Shane replied back he asked for my phone number.
I see you guys are talking about scope bases, apparently
they are not standard 700/40X bases, I wonder why? is it
the diameter of the receiver different? another thing, has anyone
asked about open sights? these are a couple things I asked
Shane about. thanks, Douglas

#439 ·
...apparently
they are not standard 700/40X bases
, I wonder why? is it
the diameter of the receiver different? another thing, has anyone
asked about open sights? these are a couple things I asked
Shane about. thanks, Douglas
Douglas - I just mic'd my 40XB Repeater and its recvr. dia. was: 1.3485"

My 547 Classic recvr. dia. mic'd out at: 1.1935"
So the radius is quite a bit different as you can see.

I never asked the Rem CS about 'iron sights' on the 547. Neat idea! What did the CS say???

#440 ·
I'm waiting for Shane to call me back, if he's anything like
Keith was, it will be a day or two. I don't know what to expect
from Rem regarding time frame. I waited 10mos for a custom
action, and I have been waiting since May for a custom rifle.
Seems these things take a loooong time to get. thanks, Douglas

#441 ·
custom shop

I talked to shane today and he explained to me he is the only one that does the customer support in the custom shop as doing the work orders writing up orders and etc etc. He took my order today for a new rifle after 2 days of phone tag and e-mails. Be patient he is a extremely busy man.

#443 ·
Well, I think I have a C grade ordered, talked to Shane once
on the phone, and a couple emails. It's hard to communicate since
he's a one man operation and never answers his phone, so it's
a challenge. He quoted me $100 for iron sights, I asked him what
make and model, a hundred dollars can't buy too much and I won't
settle for just any old sights. my list is iron sights, glass and pillared,
jeweled bolt, high gloss finish, ebony tips, and .22lr. thanks, douglas

#445 ·
Doug - As Bob mentioned, you're gonna have an incredible rifle when it is completed! The options you've requested will make that 'C' Grade a real 'knock out' !!! :bthumb:

As you know, with as many options as you've ordered, keeping that order sheet (From the CS) in a safe place will be paramount to document the rifle's authenticity (especially the iron sights option) for the future. Same issue with the Win. 52B Sporters that were D&T'd from the factory and don't have the original paperwork for verification and value sake. Something is tellin' me these rifles will become quite collectable.

Question, any desire to have 'engraving' performed on it ???

Pics are going to be mandatory when you get her in your possession! :D

Big 'Congrats'...

BTW, Shane is way over his head right now with trying to get a handle on all the work that Keith Dye performed for the CS on a daily basis. So you need to cut him a little slack with all the emails, phone calls, orders, etc. etc. he performs daily.

#448 ·
Bob C, does your classic have ebony or rosewood tips?
Also, how much did you pay? The C grade is around $2K.
Mine is the Classic, not the "C" grade, so it was commensurately less, a bit more than half the cost of yours. I feel like it's a lot of rifle for the money, and that it probably should have cost more! They are that nice.

They're working on a 700 North American for me now (this could be a very bad, very expensive habit - Remington CS is like crack!) that, "regrettably", is stainless in an H&S precision stock, while the purist in me really wants blued steel in walnut. It will shoot better this way, but rifles are supposed to be blued steel in a walnut stock! :eek:man:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.