Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Ammo is available again or ~$6 per box, so only about $1 more than something like 22lr stingers, and there is no comparison between the two for hunting.

17HM2 is king for pest control when you're keeping shots under 150 yds and the round count is high. Barrels heat up much slower than with the HMR for heavy duty varmint control.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Airtool
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerman View Post
... While ruger has a better bluing instead of a matte finish.

Good grief... Read that and I thought almost out loud: "...what's he talkin' about? Ruger has a matte finish! Right?"

So I pulled it out of the safe; Absolutely right - that is kinda nice bluing!

Clearly, I can't help OP rationalize an HM2, and he probably doesn't need one. I have one - I don't even know what it is, so I don't need one, either! I apparently justified it just 'cause I wanted it (and I probably wasn't even aware that it had nice bluing...)

out.
'tool
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkade View Post
Don't do it ..

Savage accuracy for 400 Alex....This Is Jeopardy
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post

Savage accuracy for 400 Alex....This Is Jeopardy
What is not as good as you're led to believe, Alex.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
Ammo is available again or ~$6 per box, so only about $1 more than something like 22lr stingers, and there is no comparison between the two for hunting.

17HM2 is king for pest control when you're keeping shots under 150 yds and the round count is high. Barrels heat up much slower than with the HMR for heavy duty varmint control.
I think you make a good point about high volume shooting with the HM2 over the HMR but neither is a 223 where 3 or 4 shots makes a barrel too hot to touch. I haven't seen any local dealers with HM2 ammo anywhere close to $6 a box recently in Central California. Where are you finding it? I tried to order some all copper rounds and the shop wanted $13 a box. Pass!!! Tried to order some after midnight of freedom day and it was already too late.....
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
It doesn't seem like you need one since both your Hmr are shooting well. I'd still get one just because.
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Online has it from $5-7 pretty consistently, sometimes closer to one end of that range than the other. https://ammoseek.com/ammo/17hm2

I stacked at about $7/box before the BS ammo law came into effect, but for people in the 49 other states, online is the way to go. You can always go to Reno to beat the summer CA heat.

Last edited by colonelhogan44; Yesterday at 02:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
It doesn’t seem the OP really wants to be talked into a 17m2 that much. He’s doing what I often do: infuse practicality into a rimfire junkie’s thinking, in his case, someone who has 11 rimfires (I have at least twice that many) The mere fact you don’t have a .17m2 is justification enough...or it should be for a true junkie, especially when it’s only a barrel away. I would understand more if he were contemplating a 1702, or some other large purchase.

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; Yesterday at 03:10 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
colonelhogan44
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
I think you make a good point about high volume shooting with the HM2 over the HMR but neither is a 223 where 3 or 4 shots makes a barrel too hot to touch.
I can easily get a pencil barreled CZ 452 hot enough to open the groups up significantly, though.
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Meat damage on small game at normal hunting yardage is much less than the hmr. I love me an hmr but it flat out tears stuff up unless you scoot back to shoot em. Took a grouse on the move with one this year, not enough time for a noodle shoot. Pile of feathers told me it was a poor choice, 17 hm2 doesn't do that. But it does harvest cleaner than any and all 22lr ammo I've got. Not that 22lr can't do a clean harvest, but the 17 mach 2 has a bit longer latitude of efficacy.

In the fall and early winter I small game hunt like it's a full time job, 17 mach 2 rules the roost of my rifle collection. With that said it makes range appearances only when I'm rusty, the hmr and 22lr get all the range play time.

As to ammo, my last few bricks came from lax ammo.... for about 5 a box but that was free "time of the big stupid ". So ordering it from Cali was possible, just not for locals apparently.

Keep in mind you have hornady and 2 flavors of cci, of the current crop both of mine prefer the hornady, and one actually seems to hate the cci. So ammo selection can be a bummer, one of my 17 hmrs printed rather poor (for its price tag) groups. Swapped to 20 grain ammo and shot the best groups of my life with it. Had it been a 17hm2 you'd be outta luck.

All this circles back to defining your uses, if that use is shooting paper with little dots.... pass
Old Today, 12:31 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have read the m2 is inherently more accurate than the hmr. The experts say that when comparing the .308 & 30-06. The shorter case allows for more efficient and complete powder burn. Makes logical sense to me. Anyway, I prefer the m2 because it is like a Porsche and the HMR a Chevette at the range. Lots have the hmr, few have a mach2. Cool factor & it allows you possible conversation fodder with other shooters. Why I like shooting the Bee & Fireball instead of the hornet too.