Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Nine Ball anyone?

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  plossel 
#1 · (Edited)
Nine ball. Ten x 22lr style that is.

Load ten rounds.

First shoot one sizer at the upper diamond (the head spot).

Then shoot the remaining 9rds at the lower diamond (the rack).

Scoring the sizer:

The maximum sizer score is 4pts for each of the 4 sizers with a maximum total of 16pts.

The center dot is .1" diameter and scores like the 10ring in USBR. Use a plug or not.

If the red dot in the center is completely gone or completely covered by the smudge or can no longer be seen after using a USBR scoring plug the sizer counts for 4pts.

If the smudge or plug touches red ink of the center dot but the dot is not gone it scores 3pts.

If the smudge or plug enters the white center area inside the red diamond but does not touch the center dot it scores 2pts.

If the smudge or plug lies outside the red diamond but does touche the outer edge of the red diamond it scores 1 pt.

If the smudge or plug breaks the solid gray circle ring it is -4pts. Think of it as scratching with the Q-ball. The result is a huge advantage to your opponent on the penalty. It's a big deal. You MUST not let any fliers go wild on you!

Scoring the 9-ball rack:

If all NINE rounds lie within the red diamond's outer edge the rack score is 10pts.

If the center dot is gone and the group breaks out of the diamond the score is 9pts. Unless one or more rounds lies completely outside the diamond in which case the maximum score is 8pts.

Touching the center dot is 8pts provided none of the rounds breaks the solid gray circle's ring.

Breaking the solid gray circle ring will result in a maximum of zero points for the rack.

All nine rounds within the solid gray circle's ring and none touching the red center is 7pts.

Any rounds breaking the dashed line of the outer circle's ring will result in -10pts. Think of it as scratching the Q-ball on the money shot. You LOOSE! And it is a well-deserved loss. That was a very bad shot!

Any time you shoot a NINE-shot rack and the group size is 1moa or less your rack score is multiplied by two.

The maximum score for a rack would be a nine round group that lies within the red diamond's outer edge and is 1moa or less for the group size. That is 10pts for the rack of nine shots and multiplied by two for the group size for a total of 20pts.

The game requires that one use 50 rounds per four rack target. No more and less. No practice shots.

Adjust the diamond and circle sizes along with distance to make it a challenge to get a nine ball rack (10pts) for your gun/ammo/skill etc.

I set mine up to what I thought would be doable for a 10pt rack but not likely with my USBR factory-stock class 1022 DSP using TAC-22 ammo based on what I know my USBR targets as well as 5rd and 10rd groups look like.

So far these are the only two targets I have shot and it looks like I set up very well according to plan for my gun/ammo/skill accuracy. Before actually shooting the targets I estimated that PAR for me (got to toss in a little golf) would likely be 32pts. I think par for me with this ammo should be more like 34pts. I was close to having it right. Also, as one can see, I came very close on 3 racks out of 8 to getting a NINE BALL RACK (10pts) but never did pull it off. It is supposed to be very difficult. With better ammo or a more accurate rifle par would be considerably higher. A pro with match grade gun/ammo would be shooting at 50yds with this size diamond/circles and it would be tough for them. I should probably move mine closer or make the diamonds/circles bigger. I don't want to use match ammo. I am thinking that to make it more interesting for me with TAC-22 ammo (I have a good bit of it and intend to use it all) I will make the multiplier 1.5moa instead of 1moa. In that case I came very close to scoring 9 or 10 points higher on at least one rack per target.

This particular target style is also very good for shooting typical sizer plus 5rd groups. I wanted it to be multipurpose. Good for taking notes and competing against myself and possibly others as well. Last but not least I wanted it to be geared toward sending all ten rounds onto paper as quickly as possible and still put a premium on accuracy of EVERY shot.

This did not come about by me setting out to create a new shooting game but rather a target that I liked that would be good for the Super Stock games, and good practice for the RFC matches using the USBR targets.

While I was optimizing the target features to combine what I consider to be the best features of a lot of different targets I don't like all that much as they are; it just sort of occurred to me that the diamonds with groups shot below with the sizer above reminded me of 9-ball rack with the q-ball on the head spot. So I went with it.

I did not put a lot of effort into the scoring it just sort of fell into place. It is a spin-off from the USBR and NRA type scoring, obviously. I am sure it could be better.

Note also that while the groups are above and the sizers are below with regard to the print, for shooting purposes I like the sizer directly above the group and use the sizer to warm the barrel.

So I hang the targets upside down relative to the print on the page. It is easier to get all the pre-printed stuff to layout to my liking with groups above so simply hanging it upside down for shooting works great. All one sees at target distance is 8 red diamonds anyway. Which is the way I like it.

9rd rapid-fire groups are hard to keep tight for me and I think I need more practice doing it. I enjoyed shooting these two targets more than anything paper I have ever done in the past and will be doing more of it in 2015!

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting you guys take this up or offering to run a program or share-file targets but if someone likes the basic idea and needs some help with the target design or scoring or whatever I can elaborate on how I scored mine if it's not clear and post pictures of example targets with cad dimensions.

This is the 1022 I shot those 9 ball targets with:

My rifle is a 50th model Ruger DSP. The only modifications are a Kidd trigger job kit, a action screw pillar, and some rubber bedding of the receiver and barrel plus a home made cheek rest.

See less See more
#6 ·
Sorry I missed this before.

Nice job bobbylee. :D

I have to say I didn't put a whole lot into the 'rules' and scoring and just assume that whoever likes the idea will adjust the target size and distance to their gun's accuracy and their shooting ability in similar manner I did for myself.

That said, I did make changes to mine after putting more thought behind it.

I have scoring guide/legend to put up later. Instead of 96 max pts I revised it to 100max. A bit more logical imo.

Plus, bobbylee's cleaner version of the targets prompted me to do the same. :D

One could also use the USBR green 10bull targets to do the same thing. Make your own rules if you don't like mine.

For me the concept was to print'em-shoot'em-score'em-post'em. No rules other than that with regard to rifle, equipment, distance, ammo. Just that at whatever distance they are shot a 1moa group doubles the 'rack' score.

#8 ·
Well I did get to try the new target and I liked it a lot.

If I had more time, I am sure I could have done a better job of making sure the groups were better centered and gotten a higher score. That is the point, however. Both tight groups and dead-on precision count. Shooting a 9rd, 1moa group is hard as nails with a factory-stock 1022 if you ask me. However, I did pull a couple of groups tight enough to score 10pts if the scope was better zeroed.

The first group (on the left) was little slow as I was not quite in rhythm and my best groups are always fast-fire.

It really is a good format. Fun and frustrating at the same time. When it gets too easy just move farther out.

#9 · (Edited)
I got very close to a 10pt rack but, no. For me a 9rd, 1moa group is not going to happen with the factory-stock barrel. I think the weight of doubling a score for that is working out to be very correct because I think even a match grade barrel is going to have a hard time pulling it off. Don't know for sure because I don't have one. Yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.