Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2003, 12:33 PM
RJM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What ammo for small game....

Anyone have a favorite ammo for hunting eatable small game...like squirrels, rabbits, etc. that won't make a major mess if the wrong spot is hit. The rounds most accurate in my rifles are the CCI TNT and WW Supreme but at 2200 fps and a big HP I was thinking maybe one of the heavies like the Federal Classic 50 grain or the new CCI Gold Dot HP might leave a little more to eat.

Thanks....Bob
Old 03-02-2003, 06:03 PM
ski

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RJM,

I'm only a "paper puncher", but, IIRC from reading what "hunters" have written..... a "Full Metal Jacket" might be what you're looking for.

Winchester & Federal has a 40gr.. Both @1910fps.

Or maybe a "soft point" Armscor or PMC.

We're (us Maggits) are looking at that new Winchester 45gr "Dyna-Point", it's real slow, only 1550fps (MV). Don't know if any of us has found any to shoot, yet.

Maybe, a real hunter will drop by, later.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:55 AM
danurve

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Arrow

Hey RJM; for gbt / cottentail the 40 gr. solids would be a good bet. Although the Supremes (34 gr. hp) have also proven to be fairly universal. To give you an example here's two shots of squirrel hunts, first up with Winchester 40 fmj
http://www.rimfire.cc/images/octgbt2.jpg
second pic with Winchester 40 jhp's
http://www.rimfire.cc/images/septgbt.jpg

Ski; I've never shot the Armscor or PMC, nowhere to be found here. But I did have lots of luck with the Remington psp's. Great squirrel round, just hard to find off the shelf. So I wound up sighting back in with Winchester. Let me ask you, what is Winchester thinking with the dyna-point? Do we realy need a plinking round? Give me a break, 22wmr is not expensive, well maybe for you guys that shoot the ossi / v-max it is. I was hopeing they would have developed a psp or a nice 25/30 gr. 2200+ fps of their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Adam 10/22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
cci fmj or win. superx fmj