Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Offhand A-17 75ft Challenge Game

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Bradical 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been collection a lot of A-17 50ft targets from Friday night riflery for the kids. They had been getting recycled, but this weekend I tossed a bunch into my range bag and patched some up for my own practice. I decided to give myself a challenge: See how few rounds I could use to hit the 10 black targets. It's a target golf game - fewest shots to a best possible 10 rounds wins. It sure is good offhand practice for squirrel season.

I used five rounds sighting in and adjusting the sling. It then took me 18 shots to put a round on each of the 10 targets. That double holed number 7 is from a missed attempt on number 10. I played the game with my son this weekend and we had fun. This game maybe a fun challenge to do with your shooting buddy(s).

We used our Remington 510P to 513 conversion Target Rifle with CCI standard velocity long rifle rounds.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's fun but not as easy as it first looks, is it? I tried to do it with iron sights from our Rem 552 but I almost lost complete sight of the target. Using iron sights was practically impossible for me. My son could use them, but we both did a lot better with peeps.

It also helped having us spot each other since at 75ft without a scope we couldn't reliably see our hits.

Next time we go to do this I'm bringing a couple of plastic cups along. This way the spotter can drop each of the shooters' spent case in his cup ... just in case any shots were off the paper. :bthumb:

#7 ·
OK so I had to give it another try this morning....hahaha. I started by a re zero resting and all was well so I gave it a shot! Got myself a 25, yesterday was over 30.... If it wouldn't have been for the bottom middle one I would have been about a 19. Couldn't hit that one for some reason

#9 ·
I shoot this target at 100 yds. from the bench and shoot around 85 average.
Was your 85 scored using this challanges golf scoring or were you using traditional scoring?

Being that this is an offhand challenge trying to do it with an A-17 target out to 100 yards would really put a hurt on my .22 ammo inventory.

"A man's got to know his limitations."

#11 ·
15 July 2016 Location Milan Rifle Club Milan Il. A-17 target at 25yds Off hand

Larry Fells 18 shots Savage Mk-2 / scoped

Dan Ide 19 shots Kimber 82 /scoped

we both feel we can improve. I set a shot limit for my self of 30 shots before I started. Couple of other shooters watched but did not join in. Maybe later.

#13 ·
I tried to get one more target in for July, but found out a Remington Nylon 66 is not what you need for the 25yd A-17 target. It would be a great tin can gun at that distance, but not this target. I'll try again in Augest with a different rifle. Dan Ide

#14 ·
75ft A-17 Free Hand Challenge Game

Today, my son and I had an opportunity to take a family friend who was home for a few days from the Naval Academy (just finished his first year) to the range. He helped us sight in my 640K and we had some fun at the 100 yard range. To liven things up I told the boys I had a challenge shoot for them at the 25yard range and introduced them to the 75ft A-17 Free Hand Challenge game.

Now, my son saw fit to seek out the local Marine Officer Selection Station in the hopes to enter OCS after graduation. He's been working with them during his freshman year and apparently, if accepted after graduation will enter OCS having completed some training. So, I thought it would be fun for a pending Marine Officer candidate and a Midshipman to take on and old civilian. :p

I shot first (age before beauty) and it was obvious after 6 shots that the rifle needed to be sighted in. The target was used, so those previous shots in the black were covered with shot-n-see dots and those not in the black were circled with a sharpy. We later circled the 6 shots near target 1 and continued.

I proceeded to pull a 14 out of my hat! "Ha! I thought - the old man's still got it! Now shut up, be :cool: and hand the rifle over."

The 14 turned into a 13 due to a spotter error - the number 5 hit on the outer ring was called out as a miss.

My son came in second, followed by our Midshipman guest. To be fair, the Midshipman doesn't get to shoot much at all. But, he learned a little bit more and had a good time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.