Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bowling Pins Anyone?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Throckmorton 
#1 · (Edited)
For the past 2 years or so a bunch of us get together at the range the first and third Monday evening with the RSO to blast away at 5 or 6 bowling pins on a 2x4, at saw horse height, at 10 yd.s. The pins are the height of the pin apart. Usually there are about 12 to 14 of us. Last night there were 17. Depending on the number of shooters, we may get 4 or 5 rounds in between 6:30 to about 8:30. Last night 4 rounds. The RSO's wife records the times etc. on a lap top. The RSO runs the timer. Two sets of pins are set up, and then reset for the next pair of shooters. Only one person shoots at a time.

Range safety is tantamount of course. But the camaraderie is what keeps everyone coming back twice a month. The skill level of the shooters varies from just getting into something new, to the guys that can really shoot QUICK. Age varies as well from the early 20's (under 21 requires a sponsor/relative generally) up to myself and another fellow 76 and 75 respectively.

We have two classes I guess you would call it. .22 and centerfire 9 mm all the way up to 44 mag and 45. Some of the guys (and gals) shoot revolvers as well as semi-autos, but one or the other on a given evening. .22 shooters shoot 6 pins for time. The shooter is allowed 2 magazines, each with one more round than the number of pins being shot. Centerfire shooters shoot 5 pins; 2 mag.s 6 rounds each. The RSO asks the shooter if he or she is ready. A loud "yes" or similar reply is made by the shooter at the low ready position. The RSO beeps the timer and the game is on. A maximum time limit of 30 seconds is allowed for expenditure of the 12 or 14 rounds. A few gotchas also. If you shoot the 2x4, it is a 3 second penalty added on. 2x4s cost money! If the pin doesn't fall off the board, you have to shoot it again.

Last evening, one of the newer shooters brought his wife along and she shot as well. It is really good to see the progression of a new shooter getting better as the weeks go by.

The RSO's wife keeps the data on a laptop: person, caliber, type, and time. For shooting in the year end best of the best match, a shooter has to have competed in each quarter and be in the top 3 + one alternate. A little more to it than that, but not to belabor the fun we have.

Age and ability is at all levels. Most of us are pretty good shooters. We help the new comers improve their skills shooting whatever pistol or revolver they have. Hoorahs and cheers for really good times, especially for new shooters who clear the boards for the first time with either one or 2 magazines. And for the quick shooters who have a super time.

Last night I had a new personal best. I managed to come in second out of 5 of us shooting .22s. I eaked out second place by 0.01 second over third place. It really gets tight. But I didn't realize until we were recapping the scores and places by caliber and type before we left that I actually smoked the first place .22 shooter on my quick round. I don't think I have ever beaten his best time on a given evening. Stan put down 6 pins in 2.94 seconds. I did the same in 2.49 seconds. I was flabbergasted.

Several of the centerfire shooters have broken 3 seconds knocking over 5 pins. Two of the better shooters are LEOs in local police dept.s. Another is a gunsmith who builds his own weapons. The rest of us are just shooters having fun doing the best we can.

VH :Oman:

See less See more
#3 ·
pins. ? oh yea !

before I moved away, my old range in Wa state had pin matches once a month.Set on plywood tables, you had to clear the table, not just knock pins down.
22's had the pins on the back edge, then a line for 9/s and .40/s,then the .45 acp shooter's pins were about in the middle of the table.

You brought several mags, but after 30 seconds you were done.

we shot 5 stages ,all set up differenly,and varied. Some were shot in order, some had a bonus shot, one stage I liked,the pins were set up like a bowling alley, all u had to do was knock them down. No, not quite as easy as it sounds. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.