Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:16 PM
48woody

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
new charger more trigger questions

I just picked up an older charger, all laminated wood stock, 10" non-threaded barrel
Unlike the current trend to convert chargers into tactical pistols, SBR's, and arm brace setups, I plan, at least for the time being to use this charger as a bench gun. I don't compete, just plink at various steel targets and small paper ones. I would first, like to improve trigger pull and smoothness. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to buy, trigger group, tuning, bolts, extractors, firing pins, etc. I have about $250-300 for a budget. Later I might pick up a longer barrel if I get to a range that I can try out to 100 yards or more. I live about a half hour from Green Mountain Barrel's retail store. they have a scratch and dent section with various barrels for 1022's, cosmetic defects. Thought I might pick up one around 16" or longer and have it trimmed. Sometimes they have good prices, approaching 50% off. They also have barrels for other guns in the scratch and dent section. I don't think they list them on their webpage.

Thanks for any suggestions. I don't have to have the top of the line for someone into real competition. Just smooth, as light as I can for the money, crisp let off.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are on a budget the BX trigger from Wirthwein Guns are handpicked--or you could send yours to Brimstone Gunsmithing.

Regarding bolts, I prefer Kidd and I do not have any other brands.

My Charger with no Ruger parts (almost except for the BX parts, lol!) has BX innards encased in a Tactical Innovations trigger housing.

Very accurate with the ss 6" beadblasted Kidd barrel, I do not miss the 4" plate placed at a hundred yards:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Kidd trigger job kit is a great trigger for $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 08:26 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I second this, I used the KIDD trigger job kit in my charger as well and could not be happier (unless you get a full KIDD two stage trigger, but more expensive).
Old 04-30-2019, 12:01 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your are handy, the kid Trigger job is the way to go, if your real handy there are othe trigger kits, VQ JHW etc, Wolf springs etc and you tube.but if your not , then buy the Bx trigger, $50 , shop around.they are very nice. For $110 you can get a Brimstone tier2 Trigger group from S&P outfitters, donít forget the 5% RFC code . I have one and they are excellent.They have other bits and pieces that might interest you , so add them on , all included in the one size fits all 6$ shipping. The utg bipod might be quit useful. Go get the better barrel from GM. I donít think you need a bull barrel , as the short barrels are probably pretty stiff. The chamber cut makes a big difference in accuracy. You probably donít need a better bolt, I have fancy ones and stock ones and really they donít seem to make a difference, just polish yours up. A nice charging Handel is good , and the Kidd one is the best, comes with multiple springs.
Shop around , you can find deals on eBay or Rimfire Sports.

A can of hornady one shot dri lube is essential. Ps spay it into your trigger group too.

Now you need a rail and a scope. The std Ruger rail kinda sucks. Amazon utg low profile rail for under $10 is fine . Now you need a scope and rings, this tough cause itís not a rifle , so you may need more eye relief than most riffle scopes ,depending how you set up to shoot. And I donít know if you want a big honking scope on the little charger.

Personally I would just get a red dot, trs 25 or amazon clone and call it a day, but if you want to see the target and the holes at 50 yards your gonna need at least 12x and probably more. Aim makes a 2x 7 scout scout that might work too. I just donít know.

Good luck have fun and get some sks pistol match ammo.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:35 AM
48woody

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tossing around the idea of either a BX trigger group sent to brimstone for a tier 2 or 1 job or for a little more a Kidd single stage. Keeping and polishing the stock bolt, is it worthwhile to use the Kidd firing pin and extractor, plus their guide rod and springs.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48woody View Post
Tossing around the idea of either a BX trigger group sent to brimstone for a tier 2 or 1 job or for a little more a Kidd single stage. Keeping and polishing the stock bolt, is it worthwhile to use the Kidd firing pin and extractor, plus their guide rod and springs.
I have over a dozen 10/22's and I use the Kidd guide rod in every single one of them. Makes the action alot smoother. As far as the trigger, for the price of a BX ($50-$60) sending it to Brimstone ($80) + shipping ($15-$20) both ways, your almost at the price of a complete Kidd single stage unit (which is a better trigger). If you already have a BX then it may be worth it. I've never had a problem with the OEM firing pin. I prefer the VQ extractor to Kidd's also but both are good.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:50 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First use the original bolts as is, if thereís no problem, then, thereís no problem. Iíve never had a problem on oem bolts, I buy after market bolts on builds when I need a bolt as you can get them for around the same price as an oem bolt. As for the trigger, yes the Kidd $200 single stage is best. But that blows most of your budget. I have found the bx for $50 is fine for the kind of shooting you are gonna do.

Brimstone only does a tier 2 on the bx, on the std trigger tier 1,2,3 . 3 is a basic trigger job, polishing the contact surfaces shims and springs,tier 2 changes the trigger set up and puts in a different trigger , spring and and replaces the stock return spring with an over travel stop. 1 is just a better tier 2.
Youíve already got a trigger group, so you could send it it in for work. You could do a basic trigger job yourself , watch you tube, you could install an upgrade kit, sear disconector hammer shims springs, yourself. Pia , imho, or buy a better , Trigger group $50 Bx, $110, Brimstone 2, $200 Kidd, and sell your stock trigger for $25 or more on eBay.

The chamber cut on the barrel is going to make the biggest difference in accuracy. Get the GM barrel. You live by their factory/outlet store. If I did Iíd already have 10 barrels sitting on my shelf.

Charging Handel, Kidd hands down, just cause the rod is smoother and the spring isnít captured, so better operation and more options., but again I only buy them when I need a charging handle, the oem one works just fine.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:21 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
You could do a basic trigger job yourself , watch you tube, you could install an upgrade kit, sear disconector hammer shims springs, yourself. Pia , imho, or buy a better , Trigger group $50 Bx, $110, Brimstone 2, $200 Kidd
Agree with pretty much everything you said except for the price. The cheapest I've seen a BX trigger is $54. Brimstone Tier 2 $78.50 +$10 return shipping. Roughly $10 more to ship it to them. That's $150 min. I guess it depends on how good of a trigger is needed. If it's not a bench gun then a diy or even a Brimstone Tier 3 on the OEM group might be fine.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok $ 54. Thatís still $96 less than a Brimstoned Bx, plus a lot easier and quicker. I wouldnít bother to send in a stock trigger for tier 2 or 3 when I can buy a tier 2 for $110 from S&P and sell off my stock trigger for $25.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Ok $ 54. That’s still $96 less than a Brimstoned Bx, plus a lot easier and quicker. I wouldn’t bother to send in a stock trigger for tier 2 or 3 when I can buy a tier 2 for $110 from S&P and sell off my stock trigger for $25.
My bad, I misunderstood what you were saying.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:23 PM
Iowa Fox
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
The best first thing to change is the trigger.There are a lot of trigger options out there and I have tried a few along the way. In my opinion the Kidd trigger job kit in your housing is the best option for the money out there. I can't shoot a heavy trigger, with just a little work its easy to get the Kidd kit under 1 lb safe and reliable. When you install the Kidd kit just put the Ruger parts in the Kidd box, if you decide to sell just install the factory parts and sell the kit or save it for your next Ruger. I wouldn't change more than one thing at a time. Once you upgrade the trigger you might not need anything else. To get the most out of your charger think high magnification 16 or 20.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:18 PM
stevenstark711

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a Volquartson UP kit in my first 2 original Chargers and a KIDD TRIGGER in my newer takedown model,believe the Kidds alittle better trigger

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM
BBQBandit

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48woody View Post
I just picked up an older charger, all laminated wood stock, 10" non-threaded barrel
Unlike the current trend to convert chargers into tactical pistols, SBR's, and arm brace setups, I plan, at least for the time being to use this charger as a bench gun. I don't compete, just plink at various steel targets and small paper ones. I would first, like to improve trigger pull and smoothness. I would appreciate any suggestions as to what to buy, trigger group, tuning, bolts, extractors, firing pins, etc. I have about $250-300 for a budget. Later I might pick up a longer barrel if I get to a range that I can try out to 100 yards or more. I live about a half hour from Green Mountain Barrel's retail store. they have a scratch and dent section with various barrels for 1022's, cosmetic defects. Thought I might pick up one around 16" or longer and have it trimmed. Sometimes they have good prices, approaching 50% off. They also have barrels for other guns in the scratch and dent section. I don't think they list them on their webpage.

Thanks for any suggestions. I don't have to have the top of the line for someone into real competition. Just smooth, as light as I can for the money, crisp let off.

I too have a (first gen) Charger... after several thoughts... sent the Charger (without the grip) to Randy at CPC... you can see it here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1158627

A one stop option and solution.

Am now currently working on the next project; my Kidd protocal.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:06 PM
48woody

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have taken the first steps. ordered a KIDD single stage trigger group, KIDD charging handle with rail and springs, and a VQ extractor. While waiting for them which shouldn't be too long, I'll clean and polish Al the surfaces that rub together. trying to remove as little material as possible,=. Just want to try an get s mirror finish if possible. Then polish the bolt, if I have time I might try to dress it up a little.

I jeweled a couple of rifle bolts a few years ago that came out acceptable.

Will post as I get something done