Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

March Fun Shoots

5K views 70 replies 6 participants last post by  Shorty123 
#1 · (Edited)
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.
Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.
Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped
Target here
http://www.mytargets.com/target106 grid x4.pdf

Shoot 5 shots at each Red Bull
Shots completely in Red 10 Pts.
Shots cutting into white 5 Pts.
Shots out of Red 0 Pts.
Max Scope power 8X
Max score 200 Pts.

Class I Irons
Target here
http://www.mytargets.com/target102gs grid square center.pdf

Shoot 10 shots at square
Shots completely in dark 10 Pts.
Shots cutting white 5 Pts.
Shots completely in white 0 Pts.
Max score 100 Pts.

Class II Scoped
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20008.pdf

Shoot 1 shot at each Star
Shots completely in red 10 Pts.
Shots cutting white 5 Pts.
Shots in white 0 Pts.
Max scope power 12X
Max points 240

Class II Irons
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20035.pdf

Shoot 2 shots at each balloon
Shots completely in balloon 10 Pts.
Shots cutting outside of balloon 5 Pts.
Shots in the white 0 Pts.
Balloons may be colored for visibility
Max score 200 Pts.

Class III Scoped
Target here
http://www.mytargets.com/Target30.pdf

Shoot 3 shots at each red bull
Shots completely in bull 10 Pts.
Shots cutting black 5 Pts.
Shots missing Red 0 Pts.
Max score 120 Pts.
Max scope unlimited

Class III Irons
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10136.pdf

Shoot 3 Shots at each Bull
Shots completely in white 10 Pts.
Shots cutting black 5 Pts.
Shots all in black 0 Points
Max score 120 Pts.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)

So I have a couple of questions.

The rifle above weighs less than 10.5lbs as configured including the scope, but not if the the bi-pods weight is included.
(10 lbs-6 ozs ) I never shoot it whether on a Bi-Pod or a Mechanical slider rest with the cheek riser or butt hook installed.

The forestock does not have any curve on it, but is less than 2 inches wide.
It's also obviously sloped.
(The stock shape of any rifle shouldn't matter if it's using a bi-pod in my opinion).

The rifle is a 1727F-22 which is classified by Anschutz as hunting rifle (non match chamber).

#1: So does it make class 2 when using a bi-pod?
#2: If the bi-pod is an issue, how about using a Bulls Bag front rest?

This the same rifle in its hunting stock resting on a Bulls Bag.

Smooth

#4 · (Edited)
COW 54

Hey COW, what do you think about my questions.

Cow shoots at a range located in an "Upscale" area of our region and has a lovely 25yd line.:)

At my range located in a lower rent area of town, our shortest line is 50yds.
I'm going to get this changed if I can.

But before I do that, I'll need a slightly clearer understanding of the rules.
We have a bunch of rifles somewhat like mine.
Anschutz 1903's, MPR's etc., that shoot in our monthly USBR match using bi-pods.

None of those are True Bencrest rifles, although all of those mentioned do have a "Matchish" chambers.

So I'm just trying to get my ducks lined up before I bring this Fun Match up to my group.

Smooth

#7 ·
Valid questions...

At early as I can get out, I'm gonna shoot my Brno model 4. The weight is there for a class 2 rifle, but the original intent was for a competition rifle therefore I'm going to shoot in class 3. Un-scoped . :bthumb:

:F

#5 · (Edited)
The way I read it in the rules, if the forestock is wider than 2 inches were it rides the bags, it is class III. I have no idea how wide yours is but looks wide. This being said you can still shoot class II but just make note of it. Hope you can join in.:bthumb: And I dont think the bi-pod is considered into the weight.

#6 · (Edited)
"The forestock does not have any curve on it, but is less than 2 inches wide."
Well that turned out to be wrong on both accounts.:eek:

After picking up the rifle and turning it over, I discovered that it actually does have a rounded stock.:)

But when using my calipers instead of a measuring tape, it measured 2.10 inches wide.:eek:

So how did I miss that the stock is slightly rounded......well when you just look at it right side up, it looks flat.

Anyway, I'm in for this contest (along with others at my range) as soon as the range ok's letting me build a mobile target stand.
We have targets at 100-200-300yds plus the 50yd line mounted on the uprights.
This will require a mobile target stand..

Here you can see the 50yd line mounted on the last baffle upright.
Unfortunately none of the other uprights are at 25 yds.
Close at 74 feet 3 inches, but not 75 feet.
Plus we need a target stand at 25 meters for Appleseed practice.
So I will be building a portable stand.

Smooth

Good news is that I can shoot my rifle in class 2.

#8 ·
I'm not familiar with your Brno, but if it was designed as target rifle I get why you'll be shooting it in class 3.

But my rifle is a hunting rifle in a fancy looking position stock.
Hence, I'd like to shoot it against its peers.

I realize that you aren't saying it should shoot in class 3.
I just wanted to make it clear where I'm coming from.

Hopefully I'll get permission soon enough to shoot this months target.

Smooth

#10 ·
Nice shooting Shorty. :bthumb:
You have to look out for Murphy, he's into everything.

SmallCal
I'm going to try another C-2 scoped soon but the weather isn't helping a bit. Three more days of cold rain here. The Walther SportsterV needs some range time.

#13 · (Edited)
Nice shooting Jack!

Just back from the range this fair & sunny day, it was 50 degrees out there...

RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, 120, Class 3 rifle,
Iron sights, Brno
Rifle make, Brno model 4 Biathlon, Ammo, SK FlatNose
Weather conditions, not too bad
Excuses, nope!

This is a beautiful model 4 from 1957. Only 100 (or so) built of this type.

#17 ·
Might as well use the weather window while you can.

Nice shooting Jack.

I wish I could use the post & notch sights, my eyes have much difficulty getting a good sight picture.
On the other hand, I think peep & globe sights are da bomb!!
If I can see it, I can shoot it...

#18 ·
RFC Alias: Norwegianrimfire, First name: Øystein
Score w/ bonus: 150,Class: Class 1 w scope,
Scope: 4x32 Gamo, Iron sights: NO
Rifle make: Voere, Ammo: CCI SV
Weather conditions: fog, light snow +2,5 C
Excuses: No, just my fault.

Not bad, but why did I pull the tigger on the one that landed in the middle :mad:

#19 ·
Hope it's ok. Here is a challenge from a Norwegian FB site I am a member of.

50 meters, 60 sek shooting time, optional shooting position and support/rest.

10 shots, do not hit the target in the middle :bthumb: 84/100 points :) I was shoting from a prone position with a bipod and no back rest.

#22 ·
Looks like I might get in a target or two this week, Jack. Weather is going to be fair for a couple of days now. Sunny, calm and mid 40s. :D Then back in the deep freeze again.
Quite a change from what it has been for the last week or longer.
SmallCal

#25 ·
I'm hoping to go to the range tomorrow.

Got an old Remington to test for function, as long as it doesn't rain on my parade...

#26 · (Edited)
RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, 120, Class 3 rifle,
Iron sights, Redfield
Rifle make, Remington 540XR, Ammo, SK Magazine
Weather conditions, 42 degrees, light rain
Excuses, nope!

My old Remmy... Got this in yesterday :) I LIKE this rifle!

#28 ·
Hmm... This is the third time I've had to modify this target picture. I hope it works!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.