Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

RFC Fun Shoot NEW Rules/Classes

21K views 98 replies 33 participants last post by  Shorty123 
#1 · (Edited)
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.
Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.
Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

See less See more
#46 ·
Scoreing guidelines

I read through the rules but did not see anything about how to score the targets. Could somebody enlighten me please. I shot junes target for class 3 today and on one of the fish targets I hit one of the fins but not the main body of the fish. Is that considered a hit or a miss. I could post a pic of the target and let you guys see what you think. thanks Slim

#47 ·
I read through the rules but did not see anything about how to score the targets. Could somebody enlighten me please. I shot junes target for class 3 today and on one of the fish targets I hit one of the fins but not the main body of the fish. Is that considered a hit or a miss. I could post a pic of the target and let you guys see what you think. thanks Slim
The Fish in the Barrel are scored best edge Slim which means the bullet just has to touch them. I think the fins count. The fish in the air have to have the Bullet within the body per the rules of engagement.

Hope this helps. Bill should be around to help.

#48 ·
yep, it is right in the rules page.

"On each of the fish (5 of them) that are in the water, shoot one shot to score 20 points each, score best edge. The fish out of the water needs TWO shots within the border lines (fins included) of the fish for a 50 point score for both shots. If either shot is cutting through the border line of the fish, then the shots score only 25 points for the two shots.
BONUS SHOT. In the barrel side there is a small PLUG . Shoot one shot at the center circle for a 50 point bonus totally within the center circle. If the shot is partly out of the center circle and yet still within the outer circle, then a 25 point Bonus added. If the bonus shot is any amount cutting out of the outer circle, then no bonus is added.
Max number of shots 8, max score with bonus 200
Penalty for extra shots 20 points ea. "

I print them out with the targets for reference.

#53 ·
DustyJacket,
Savage has made it really difficult to class some of their rifles by mixing target and sporting features into the various model designations. In the past, the MKll series has been used in C-2 and C-3 class in the Fun Shoot . I don`t complain either way. I looked at your model on the Savage website and really don`t see that it is a full C-3 rifle with the semisporter stock and other features.
Shoot in whichever class you feel comfortable with.

The Fun Shoot starts on the first of each month with a new set of targets and ROE. It runs through the entire month. Shoot any of them or all of them and post your target photos to the forum page with the results shown for each target.
Thanks for looking into the Fun Shoot and we look to see some scores from your range.
SmallCal =Bill

#52 ·
The 10 is for the year Dusty. You can shoot right up until the end of the Month. The whole month of July.
I cant help with Your Rifle question. I dont know what the letters mean. But I surely dont think the Savage is a Class 3.

Bill will have to help you on that.

#54 · (Edited)
One last question. My daughter is a rank beginner. She has shot firearms on two occasions, but she does OK.

Using my scoped Savage FVT (C-2 or C-3).

C-1 is for beginners, but not for target rifles.

So, does she (novice) shoot C-1 or C-2 ?

I figure I'll shoot C-3 scoped and she'll shoot C-2 or C-1 scoped, next weekend.

#55 · (Edited)
DustyJacket.
The rifle determines the class in the Fun Shoot. Age isn`t a factor but we welcome them all to shoot with anything they have at hand to shoot and whichever targets they wish to use. All we ask is to make the designation on the posting that it was shot by a beginner and include the age bracket in that posting.
We will make a point of including them on the monthly score sheet.
We did at one time have a rank beginner class but there wasn`t enough interest to keep it going, therefore we include them here now.
And a Big welcome to the daughter. :t
Bill

#57 ·
Ok, she'll shoot C-2 and I'll shoot C-3 - one of us is bound to be right. :)

Her first time, 50yds, iron sights:
Nice groups on the target young lady.:bthumb:

Dusty,
Best look out, they will get better than us in a short time and whip us with keen eye sight and calm nerves. :D
Looking for the Fun targets now.
Bill

#58 ·
Bill,
I wonder if we might do another, slightly different class.

I have a 25 yard range where I shoot, but it is not conducive to shooting 'bench rest' style shooting. It's more like a thin bench just to lay stuff on for off handed shooting.

HOWEVER, my MkIII with a Holosight should do fairly well in the 'C1 Iron Sights' category. But, I also know that we don't allow any glass or optics in the Iron Sights category.

So, how about a 25 yard pistol category, or even 15 yards. Open sights, and 'Electronic' sights, but no magnification?

Gary

#59 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Gary. :t
The way things are at the present time juggling 6 and sometimes 7 targets and ROE each month is about the limit of my time and reources for getting the monthly Fun Shoot together.
A seperate pistol/revolver shoot was attempted some time ago and didn`t draw enough interest to keep it going. But, If you would like to get one started and run it on a regular basis, I`ll be of any help I can muster up from this end.
At the time, I can`t take on another class or two as a full time thing.
Bill :D

#61 ·
Print them in B&W and shoot them as you would if they were color.:bthumb: It just makes some ot them look better when printed with color ink. :D
Note though that the contrast in the B&W will be different from an actual B&W base target.
SmallCal =Bill

#63 ·
Bill,
Got another question for you. I've just picked up a Kimber 82G. Class 2 or Class 3? Right now, it has the stock iron globe sights on it.

I was thinking of shoot Class 2 since I am a real novice when it comes to iron sights. I've been shooting scoped rifles since I started.

Gary

#65 ·
Probably shoot it Class 2 for now. Hope I can get to the range tomorrow night, I had planned on going tonight, but hurt my back this morning, and was in bed most of the day.

Tomorrow ought to be a better day.

Gary

#78 ·
I have a Kimber 22 with a 2.5-8x scope. It is stock, except for the scope I guess, but not a plinker so I'm guessing Class 2? I have never owned a good gun like this and haven't even got to shoot it yet, but will be shooting it this week. This match sounds like fun and I might as well give it a try.

#79 · (Edited)
Welcome YoSam22, :t
Do join in with your new purchase. That is a fine rifle and will fit right in the C-2.
Actually, it being a box stock hunting rifle with the addition of the scope, it can be used in C-1 also if you want to get it dialed in on some easier targets to start with.
We look for your targets posted on the Fun Shoot Forum soon.
SmallCal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.