Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM
jbrentd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Keep up the good work Frank. Glad to see you've decided to move ahead with this project.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:21 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yeah, sometimes there are...

Yeah, sometimes there are years between my stops and starts on project rifles!!! Just the way I work!!!
Haven't done any work on the rifle but I did order some tooling to hopefully take care of the machining that will be necessary to cut the extractor/ejector slot in the back of the barrel.
I am also seriously considering modifying the extractor/ejector design as I am pretty sure that the design of the extractor/ejector was very much contributory to the chamber damage shown in the top picture in post #44. The original cut for the extractor/ejector is a straight down, square, plunge cut, which makes a 1/8" section of the chamber wall, just below the cartridge rim, paper thin, and I believe that is why the chamber wall failed at that point.. The extractor/ejector does fit the cut for it pretty tightly so there is decent support for the cartridge, but if the extractor/ejector cut in the back of the barrel was modified so that there was a 45 degree bevel at the extractor/ejector cut then that portion of the chamber wouldn't be paper thin and so susceptible to damage. Well at least that is what I am thinking.
I might just have to make a practice 3" "barrel" to test this idea of mine. I would rather ruin a short pretend barrel testing this idea out rather than messing up a good barrel. Its a very good thing that the extractor/ejector is such a simple and uncomplicated design!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:24 AM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't wait for the next installment, Good Luck!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 04:42 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well I just finished up...

Well I just finished up a bit of work of a Stevens Favorite and now I have the urge to get back to work on this rifle!!! We'll see how long this "urge" lasts. Think I will mosey on down to the basement and see if I can even find all of the parts to this rifle!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:46 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Amazingly I was able to find everything...

Amazingly I was able to find everything AND I got it all put back together!!! Something that I never noticed before is that there is no stamping on the barrel designating its caliber??? I found the picture folder that I have all of my Hopkins & Allen pictures in and I have a picture of someone else's 922, it has an octagonal barrel and it is marked "25 RF" on the top flat behind the rear sight and in front of the receiver. My round barrel has no marking in that location??? Now I have to do some thinking.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well I have kind of made up my mind...

Well I have kind of made up my mind about how I am going to proceed with this rifle. Well at least what I plan to do about the barrels. Back in post #26 I said I had turned down the back end of a good 22 caliber barrel to fit the 922's receiver, so that barrel will become the 22 caliber barrel for this rifle!!! The original barrel with no roll mark to designate its caliber will become the 17 Mach 2 barrel for this rifle. Since there is no roll mark I will not have to go through the extra trouble of altering or removing a roll mark and re-stamping a new roll mark. I will just have to stamp it 17 Mach 2 and I will be done with it. Well except for installing the liner and all that entails!!! Doubt if I will change what I just said about the barrels above but the extractor/ejector thing still concerns me as the original design at 9 o'clock was known for not being reliable in extracting and ejecting the spent casings. Well I guess I better get to work!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So, does this look possible???

So, does this look possible??? You can see on the left how the original extractor/ejector was designed. This design was noted for its failures to extract or eject, and I am wondering if it is possible to modify the extractor /ejector to fit like the yellow high lighted possible mod that I have dreamed up. Or more likely one that come up at a 45 degree angle instead of the 90 degree angle as I pictured it.

This means that I would have to weld up the slot currently in the barrel completely or partially depending on whether I do a 90 degree at 9 o'clock or a 45 degree at 7 o'clock.
Ideas, experiences and thoughts are most certainly welcome!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:15 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Quite a bit has happened since...

Quite a bit has happened since my last post. Turns out that I have a second H&A 922. The complete rifle needing a reline is the older model with the 9 o'clock extractor/ejector, which I will probably refer to as the early side ejector model, or the early model, just so I can keep them straight in my head!!! The other 922 is the later model with the 6 o'clock extractor/ejector so that one will be referenced and the late bottom ejector model, or the late model. The only problem with this 2nd 922 is that more than 50% of the original parts are missing. There are some poorly fitted new parts and some modified original type parts, but mostly missing parts. But I knew all this from the pictures when I bought that receiver cheap for parts. Lucky for me I have the most important parts, the breech block, the under lever, the hammer, and the hammer spring!!! Oh, no barrel or stocks either.

So this picture is of the first newly made part for the #2 H&A!!! The LEFT barrel retaining screw is the new part that I made and is the one that I will use. The center piece is the barrel retaining screw for the early model and the right piece is my first attempt at the barrel retaining screw. It worked fine and probably would have worked without a problem but it was looser in its threaded hole than I liked. Plus the second barrel retaining screw is more properly dimensioned and quite snug in the threads!!!
The piece at the top was going to be, and may still be a 5/16 x 28 tap since H&A chose to use an odd thread size for that screw. Kind of reminds me of Stevens Favorites and their odd thread sizes. Well odd relative to what is common today.

Regarding the early model 922 I have decided to pattern the extractor/ejector after the early Stevens Favorite which will allow me to use the original extractor/ejector but it will need to be modified. Essentially I will have to bend the upper portion to the right at about a 45 degree angle, so that it will enter the chamber at about the 7 o'clock position. This will allow me to eliminate what I consider to be the large section of the chamber wall that is cut thin for the original side extractor/ejector. The first 2 pictures in post #44 show clearly why I want to modify the extractor/ejector.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 PM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't recall seeing this thread until now. It looks like you have been going through quite a project so far!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:36 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Oh, its gotten better!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
I can't recall seeing this thread until now. It looks like you have been going through quite a project so far!
Oh, its gotten better!!! I started out with just the early model 922 (9 o'clock ejector) and now it has grown to include the late model 922 (6 o'clock ejector) that was actually a bunch of parts that happened to include a receiver. Now I have decided to rebuild the late model 922 as I think the 6 o'clock extractor/ejector will be a more reliable rifle, but only as it relates to extraction and ejection of a spent case. Nothing related to safety or strength of the action.
Did a good bit of work on the late model 922 this evening so I am thinking that since this is two separate rifles that I am working on I ought to start a 2nd thread for the late model 922 to keep it separate from the early model 922. I guess this is what happens when you like to tinker, and are pretty good at it; you like old half dead rifles; and you have a tendency to accumulate things!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:53 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Well I finally decided...

Well I finally decided to use the 9 o'clock extractor as originally designed. Did a bit of research over at ASSRA regarding the 922's 9 o'clock extractor and the consensus seemed to be that if that extractor was properly fitted it would work just fine. So I decided to forgo reinventing the wheel so to speak.
Did a bit of welding to the breech end of the original barrel to fill in what was left of the loading ramp, at least I guess that is what you would call it. It is the tapered groove immediately to the left of the huge divot caused by years of dry firing.

Right now the original barrel has a 17 caliber Redmond liner from Brownells setting up, so by this time tomorrow I will be working away on fitting that 9 o'clock extractor back to the barrel.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frank I found this post searching for posts on my model 16 crack-shot. I don't why this thread is in that search but I'm glad it brought me here to see it. Keep us posted, hunting season is only 9 months away. Neil
Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Well hello there, Neil!!!

Well hello there, Neil!!! My Stevens Favorites have been keeping me busy as well as a "full-time" part time job, but the job thing will be ending soon!!! However I have made some progress with this rifle. Got the extractor fitted and working, although it only extracts, you have to kind of pick the fired case out of the chamber mouth. On the bright side it does extract and eject an unfired round!!! Need to get some wood and start working on carving me a set of stocks for this rifle and some sort of one piece base that I can attach to the barrel so that I can mount a scope on this thing!!! Can't use open sight for beans so scoping it is the only real option for me if I actually want to shoot this rifle, and of course I do!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 03-27-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:24 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Waiting for parts...

Waiting for parts for other rifles so I decided it is time to get to work on carving out some stocks for this rifle, finally!!! The bottom piece is from a 1915 Favorite, and will be the pattern for this Hopkins & Allen.

I will have two screws on the fore stock just like the example shows. Managed to get the rough blank fitted to the barrel, but need to get an 8-32 bottoming tap since I am changing the thread pitch from its original 8-30.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:50 AM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile A bit more progress...

A bit more progress on this rifle today!!! Got the two holes for the fore stock done. One I just had to re tap to 8-32 and the other one had to be drilled and tapped. Messed up a bit as managed to strip out half of the threads in the original hole by not realizing that the starting tap had bottomed out, and I kept turning the tap handle. Lucky for me the hole was pretty shallow and all I had to do was deepen it and re tap it. The small insets in the top half of the picture show enlargements of each threaded hole and if you look close you can see the damage to the threads in the top half of the left hole. Oh well still more than strong enough to hold a fore stock in place, particularly since there are two screws holding that fore stock!!! And yes the threads are cut all the way to the bottom of both holes!!! It just doesn't look that way in both insets.

The bottom half of the picture is the fore stock attached to the barrel. I still need to decide what type of screw I am going to use to hold the fore stock to the barrel. I could use an 8-32 allen head screw but that wouldn't be period correct, but it would be quick!!! However for some reason I am thinking I want to use slotted screws on this rifle.
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 04-01-2018 at 12:53 AM.