Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New T bolt 22 mag t the range

Hey guys I took my new T bolt 22mag to the range this morning, 47 deg pouring rain, windy..Had Browning 40gr HP, Win super X 40gr HP, Federal 50 gr HP, S&B 45 gr IDK thought it was a 45gr SP but looks like FMJ to me. CCI Maxi Mag 40gr HP

FTF's browning amo 6 out of 10 would not go off.
Win ammo about the same.
Federal 3 out of ten FTF
CCI Maxi mag like 3 out of 20 FTF
S&B No FTF's-20 rounds
DO you think I have a rifle problem ? is there a know problem ? Are there any T bolt guru's like I could strip the bolt down for inspection ? I had it lubed good ?
Just bad ammo ? I have never had that many FTF's in anything.
It shot the CCI's and the S&B's around 3/4" five shots at fifty yards and I had like four cutting and one off or three cutting and two off. Light rifle, low power scope, heavy trigger, bad conditions and I was frustrated with the FTF's and not shooting well and I always struggle with a 9 power scope at 50 yards group shooting just hard for me. So I was happy with how it shot. Squirrel head at 50 for sure I think 75 also. 100 haven't been there yet but I am not going to be able to shoot good group with 9 power at 100.

Last edited by Frankr; 12-15-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:24 PM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well with all the FTF's with different ammo. It is a Rifle problem. I called Browning and they E-Mailed me a prepaid shipping label and it is boxed up and heading out tomorrow. Not really mad or Pissed off. Just a little Bummed as it was a Christmas Present. I been Playing Elvis, Blue Christmas with out you. lol...

The range report. T Bolt Maple sporter 22 Mag.. It tipped the digital shipping scale at 5lbs 11oz scoped..3-9 leupold VX Freedom. So low on scope power and my eyes struggle with that. Shot it some Saturday in bad condition. Cleaned the barrel and headed out Sunday. One wind flag at 24 Yards. All shots at 50 yards. I started with the CCI Maxi Mag 40 HP just wanted to see how it printed on a clean barrel and worked from left to right on the target. It is not a BR rifle, very light. 3.5lb trigger and with all the FTF's it was frustrating and I admit I maybe was not shooting my best and the second target the one out I feel I lost that shot. But I thought it shot well and with a ignition issue ? I just dont know but I was happy with how it shot. Naturally I would like it to shoot better.

Last edited by Frankr; 12-18-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:31 AM
MZ5
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Are there any T bolt guru's like I could strip the bolt down for inspection ? I had it lubed good ?
Based on my translation and interpretation of the above, I suspect the issue was too much lube inside the bolt. That plus cold weather slowed the striker down enough to cause unreliable ignition. Browning will clean it for you and send it back working properly, I'm sure.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Frankr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for your response MZ5. Yea I don't think some grease on the cross bolt and some good clean gun oil on the bolt is the problem or the weather. There is something wrong with the firing pin I think. Someone said it could be a headspace problem and sure hope not because I thought it shot well. Browning got it today and I know with the holidays it could be till after the first of the year before I see it back.
Well because I dont normally look at rimfire rim hits I just eject them. lol..I looked at some of my other rifles cases and these cases again and I dont think it was hitting them hard enough and I dont think it was a good profile hit. But Browning said I would get I back and would not have to worry about having this kind of problem. Good thing is it's not the ammo because I have like 200 rounds of the Browning Win Ammo.And with me buying and trying Ammo I got like 800 rounds sitting hear, good to know I am going to be able to use it.

Last edited by Frankr; 12-21-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:20 AM
MZ5
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There _could_ be a bit of debris on the firing pin or in its way in the bolt. Iíve had that happen to me exactly once, where a small piece of a ruptured primer cup (from the factory test firing) was swaged onto the firing pin, causing extra drag on the pin as it tried to move forward to strike the primer. In that case, there was no visual indication on impacted primers of a fault, they just wouldnít ignite. Disassembly and careful inspection of the bolt and striker/firing pin assembly revealed the issue, and a steel mechanicís pic removed the foreign metal. Every other time Iíve had this issue, though, it has been excess lube in the bolt, perhaps combined with cool to cold weather.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:08 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My 22 Mag had ftf with 30gr ammo... once I moved up to 33gr 40 he and 50gr all ftf went away... I no longer shot 30gr vmax ammo in my 22WMR