Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:57 PM
dallee
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
New Kidd Supergrade, tough day at range

Well I got that new Kidd Supergrade to the range today.

I often don't shoot that great with a new rifle and it takes me some time to get it down.

The rifle as advertised did shoot 1/2" groups. In fact it shot 1/2" groups with anything I tried today however, I didn't shoot it consistently.

I put a Mueller scope on it and ran it at 32X. Not used to anything more than 14X and the crosshairs were so fine I had to wear my reading glasses when looking through it to see the crosshairs and target dot.

Shot off the cheap $30 Caldwell front rest and some rear sand bags the wife made me. I did notice that it was hard to keep the rifle perfectly still as the 32X scope showed me.

Disappointed in myself, not the rifle. Just thought the team (me and rifle) would be shooting better than what happened today.

Still waiting for an ammo order to get here with the Center X and X-Act in it, hoping the groups will tighten.

FIRST Group: NO wind, very still and 30 rounds down the pipe before I shot this target. Went from right to left and shot a whole column (all 4) with the same ammo. Shot 5 off target between each new ammo.

Kidd Supergrade 20 Inch Barrel 09-15-2019 1 of 3 by Dan, on Flickr

This second target was just a continuation of ammo testing and the federal auto match shot I thought fairly well.

Kidd Supergrade 20 Inch Barrel 09-15-2019 2 of 3 by Dan, on Flickr

The wind had really picked up and was variable. Blowing, going away, blowing again back and forth.

Finally the wind died and I shot the one 5 shot group that measured .130. So I quit. I try and always stop on a positive note.

Kidd Supergrade 20 Inch Barrel 09-15-2019 3 of 3 by Dan, on Flickr

Anyways, a little bummed. You dream of that new rifle coming in and how well you will shoot with it. Didn't work out for me. I thought my groups would look like everyone elses on here and what I hear about.

Again, I don't think its the rifle. I am pretty sure its all on me.

FEW QUESTIONS THOUGH:

1. The thing spits at me. I shoot a right handed gun, left handed and I am feeling powder spits of gunpowder on my face. Whats the deal with that and how can I stop it?

2. Can someone suggest a better, more stable range setup? Perhaps $200 or less. Should I got to a bipod and if so, which one.

3. Its probably me but I seem to have a 1st shot flyer when the barrel is cold (hasn't been shot for 20 or 30 minutes talking sometimes to others and quit shooting). Since its a new rifle with probably only 200 - 250 rounds through it now.

4. Any observations any of you guys can clue me in on that you might see from my shooting?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 PM
NVaVettes

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
" . . . 2. Can someone suggest a better, more stable range setup? Perhaps $200 or less. Should I got to a bipod and if so, which one. . . . "

I'm happy enough with a Caldwell Rock BR front rest.

Not super expensive with decent functionality, carry-able in a separate (tool-style) bag.

Or maybe a BULLS BAG for something less mechanical.

Good luck --- sometimes a new gun can be challenging!

Don

Last edited by NVaVettes; 09-15-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:24 PM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVaVettes View Post
" . . . 2. Can someone suggest a better, more stable range setup? Perhaps $200 or less. Should I got to a bipod and if so, which one. . . . "

I'm happy enough with a Caldwell Rock BR front rest.

Not super expensive with decent functionality, carry-able in a separate (tool-style) bag.

Or maybe a BULLS BAG for something less mechanical.

Good luck --- sometimes a new gun can be challenging!

Don
Thank you Don. I went and watched a couple videos on it. I have the Caldwell Jr. which is the lowest level Caldwell rest. The one you suggest seems much better. Thanks for the heads up on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 AM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
It's a right-side ejection autoloader, not much you can do about what comes out the port.
Your groups are about what I would expect with that ammo. It will be better with the Center-X.
Kidd uses a pinned firing pin, which generally takes care of flyers. I would shoot it more and then clean it good. It's possible the bolt isn't going fully home, which can result in a headspace/ignition issue. I assume you are letting it go forward with the full strength of the spring. And, the spring should be correct for that ammo.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:30 AM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Thanks for those observations. That does bring up, I did receive a couple of springs with the rifle. One installed and two additional ones. I wondered what those were for. So do those match different ammo?
Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (231)
A couple observations:

1) I'm not sure what your budget is, and maybe most of it went to the KIDD Suoergrade, but IMO that rifle deserves a better scope than the Mueller. While I've found the lower power APVs -- the 4.5-14X and the 6-18X -- to be quite good optically, I've found the higher power Mueller's to come up short.

2) Again, scope-related, I'm not sure what kind of consistent sight picture you're getting using reading glasses. You should be able to adjust the ocular focus to sharpen up the view of your reticle while using regular shooting glasses, with correction or not. If you're trying to get an in-focus view of the target using the AO adjustment while wearing reading glasses, no telling what your distance setting might be with a resulting parallax error.

So, if you're looking to get better groups, my recommendation would be to keep that rest, but get a better scope. A scope of 18X or 20X with good optics is more than adequate for shooting at 50 yards as you will be able to get a sharp sight picture for fine aiming and clearly see the bullet holes whilst shooting. And that Center-X and X-act should certainly help too!

Just my 2. Hope you get it sorted out.

Doug
Old 09-16-2019, 02:19 PM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
A couple observations:

1) I'm not sure what your budget is, and maybe most of it went to the KIDD Suoergrade, but IMO that rifle deserves a better scope than the Mueller. While I've found the lower power APVs -- the 4.5-14X and the 6-18X -- to be quite good optically, I've found the higher power Mueller's to come up short.

2) Again, scope-related, I'm not sure what kind of consistent sight picture you're getting using reading glasses. You should be able to adjust the ocular focus to sharpen up the view of your reticle while using regular shooting glasses, with correction or not. If you're trying to get an in-focus view of the target using the AO adjustment while wearing reading glasses, no telling what your distance setting might be with a resulting parallax error.

So, if you're looking to get better groups, my recommendation would be to keep that rest, but get a better scope. A scope of 18X or 20X with good optics is more than adequate for shooting at 50 yards as you will be able to get a sharp sight picture for fine aiming and clearly see the bullet holes whilst shooting. And that Center-X and X-act should certainly help too!

Just my 2. Hope you get it sorted out.

Doug
Thank you sir for that info.

Would you or any others out there have any recommendations to look into for a scope?
Old 09-16-2019, 04:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I agree with dbr65 that you should try using a lower power setting on your scope and try to turn your ocular focus to a point where you can see the cross hairs and the dot. that should give you less "wobble" and a better view. Those are some fine cross hairs as I have them on one of my Muller scopes.

Many times when a shooter is trying to really hold a sight picture at high magnification they will "muscle" the gun to try and control that high power "wiggle" which actually only makes it worse. Dont do that... I would also ask what your trigger pull is set at. I shoot a rather light trigger. Sometimes a lighter pull may help. I further suspect the ammo you are waiting on may also help. Remember only adjust one thing at a time.

I would add, I have been pleased with the Mullers I have. No, they are not like other scopes I have such as Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex and Zeiss but they have done good work for me and I have old eyes and currently some eye problems. I do not necessarily think you need a new scope. Try the focus and lower power like 14-16 and see what happens.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by huntschool; 09-16-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:23 PM
elh0102

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallee View Post
Thanks for those observations. That does bring up, I did receive a couple of springs with the rifle. One installed and two additional ones. I wondered what those were for. So do those match different ammo?
If you read your manual, it will describe the three springs. It probably came with the spring for target/SV ammo, which would be correct for your ammo. If you don't have that information, it's on the web site. The springs are color coded at the base (not ral obvious until you look).

As for the scope, more power does not mean more wobble, it just means you see it more, which is not a bad thing. One of the best training routines for position shooting is to practice with a high power scope. Folks who think they are holding without movement find out otherwise.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Get a few hundred more rounds down the tube before you do anymore serious group testing. My Kidd Supergrade's had the occasional excellent group in the first 500 rounds. But it really settled down and started to shine at around 750 - 1000 rounds.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:15 PM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Thanks everyone, you have all been very helpful and with good information.

I do appreciate it all.

I am going to give some of this stuff a go.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:06 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got 5 Kidd barrels. All have shot great from day one. All shoot SK Pistol Match very well.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 PM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKE1022 View Post
I got 5 Kidd barrels. All have shot great from day one. All shoot SK Pistol Match very well.
Good to know. Have a brick of that coming in as well to try. Mainly bought it for my CZ but will for sure give it a try in the Kidd.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 PM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
I forgot to add earlier I am running a single stage trigger at 1.5#'s. That is heavy for me. I got it to switch out with another Kidd trigger I have in my X Ring which is a two-stage set at 8oz. and much more to my liking. I am switching it out tonight.

Since I will have this thing out of the stock, should I go ahead and clean the chamber or leave things alone. I have a chamber nylon brush.

This was my grail gun purchase and it has gotten to 1/2" @ 50 on all four types of ammo I tried so its within the specs Kidd promises. Just hoping for better and think I will get there.

Again gentlemen, I sure do appreciate all the help!
Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 PM
ILIKE1022

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What Kidd barrels are capable of on good calm days with a tuner. This was 2nd Kidd barrel build. 1st one did a hair better for it's best.