August Fun Shoots

7K views 90 replies 7 participants last post by  LeeJ 
#1 ·
It's almost August already...

Here we go again:

Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://www.mytargets.com/target20.pdf
Class I Scoped (bears in da hood)

Shoot 2 shots at each bear (all 18 of them)

Shots completely within the inner perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 360
Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here (you might have to print it in the 'landscape' mode)

https://www.nrablog.com/media/1537598/nra_target_dice.pdf

Class II Scoped (pair o'dice)

Shoot 2 shots at each pip on the dice (all 21 of them)

Shots completely in the pip and not touching a perimeter line score 10 points
Shots touching a perimeter line score 5 points
Shots in any other part of the target score 0 points
Max score 420
Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

http://freepdfhosting.com/b72730449f.pdf

Class III Scoped (Ohhh, staples..)

Shoot one shot at each of the staples (all 20 of them)

Cleanly divide the staple in two score 10 points
Shots touching either edge or a nick score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 200

This is an oldie, but a goodie. You better get out the good ammo for this!

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://southpondcottages.com/metaleer/RFC-P-25-11.pdf
Class I Irons (Lotta bull)

Shoot 2 shots at each bull (all 11 of them)

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Max score 220 points

Class II Irons
Target here:
http://targetprinter.com/images/pdfgridshrinkingbulls.pdf

Class II Irons (shrinking bulls)

Shoot 2 shots at each bull (all 9 of them)

Shots completely in the black score 10 points
Shots touching the perimeter line score 5 points.
Max score 180 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2914274/25yard6duck-pdf-june-27-2011-12-34-am-129k?da=y

Class III Irons (Rubber duckies)

Shoot 2 shots at each bull - the black and white ones (all 6 of them)

Shots entirely touching the bull score 10 points
Shots touching the perimeter line score 5 points.

BONUS: Shoot one at the top central duck and get a 15 point bonus for an inside shot only, all others no score.

Max score 120 points, with bonus 135. Harder than it looks!

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

:F

See less See more
#2 ·
60 views and it's not August for a few hours . :)

I hope you like the selection of targets.

#4 ·
RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, 405/420, Class 2 rifle class 2 target
Scope, Mueller 8.5-32x40 set on 12x
Rifle make, CZ 452 Trainer #1, Ammo, SK Pistol Match (Special)
Weather conditions, 80 degrees, sunny
Excuses, nope!

Old #1

Blue Angels are buzzing the house as I type this.

#6 ·
Score w/ bonus, 175/180, Class 2 rifle class 2 target
Iron sights, Redfield (rear) Lyman (front)
Rifle make, Remington 540XR, Ammo SK Biathlon
Weather conditions, 74 degrees, partly cloudy
Excuses, I left my inserts at home,,,DARN. I could have used a little smaller insert!

#8 ·
Thanks Jack...

That center bull looks kinda small, no matter what the rifle!

Stay cool..

#10 ·
Thanks Bret :)

That old Remington does the job. I've been practicing with it offhand, currently shooting 90 (of 10 shots) on an A/23 bull at 25 yds.

92/93 is my goal... :t

Stay cool!

#11 · (Edited)
Went to the range today with the intent of testing some ammo.
However it ended up being too windy. My wind gage showed a 4.9 mph avg with a max gust 8.2 and the slowest I saw in the 40 minutes I was there was 2.3 mph.

Anyway I thought I'd just shoot a 25yd target instead. I mean heck, the wind won't have that much effect at 25yds .....right?

Wrong.
So the wind did get me a bit, but I was still pretty happy with the target until I got home and realized I'd not shoot one of the bulls.:)

Oh well...I don't know if I can just shoot that extra shot next time, or if it's a minus ten.
No matter though because I think I can clean this target with less wind.

So I'm not entering it.

Smooth

This is my wind meter.
Not showing todays winds.

It's so cool showing a constant reading of the current wind speed, along with the maximum and the average over however long you leave it on.
Made for wind surfing and sailing. Sadly no longer available in the US.
I also love it because it doesn't care witch way the wind is coming from like the Krestales. Direction is what wind flags are for.:)

#12 · (Edited)
Smooth what ammo & rifle were ya shooting ??
I shot 4 targets with my CZ 452 Varmint, I didn't shoot a clean staple target, but but.
Think I could shoot a clean target also with Center-X and work up my brain mentally....:D
Wind and your ammo choice makes a difference even @ 25 yards "fur sure" sometimes even the choice of the rifle.
I usually bring 3-4 different brands of rifles too the range & sometimes one will be a hotter shooter then my old go to rifle.
Have done the same thing on targets or have double shot the deal we are shooting LOL

#13 ·
Kevin, that was a good target even though it's a non-entry . :t

#14 ·
RFC Alias Shorty123 , First name Jack
Score w/ bonus 115/135,Class III Irons
Iron sights, Redfield
Rifle make, Win. 52D, Ammo, SK+
Weather conditions 75 & Sunny & Breezy

I dont know if I was eligible to shoot the Bonus or not Stan since I didnt Ace the basic target. Let me know and I will adjust score if need be. That is a toughy. I was bug eyed when done. I shot it with the Sun on Target awhile ago. Might try an evening target when the sun is behind the hill and target in the shade and see if I can improve.
Thanks!!!!

Attachments

#16 ·
RFC Alias Shorty123 , First name Jack
Score w/ bonus 115/135,Class III Irons
Iron sights, Redfield
Rifle make, Win. 52D, Ammo, SK+
Weather conditions 75 & Sunny & Breezy

I dont know if I was eligible to shoot the Bonus or not Stan since I didnt Ace the basic target. Let me know and I will adjust score if need be. That is a toughy. I was bug eyed when done. I shot it with the Sun on Target awhile ago. Might try an evening target when the sun is behind the hill and target in the shade and see if I can improve.
Thanks!!!!
You earned it! It's awfully hard to get a sight picture of that little bird . :t

Gave it another go today in a bit better conditions.

That paid off with a 200/200 target.

RFC Alias: Smoothtrigger, First name: Kevin.
Score: 200/200, Class 3 rifle, Class 3 scoped target.
Scope: NF 15-55X F Competition.
Rifle make: Anschutz 1727F-22 CISM, Ammo: Lapua Center-X. GRADE 10
Weather conditions: 78° with some annoying wind.
That's about as good as it gets, Kevin . :bthumb: . :bthumb:

...and a beautiful rifle, too.

#15 · (Edited)
Gave it another go today in a bit better conditions.
Wind today had a 2.6mph avg with a low of .9mph. However max gust was a 10.2!
So it was pretty easy to find a lull in the wind.

I also stepped up the Center-X ammo by using ammo from one of my three lots that I consider to be competition grade.
So I ammo from 3rd best lot of Center-X that I have
I don't normally go to the level of ammo for these competitions because I like to save it for local matches.

However I prefer to only use one box of ammo total for this competition, and because this target is 20 shots, I felt it I should go for it with some of my better ammo, but not my best

That paid off with a 200/200 target.

RFC Alias: Smoothtrigger, First name: Kevin.
Score: 200/200, Class 3 rifle, Class 3 scoped target.
Scope: NF 15-55X F Competition.
Rifle make: Anschutz 1727F-22 CISM, Ammo: Lapua Center-X. GRADE 9.5.
Weather conditions: 78° with some annoying wind.

Smooth

midwest swiss
This month I used my Anschutz 1727F-22 CiSM with a NF 15-55X Competiton set to 25X.

#19 ·
Score w/ bonus, 350/360, Class 1 rifle class 1 target
Scope, Simmons 4-9x32 set on 8x
Rifle make, Ruger 10/22, Ammo, (Ruag) 22 Semi-Auto
Weather conditions, 75 degrees, cloudy
Excuses, It's a 10/22...

Was good enough to take out some bears :)

#20 ·
Jack's havin' fun!

Aced the C1 :t

...and made a good showing on the shrinking bulls :bthumb:

With post & notch (I'd be helpless) . Good job!

#26 · (Edited)
midwest swss

Very nice shooting on both of those Class 3 targets with Class 2 rifles.
Quite impressive.

Just a side note:
I don't comment much on Class 1 and 2 targets because I never shoot them, therefore I don't have any experience to judge them by.
However, I do have a couple of rifles that I could shoot in Class 2.
A KIDD Supergrade, and Anschutz 1717D with a Lilja barrel.
Both easily make weight and all of the other requirements.
So they meet the specifications, but I'm not sure the intent.

What do you all think.

KIDD with a Leupold 3.5-18X scope weighing 8.8lbs all in.
Anschutz 1717 D with a Lilja barrel and the Leupold 3-18X scope weighing 9.1lbs all in.

Smooth

#27 ·
Kevin the rules say:

"(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class."

That's all I have to go on. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.