Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:03 AM
red caddy
US Navy Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bolt stop?

I want to lock the breach / bolt on a Standard / MK-I, Essentially, making it a manual load, single shot pistol.

How is this best done and has anybody here done it that can take me to school?

Thanks, Paul

Last edited by red caddy; 05-22-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 AM
Theo98
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by red caddy View Post
I want to lock the breach / bolt on a Standard / MK-I, Essentially, making it a manual load, single shot pistol.

How is this best done and has anybody here done it that can take me to school?

Thanks, Paul
Paul,

If I correctly understand your question, the Ruger "Standards and MkIs" have a dual-purpose single button that acts as the Safety-On And Bolt-Lock-Open feature! Simply pull and hold the bolt back, then slide the button up to lock the Bolt Open, allowing you to manually load the chamber with a single round!

Ted
Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 AM
243winxb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To keep the action from opening on firing, get a heavy spring. https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Volq...RS-p/vc3rs.htm

You will have to find and supply the spring. Trial and error. my guess.

OR drill a hole & run a pin thru the action & bolt. The bolt metal is super hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200522_130513.jpg (194.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by 243winxb; 05-22-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 12:21 PM
red caddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Theo, what I'm trying to do is lock the breach, Fire, unlock and then manually cycle the action. I want this to be accessible when firing suppressed (eliminate chamber pop with heavy bullets and /or high velocity ammo.)) when not suppressed, I want normal semi auto fire.

I'm considering building some kind of thumb operated toggle lock to hold the slide locked when fired. Thumb off, manually cycle the bolt, re engage the lock and fire, type of drill.

243winxb,
What you suggest will and has worked well for me, but is very ammo sensitive. I need more versatility. What I want to do now would be a 2nd generation design. (for me)

I'm pretty sure this dragon has been slayed, just not by me.

I've read here, and other places, that it is possible to hold the bolt closed with the thumb of the offhand, I'm not sure I want to try that yet, Anybody?

Paul

Last edited by red caddy; 05-22-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red caddy
I've read here, and other places, that it is possible to hold the bolt closed with the thumb of the offhand, I'm not sure I want to try that yet, Anybody?

Paul
It's a .22, not a .300 Weatherby. Holding the bolt closed with your thumb is no big deal.

That said, I recall someone posting a few years ago about a company that would install a bolt lock. They modified the bolt to have some "pinchers" at the back that would grab hold of the bolt stop pin when locked. The lock was activated/deactivated by a turn knob installed on the back of the bolt. It was a fairly expensive mod IIRC. Expensive enough that I would just hold the bolt closed with my thumb instead.

It was pretty cool though. You might be able to track down that thread with a search. It was probably in the MKII forum, but I'm not positive about that.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
red caddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Test engineer, I, like you, I suspect, am an ME, so reinventing the wheel is second nature to me. (identify a small problem, then over think it into uselessness)

What I'm after is an elegant solution to a simple problem. (complicated mo bettah ?)

Help me?

Paul

Last edited by red caddy; Yesterday at 07:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There's got to be a million possible ways to achieve the goal. The more Rube Goldberg you get, the more entertaining it can be.

The approach I would take for a Standard/MKI is stupidly simple. I would just cut the sear hook off the safety. Two reasons:

1) These pistols already lock the bolt closed when the safety is on.
2) I shoot my pistols until they're empty, so the safety is a useless feature that (almost) never gets used.

Disclaimer - I am NOT recommending you disable a factory safety feature. What can be done and what should be done are not always the same. DSAYOR.

Edit- On second thought, I'd leave the safety alone and remove the portion of sear that the safety hook grabs ahold of. I'm already comfortable with splitting my sears, and replacement sears are easier to come by. Just goes to show you - there's always more than one way to attack a problem.

Last edited by Test_Engineer; Yesterday at 09:18 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The older I get the more cautious I become with modifying my guns. I mean, what happens if I don't wake up tomorrow morning? Who is going to wind up with my guns and what issues could my modifications create for them.

In my younger days I even made my own release trigger for my Trap shooting shotgun, not anymore.
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
red caddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the more reason for whatever I fabricate to be simple, elegant and self explanatory.

Paul