Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:55 PM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quick Question

I have put my 3rd coat of Tru-Oil on my stock over a coat or 2 of ''Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Sealer and Filler.'' I had lightly steel-wooled After every Tru-Oil coat. My last coat was perfect, and it is at the color & smoothness I am happy with.

I read where some put 10,15,20 coats on, and am wondering if all these coats are 1) necessary or 2) needed for extra protection?

Am I ok with 3 coats? In a week, I may add a coat of ''Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner" followed by "B.C. Gunstock Wax.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
I put on enough to fill the grain pours over a season or two, my most favorite time for that kind of work is winter; make the last coat perfect and call it good unless dings come along.

Iv'e use BLO on a lot of my stocks and if I find time which I generally do in the winter, I rub them down with a coat or two; after ~10-15 coats, buffed down & waxed , they really shine.

pipestone
Old 09-15-2020, 10:58 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (132)
I usually go with at least three coats, and avoid real steel wool. I use equivalent grade Scotchbrite, it can't shed steel into the finish like the wool can. There have been many accounts of rusting under the finish. Not saying it will happen to you, but...
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 02:23 AM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I keep forgetting about "Scotchbrite." I steel-wooled lightly then tack-clothed rather aggressively. That was good advice though, that I will follow.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:29 AM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
I usually go with at least three coats, and avoid real steel wool. I use equivalent grade Scotchbrite, it can't shed steel into the finish like the wool can. There have been many accounts of rusting under the finish. Not saying it will happen to you, but...
Yes, I did the grain-fill pretty well. I think I'll let it rest a weak & then use the sheen & conditioner, although I haven't decided on gloss or not. We'll see.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:31 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
With other types of finish I have found that if the wood has never been finished before (e.g. starting from raw lumber not previously finished stock) even 3 coats over time seem to soak into the wood and leave it looking less finished than you thought.
I made a walnut night stand once and put three coats of varnish (a surface finish, i.e. not one that penetrates into the wood as much as oil) on it and after a few years it looked like it did after only the first coat, the finish got sucked in that much. I would image with an oil finish it would happen even more so.
I also recommend avoiding steel wool between coats. No point in going through all the trouble just to have rust stains after a few years showing up in your 'finished' project, especially when it can be avoided so easily.

JMO YMMV.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toppkatt View Post
I also recommend avoiding steel wool between coats. No point in going through all the trouble just to have rust stains after a few years showing up in your 'finished' project, especially when it can be avoided so easily.
JMO YMMV.
Finally someone pointed that out.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:32 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (132)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecci View Post
Yes, I did the grain-fill pretty well. I think I'll let it rest a weak & then use the sheen & conditioner, although I haven't decided on gloss or not. We'll see.
Even though it's not listed, the Sheen and Conditioner contains silicone, according to our late resident finishes expert, George (noremf), rest his soul.
Not the best thing for for finishes.
If I want a satiny look, I found a light going over with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will soften it to a nice glow.
Here's a pic of a lam stock I did this to:

Follow it up with a couple coats of a nice no silicone wax like Renaissance.