Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Attracting horse flies/bugs

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  PEASHOOTER67 
#1 ·

Looking for ways to attract horse flies and or bugs to a 25 yd target. Too cold now of course. I have heard horse flies like blue shiny objects. I am wanting to use a large white poster board as a back drop to attach targets to.

Thanks

Romans

#3 ·
I have had good luck with...

I have had good luck with:

1) Watermelon and watermelon juice
2) full sugar soft drinks (orange soda pop works good).
3) fruit juice
4) other fruits.

Basically, when eating outdoors I watched what foods were the best attractant and used that.

I have also thought about plastering some fly paper to the target once the flies get there to hold them still for a head shot.

I would imagine manure would work as well but personally I would stick with the more pleasant smelling attractants.

Regards,
Cranky

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
Bug Hunting over Bait. (LEGAL ? )

:Modified_ I Guess I need to check the regs to make sure baiting bugs is legal in Illinois. My gut tells me no.

I also noted that if I am walking my trails, horse flies love to land and bite your neck and head. What do you think about one of those styrofoam heads that hair dressers use. Just kinda pretty it up, maybe some peanut butter on the nose.

Just thinking outside the box here. What about scent control and camo selection.
I can see this is going to get expensive real fast. How am I going to break it to the wife that I need a better scope. I need some help here.

Thanks

#9 ·
There is research on this subject (there is research on every subject, but that's another subject) - you need only to ask.

The Trolling Deer Fly Trap

Deer flies are a species of horse fly. The University of Florida recommends a blue object such as a plastic drink cup. Cover it with a sticky substance, mount it higher than the rest of your body - on your head - and walk around with it because these critters want their meat moving.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

#14 ·
They seem to like my blood, but the Red Cross got my most recent pint. :D

I'd suggest a sugary tacky substance - honey? My mother always said you'll catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar. :)

#16 ·
That's s a riot.

Yes, I'm a different kind of fella. I happen to like the strawberry and grape jam at ihop and anywhere else I've had similar jam.

It's also good as honey on attracting flys. Problem is that they won't stay still long enough to play catch and catch any lead balls.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.