Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Fun matches dead?

14K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  BillyM 
#1 · (Edited)
Fun matches dead? No, not quite. November 2014 in work...

I started this thread a few days ago with the following question.

Nothing new out since April. No interest any more?

EJ
Based on the responses and interest of the last week or so, I have decided to put together a fun match for November. I'll post it as soon as I can get everything ready and you can begin to shoot as soon as it is posted. It will run through the end of November. At that time, I will make a decision as to whether to run a December match. Most likely I won't do a January or February match.

At this point I don't know how much trouble this will be to develop and run, but we will find out shortly.

EJ

#4 ·
Maybe folks are afraid to shoot for fear of not finding replacement ammo at a reasonable price. It's a bit late in the month to start one up for October, but if folks will respond here, I would be willing to put one up for November.

Now, I'd probably be serving up some re-heated left-overs, but even left-overs are good if you're hungry. I'll watch through the week next week. If you all want to shoot, reply to this thread and I'll see if we can't make it happen. Once winter sets in, we'll probably have to wait out a couple months.

I don't know at this point if I could commit to a longer term or not. I depends on what happens with my work situation and the interest here.

EJ

#5 ·
Maybe folks are afraid to shoot for fear of not finding replacement ammo at a reasonable price. It's a bit late in the month to start one up for October, but if folks will respond here, I would be willing to put one up for November.

Now, I'd probably be serving up some re-heated left-overs, but even left-overs are good if you're hungry. I'll watch through the week next week. If you all want to shoot, reply to this thread and I'll see if we can't make it happen. Once winter sets in, we'll probably have to wait out a couple months.

I don't know at this point if I could commit to a longer term or not. I depends on what happens with my work situation and the interest here.

EJ
I'm interested. May I suggest making it for the rest of this month PLUS November.

As for ammo, I have downgraded what I shoot & save the good stuff for hunting season and/or ????? :bthumb:

Also, several years ago a forum I used to visit held all winter long "cabin fever" matches - so you could get out when weather permitted. :comeandge

#6 ·
We'll give this one a shot. I'll begin working on getting some target links to post and we'll go from there.

I started at the beginning with Joe Haller's post in September 2006:

I missed an important match division when I asked Indy to set up our matches in a new format.

I forgot the "FUN" matches. Just today I asked him to add this one. And here it is already. Thanks Indy . . .

We have different volunteers running our FUN matches. Here is a new place to post the rules and the scores. If anyone wishes to dream up a new FUN Match idea, present it here: Draw up your rules and encourage the rest of us to shoot it with you.

Keep this in mind: Simple rules are best. Make 'em complicated and you will have everyone and his brother bothering you with e-mail questons. Asking you to explain this rule or that rule.

You got an idea for a FUN Match. Post it here. If it takes off, you will enjoy the thought that you dreamed up a match that was FUN. But: You must take responsibility for posting a score bulletin at the end of the month too.

Joe :)
So I will be building off of this idea as a base and we will be using the existing fun shoot rules as always. I hope I can get this off the ground. Shorty, are you in?

EJ

#7 ·
I'd be interested in something. Not big into matches held here anymore, but if you made them for just having fun and kept the rules to a minimum, it would be better IMO. If I want serious, can do that on my own. But I do like playing, experimenting and trying different things.

Never looked at any of the fun matches here before, but at this point in my life, it might be really neat to participate in.

Post your ideas. Personally don't have a clue about previous matches held, but am open minded and willing to try something different. Again, the less rules the better for me. I get in trouble when there's a lot of rules as its more fun for me to just try different stuff with my guns.

Thanks

Kenny

#9 ·
If anybody has some suggestions for links or old targets from past fun shoots they'd like to see again, post your suggestions here. It'll be a couple more days or maybe three before I can get into this in earnest.

I'm looking forward to getting this up. I don't want it to be so hard that it turns folks off, but the Class 3 targets may be challenging.

EJ

#10 ·
If anybody has some suggestions for links or old targets from past fun shoots they'd like to see again, post your suggestions here. It'll be a couple more days or maybe three before I can get into this in earnest.

I'm looking forward to getting this up. I don't want it to be so hard that it turns folks off, but the Class 3 targets may be challenging.

EJ
EJ,
Here are several links to working sites that I used back in the earlier days of the Fun Shoot. I hope they are of some help and I'm glad that someone has taken on the challenge here and is willing to devote the time to make it a success.:bthumb:
SmallCal
Target links.
https://sites.google.com/site/komitadjie/komi'stargets

http://www.mytargets.com/

http://www.mytargets.com/

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

#12 · (Edited)
ill shoot. ive been checking in every couple of weeks to see if anything was happening here. i found a good supply of eley in a local store with good prices. ill get the dust knocked off the 10/22.

i have a ton of the old targets saved on the computer. all in pdf format. if anyone wants them i will gladly email them.

#13 ·
I've never done the matches here at RFC, but I can say that I've not done much .22 shooting at all in the last several years due to ammo shortages and price gouging.
I'm spending a lot less time and money at the local shooting range, although for other people it seems that they have plenty of centerfire ammo to burn up.

When ammo prices come down to near pre-Obama levels, I'll shoot more and maybe do some of these online postal matches.

#15 · (Edited)
Some thots:

* on ammo, limit it to $8 or less per box/50 using some place like Bruno's as a ref for listed price. That would include mid-grade ammo like SK std. + or similar grade Wolf, Federal 711B, CCI std. vel., some of the Geco & RWS rounds, &c., but would exclude the more serious [& expensive] target rounds. In today's moment, it is a realistic ceiling and doable.

* have two classes, one w/optics and one iron, but in both classes the sights used MUST be described accurately. Not to disqualify anyone, rather just so other shooters know what their fellow competitors are using. If someone is using a March and another a 3/4" Weaver 4X I would expect the former to post a better score. Same for irons, Redfield Olympics vs. OEM opens, I would again expect the former to post the better score. Hey(!), its a FUN match, so do THAT.:)

* have the distance set at 50 yards and outdoor range specified, w/shooting from inside a 'house' onto an outdoor range permissible as long as the rifle's muzzle is outside the 'house' when firing.

* leave the rest's 'open' w/no restrictions, aside from clearly stating what was used. Since its just a fun match, who cares anyway? If someone wishes to use a 'lead sled' & set it up for each shot, let them as long they state it. All these matches are honor system anyway and the point is to encourage participation. I think that is best accomplished by inclusion, so let people use what they have or have the most confidence using.. sand bags, bull bags, front and rear rests, an old coat? Makes no dif. let them use it, but state it clearly when submitting their targets.

* time limit? Sure, thirty minutes per target assuming there are 25 record shots/target. That way no one need hedge & if they want to wait a bit to take another shot they have time to do so.

* number of attempts? Sure, four. Two hours is a lot of concentrating whether done all at once or separately and that werks out to one/week for those w/day jobs or limited range access. The best of those targets is considered for recognition, but must be submitted by the end of last day of the month to be considered eligible. We would not wish to wear the match director out, so be timely.

* could also have a 'FUN' pistol match w/same or similar rules, but at 25 yards and allow both outdoor and inside ranges to better accommodate those in cold climes.

I've not participated in any RFC matches, but its on my bucket list and the idea of an easily shot and unpretentious fun match is near the very top of a good place to start. Thanks for the concern and consideration.:bthumb:

#16 ·
This old 'Fun Match' sure is having a hard time getting a fresh breath of life. Bringing it back to the top again for resuscitation.

Someone with a little spare time could cobble together a target or two for a monthly shoot using whatever rifle/ammo you have in a non competitive venue. Just a simple blast 'em shoot at some ridiculous target without too much ammo waste per target. Let them shoot as many targets as they feel they can within their ammo budget.
Post the results to the forum with photos of the targets. Remember, this is a FUN shoot, not competition. Just bragging rights are earned.
SmallCal done this forum for 3+ years and had a lot of fun with it. :D

Someone step up to the challenge and get this thing going again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.