Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2020, 03:05 PM
steyrsteyrsteyr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Secret Society?

Why does it feel like smallbore silhouette is some kind of secret society?

You shoot at a club and you notice vests, eye shades, special markers...

You get home, you google these items, you get some random club in TX or whatever club that has jack info on what you're actually trying to find info on...

Why is it when you try to do research, especially on silhouette it feels like everything is top secret and it's like you either know and made your way inside of the inner circle or you don't and you aren't a friend of "ours." Is silhouette...Mafia?

Does everyone meet and greet everyone at Nationals? I just find it so weird and yet silhouette has become a major obsession of mine and I'm addicted from month to month.

I've been to 4 matches and now I have a fever and the only prescription is more silhouette!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:07 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Wait..... do you know the secret handshake?

Our local group is small. So small that six shooters is a good turnout. Web site? Internet? Nah... we just call each other.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:11 PM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't think it's only silhouette shooters,,,

I think it's every dang shooting event in the world.

All I wanted to know was what is the course of fire for an Appleseed shoot.

Just tell me how many rounds at what target in how much time for each stage,,,
If it's stated there on their website I sure couldn't find it.

Same for Rimfire Steel Challenge,,,
Vague info is all I could find.

Same for NRL .22 shoot.

I finally gleaned the info from several different sources,,,
But why they won't state it clearly and concisely I'll never understand.

Aarond

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 04:21 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Publicity ?

IME silhouette has always pretty much been a word of mouth thing, like a "speak easy" it helps if you know people. The more matches the more good people you meet
Old 09-15-2020, 04:33 PM
steyrsteyrsteyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL SHOOTER View Post
IME silhouette has always pretty much been a word of mouth thing, like a "speak easy" it helps if you know people. The more matches the more good people you meet
I must say, where I shoot you meet the most easy going and soft spoken people i've ever met...it feels like a mini paradise.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:39 PM
steyrsteyrsteyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
I think it's every dang shooting event in the world.

All I wanted to know was what is the course of fire for an Appleseed shoot.

Just tell me how many rounds at what target in how much time for each stage,,,
If it's stated there on their website I sure couldn't find it.

Same for Rimfire Steel Challenge,,,
Vague info is all I could find.

Same for NRL .22 shoot.

I finally gleaned the info from several different sources,,,
But why they won't state it clearly and concisely I'll never understand.

Aarond

You and me brother... I feel like if you and I went in to a comp we would be ok, if you went with someone that read this you guys would be ok..

but going in to this blind is scary...e-mailing this question and getting no response is even more off putting, it's really horrible to some people.

I really don't know if it's more of an age thing where young people are replacing the old and technology, but getting the word out about silhouette is horrible, but making someone smile shooting a .22lr instead of wearing nods and a 5.56
Old 09-15-2020, 06:07 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Silhouette in all its forms suffers from being HARD.

If it was easy, they'd call it GOLF.

Used to be long ago that real marksmanship was a valued skill and most shooters struggled to attain it.

Now, all people want to do is sit on their butts at a bench and'/or spray the berm with their AR/AK/ 10-22 as fast as they can pull the trigger without a thought of actually hitting a target.

Also, it doesn't seem to me that people are as competitive as they used to be. As soon as you say "competition", most run for the door.

And, being all offhand, 98% of shooters dont want anything to do with it as they cant hit anything offhand and dont want to show it to the world.

You might want to subscribe to the NRA magazine "Shooting Sports" which I believe is also online. Good articles and lists of NRA shoots all around the country are featured.

Last edited by jnyork; 09-16-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:10 PM
wolfshoon
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Silhouette in all its forms suffers from being HARD.

If it was easy, they'd call it GOLF

Used to be long ago that real marksmanship was a valued skill and most shooters struggled to attain it.

Now, all people want to do is sit on their butts at a bench and'/or spray the berm with their AR/AK/ 10-22 as fast as they can pull the trigger without a thought of actually hitting a target.

Also, it doesn't seem to me that people are as competitive as they used to be. As soon as you say "competition", most run for the door.

And, being all offhand, 98% of shooters dont want anything to do with it as they cant hit anything offhand and dont want to show it to the world.

Pretty accurate assessment. The %%%%%ing that goes on during a tac match with a offhand stage is monumental. I typically gain a lot of points during those stages with the experience that comes from silhouette.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:48 AM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey, OP, where are you at in VA!?? , anywhere near Roanoke?

My SECRET STEEL CLUB is in my back yard,,

My neighbor used to come over and we would shoot,, but, he died,,,

We would pistol shoot steel, we got tired of rimfire, and switched to 44 MAG revolver,,

Heck, we shot so much, the local deputies refused to come over they would get embarrassed,,
We was just two old guys out shooting,, and we did not have to take time out of our day to write tickets,, and press uniforms,,

That did not matter, the deputies did not like getting out gunned,,
Old 09-16-2020, 07:34 AM
steyrsteyrsteyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post

You might want to subscribe to the NRA magazine "Shooting Sports" which I believe is also online. Good articles and lists of NRA shoots all around the country are featured.
Thanks I will look in to that!
Old 09-16-2020, 07:35 AM
steyrsteyrsteyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmk View Post
Hey, OP, where are you at in VA!?? , anywhere near Roanoke?

My SECRET STEEL CLUB is in my back yard,,

My neighbor used to come over and we would shoot,, but, he died,,,

We would pistol shoot steel, we got tired of rimfire, and switched to 44 MAG revolver,,

Heck, we shot so much, the local deputies refused to come over they would get embarrassed,,
We was just two old guys out shooting,, and we did not have to take time out of our day to write tickets,, and press uniforms,,

That did not matter, the deputies did not like getting out gunned,,
That sounds awesome! I'm all the way up in Northern VA, there is an amazing club that hosts matches here once a month.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was shooting silhouette back in the late 80s. That time period was basically the last of the sport's golden age. I remember in the early 90s how the shooting spots turned away from the the traditional target sports like bullseye and the hunting oriented shooting sports like silhouette and moved to the self-defense and action shooting sports. That really put the hurt on the popularity of silhouette.

Keep in mind that a shooting club can make a lot of money setting up an action shooting match with very little outlay in terms of space and staff. A Silhouette match, though, especially a big bore match, but even a rimfire match, requires much more space and is more labor intensive with staff needed to reset silhouettes, not to nation the cost of supplying the silhouettes and maintaining them. I can attend any number of action shooting matches a short drive from home, but finding a range that still offers a silhouette match is a different story.

And, yeah, darn right silhouette is tough, but that's one of the reasons I miss it.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:16 AM
steyrsteyrsteyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
I was shooting silhouette back in the late 80s. That time period was basically the last of the sport's golden age. I remember in the early 90s how the shooting spots turned away from the the traditional target sports like bullseye and the hunting oriented shooting sports like silhouette and moved to the self-defense and action shooting sports. That really put the hurt on the popularity of silhouette.

Keep in mind that a shooting club can make a lot of money setting up an action shooting match with very little outlay in terms of space and staff. A Silhouette match, though, especially a big bore match, but even a rimfire match, requires much more space and is more labor intensive with staff needed to reset silhouettes, not to nation the cost of supplying the silhouettes and maintaining them. I can attend any number of action shooting matches a short drive from home, but finding a range that still offers a silhouette match is a different story.

And, yeah, darn right silhouette is tough, but that's one of the reasons I miss it.
Yea, I consider myself lucky to be able to shoot at such a beautiful range! Back wall is 200m high power.
https://imgur.com/8u8lzsU
Old 09-16-2020, 03:14 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up Very Nice

That is a good looking range.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:42 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
When I became interested in silhouette I spent a lot of time on steelchickens.com. Looks like their website is down for maintenance at the moment but it's good resource! There's other informative websites too

My problem now is after moving to TX 5 years ago I learned that smallbore silhouette had pretty much died out in the DFW area. So I haven't shot a match since moving away from the Chicago area. There's a few cowboy matches around where I'm at now but still haven't made it to one of those