Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

February Fun Match

5K views 79 replies 10 participants last post by  COW 54 
#1 · (Edited)
RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09
This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.
Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.
Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on.

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

I will put together some shoots. Hunting rifles only for Class 1. Jr. Target Rifles or Heavy Sporting Rifles for for Class 2. Heavy Target Rifles for Class 3. Click on the target and print off. Scan or take picture to post after shooting session. Rests are permitted. Targets shot at 25 yards. Enjoy and spread the word. Be safe! J

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Class 1 Scoped.
Target here.
http://www.mytargets.com/target23 half inch on grid.pdf
6X Max power
Shoot one shot at each black bull.
Shots completely in the bull- 5 points
Shots cutting the bull - 1 point
Shots outside the bull- no points
100 points possible

Class 1 Irons
Target here.
http://www.mytargets.com/target20.pdf
Shoot 1 shot at each bear.
Shots in bear-5 points
Shots cutting outline-1 point
Shots outside the bear-0 points
90 possible points

******************************************************************************************************************************
Class 2 Scoped
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20002.pdf
8X max power
Shoot 1 shot at each ball
Shots in inner circle - 5 points
Shots cutting outline - 1 point
Shots outside inner circle - 0 points
75 possible points

Class 2 Irons
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20008.pdf
Shoot 1 shot at each star
Shots in Star - 5 points
Shots cutting outline - 1 point
Shots outside - 0 points
120 possible points

******************************************************************************************************************************

Class 3 Scoped
Target here
http://www.mytargets.com/target22 circles x20.pdf
Unlimited scope setting
Shoot 1 shot at each inner black dot
Shots completely eliminating the black dot - 5 points
Shots in and out of black dot - 1 point
Shots not touching black dot - 0 points
100 possible points

Class 3 Irons
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10135.pdf
Shoot 5 shots at each black bull
Shots in bull - 5 points
Shots cutting edge - 1 point
Shots outside bull 0 points
100 possible points

See less See more
#35 ·
RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, no score/just for fun
Open sights : Daisy
Rifle make, Daisy/Avanti model 853
Weather conditions, indoors at 10 meters
Excuses, nope!

We're snowbound. Even the mail won't go out - no deliveries since Friday.

Fortunately there's a 10 meter airgun range in my man-cave!

It had to be done...

The rifle (from the CMP). The bottom one.

Shooting 7gr Hobby pellets. The target was a real challenge, un-scoped...

:F

#41 ·
Hmm.. now I'm getting the urge to shoot something with iron sights. You're getting the blame for that, Stan..
I might try a bear target with the air rifle, the only other guns I have with iron sights are a Winchester .32 Spl and some pistols.
The last time I shot the Diana was when our local range was shut down for a few weeks. I really should use it more, it's reasonably accurate and has a good trigger.

#46 ·
I have 5 "good" airguns. The two listed previously, then these two

...and this

They are worth their weight in gold on a snowy day, a rainy day, or just a yucky day when you want to shoot SOMETHING.

#47 ·
No shooting here today Shorty. The old Mossy semiauto had bad feeding issues and I had to abandon the bench and go to work on it. It's been setting idle for years and needs a thorough breakdown and cleaning. I'll give it a try sometime later. I might get in a C-2 scoped Friday. The Walther SportsterV is calling my name. The weather is supposed to hold fair for the most part.
SmallCal

#48 ·
RFC Alias, Lasttombstone, First name Lee
Score w/ bonus 67,Class 2 scoped,
Scope Weaver V24 @8x, Iron sights,________
Rifle make, CZ American, Ammo, SK Std. Plus
Weather conditions 60, overcast, no wind
Excuses : Momentary Swollen Head Syndrome

Had been trying to do something here for a while over the cold months but the wind and rain just would not give me a break here in NC. Today was the day so I gave it a try. First impression of the target was, this is a piece of cake at 25. Once I started the target I was feeling wonderful, until the last row. Then, as mentioned above, the swollen head syndrome must have taken over. Will give it another try tomorrow.

#49 ·
I feel your pain Lee. I found the crosshairs wandering if I wasn't really careful. It's the old problem of being presented with a large target that you want to precisely place a bullet in.
The trick I use on occasion is to "aim off" the intended POI.
For this target, I'd sight in to shoot about 1/8" high and slightly left, then hold at 4 o'clock just inside the inner circle for an aiming point.
Sometimes aiming at 6 o'clock works better, everyone is a bit different. Aiming at 8 o'clock simply doesn't work for me, as an example, neither does aiming high.

#50 ·
Thanks for the tip Chilly. I"ll give it a try tomorrow. I'm gonna get on up and get ready to shoot tomorrow. Want to try this one again with the 452 and I have an old Stevens 66C that I want to try. It has a killer trigger pull so I don't expect to do very good but I know it shoots. Also want to play a little with a Nylon 66 and 12 as well as shoot a green monster at 50 to see how poorly I compare with Taterchip and others in that match.

#53 · (Edited)
RFC Alias, Midwest Swiss, First name, Bret
Score, 63 Class____2____,
Scope BSA 2-7X set @ 7X fur sure
Rifle make, TOZ 78-1, Ammo, CCI Std. V
Weather conditions 36* cold
Excuses, ya had gloves on & my ammo don't like it this cold out.

Thanks Shorty.....Great to see the fun match's going again.
Was fun too shoot my hunting rifles I had just a few days of warm enough temps this month to go to the range....so far.
Target's were shot on 2-3 2019.

#55 ·
Good snowy weather shooting, Lee and Bret. :)

Yesterday we took Mrs. Cow's Subaru up to the range. Had to turn around, still too much snow. My car would never make it.

Perhaps next week...

#56 ·
Nice job.. I shot again today, couldn't get past 63 on the C-2 target. Calm but -12C.
If I was to post a target, the excuse would be " too many layers on! "
It was bad enough I was starting to wonder what was going on, so shot a couple of tack driver targets indoor at 20 yds before I went home.
Nothing wrong with me, the rifle, or the ammo, just too many layers between the nut and the butt.
I tried some different ammo today, some SK Biathlon Sport and some SK Pistol Match. The Pistol Match looked quite promising at 20 yds, I'll give it a good test at 50 once the weather warms up. The Biathlon ammo could have been Tenex or Thunderbolts and it would have made no difference with the way I was shooting outdoors..lol.

#57 ·
Glad you were able to get out and shoot. Today was a good day to shoot here just not a good day shooting. I have convinced myself that the target I'm shooting is easy as pie and I still believe that. I just can't get my act together. Maybe next time I'll just take one rifle to play with instead of 4 and concentrate on doing what I know I can. Won't be for a while though. We are looking at some rain for the next 10 days.

#59 ·
My first try at the February Fun Match :)

RFC Alias: Norwegianrimfire, First name: Øystein
Score w/ bonus: 42?,Class: 1 with scope,
Scope: Gamo 4x32, Iron sights: No
Rifle make: Voere, Ammo: CCI Standard Velocity
Weather conditions: Sun, 1 degree celsius, no wind.
Excuses: Lying position without rest.

Not bad for an old gun and old ammo :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.