Old 9.5" original Single Six questions - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Chubbs103

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I like the character but would understand a re-finish. I would NOT convert. Ruger no longer returns the original parts and you will lose quality to the trigger. You will also lose re-sale value as people that are looking for Old Model Blackhawks are looking for Old Model Blackhawks.

I can understand the safety aspect. If you are dedicated to an empty chamber under the hammer (and you need to be) then it isn't an issue. If you want the transfer bar, I bet you could sell this or trade your way into a New Model without a loss.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Danjet500

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I don't understand why the myth of Ruger not returning your original parts continues to be spread. They will and do return them. If you are that paranoid just remove them before you send it in. They state in the safety announcement that they will return the parts.

https://ruger.com/safety/announcements.html
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjet500 View Post
I don't understand why the myth of Ruger not returning your original parts continues to be spread. They will and do return them. If you are that paranoid just remove them before you send it in. They state in the safety announcement that they will return the parts.

https://ruger.com/safety/announcements.html
And, if the transfer bar parts can be removed and the pistol be put back into its "original" form. I'd do it because I use my Single Six in the field hunting.

It has six cylinders and I load six in my New Model with the transfer bar. Many times I'm cocking the hammer to get ready for a shot that doesn't present itself. So, I decock and slip it back in my holster and move on.

Decocking, I have to be sure that once the sear is released by pulling the trigger with thumb on the hammer, to take my finger off the trigger (this drops the transfer bar so it can't go bang) and lower the hammer. As with any decocking of a firearm keeping it pointed in a safe direction is a must. If you don't release the trigger before lowering the hammer the transfer bar stays up and if your thumb slips off the hammer it will go bang. Once decocked, I slip it back in my holster. Now it has also rotated the cylinder. If it were a unconverted the hammer would now be over a live round. So to carry on an empty chamber you'd have to be sure to rotate the cylinder back to the empty chamber to carry in a safer condition.

One other thing, out in Penns Woods and farms I'm climbing all around. If I don't remember to secure the leather retaining strap there have been several times my pistol has fallen out off its holster. Knowing it can't go bang, is very reassuring.

If you're a target exclusive shooter or a collecting, meh, I wouldn't send it in. But, for use in the field, if it were mine, I'd convert it and enjoy it.