August Fun Shoots

7K views 90 replies 7 participants last post by  LeeJ 
#1 ·
It's almost August already...

Here we go again:

Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.

Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.

Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

Class I Scoped Target here:

http://www.mytargets.com/target20.pdf
Class I Scoped (bears in da hood)

Shoot 2 shots at each bear (all 18 of them)

Shots completely within the inner perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 Points
Shots Touching a line score 5 points
Shots outside score 0
Max. Score 360
Shoot @ 8X

Class II Scoped Target here (you might have to print it in the 'landscape' mode)

https://www.nrablog.com/media/1537598/nra_target_dice.pdf

Class II Scoped (pair o'dice)

Shoot 2 shots at each pip on the dice (all 21 of them)

Shots completely in the pip and not touching a perimeter line score 10 points
Shots touching a perimeter line score 5 points
Shots in any other part of the target score 0 points
Max score 420
Shoot @ 12X

Class III Scoped Target here

http://freepdfhosting.com/b72730449f.pdf

Class III Scoped (Ohhh, staples..)

Shoot one shot at each of the staples (all 20 of them)

Cleanly divide the staple in two score 10 points
Shots touching either edge or a nick score 5 points
Shots outside score 0 points
Max score 200

This is an oldie, but a goodie. You better get out the good ammo for this!

Unlimited Scope setting

Class I Irons
Target here

http://southpondcottages.com/metaleer/RFC-P-25-11.pdf
Class I Irons (Lotta bull)

Shoot 2 shots at each bull (all 11 of them)

Shots completely within the perimeter lines and not touching a line score 10 points
Shots touching a line score 5 points
Max score 220 points

Class II Irons
Target here:
http://targetprinter.com/images/pdfgridshrinkingbulls.pdf

Class II Irons (shrinking bulls)

Shoot 2 shots at each bull (all 9 of them)

Shots completely in the black score 10 points
Shots touching the perimeter line score 5 points.
Max score 180 points

Class III Irons
Target here:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2914274/25yard6duck-pdf-june-27-2011-12-34-am-129k?da=y

Class III Irons (Rubber duckies)

Shoot 2 shots at each bull - the black and white ones (all 6 of them)

Shots entirely touching the bull score 10 points
Shots touching the perimeter line score 5 points.

BONUS: Shoot one at the top central duck and get a 15 point bonus for an inside shot only, all others no score.

Max score 120 points, with bonus 135. Harder than it looks!

I'll see you on the shootin' range...

:F

See less See more
#28 ·
RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, 130/135, Class 2 rifle class 3 target
Iron sights, Brno
Rifle make, 452 CZ Trainer #2, Ammo, SK Pistol Match (special)
Weather conditions, 70 degrees, cloudy
Excuses, Nope...

#29 · (Edited)
COW 54

Well ok then.
2 of my rifles apparently are Class 2 rifles.
Meets all Class 2 rules.
Meets all Class 2 rules.
Meets all Class 2 rules except stock width. Convex but 2.13 inch. Class 3 rifle..
Meets all Class 2 rules except stock width. Convex but 2.10 inch. Class 3 rifle..

If I've misunderstood the rules, please let me know.

Not a big deal, I was just wondering if some of my rifles may be meeting the letter of the rules, but not the spirit.

Smooth

#31 ·
I was going to try to shoot a couple targets this evening but the neighbor below me is having an outdoor birthday party for his twin daughters and the other neighbor above and to the right is having a keg party so I will refrain and let them have their fun. I am on 20 acres here so I could shoot but am going to be considerate of their festivities.

#32 ·
Hello Gentlemen

Just recently joined RFC after browsing through it for a couple of months trying to learn what is going on. I shot USPSA for Senegal years in the early 90's and then moved to China to start a business. Now back in the US and getting back into shooting. The bench rest games have always intrigued me. So now here goes. Bought a CZ 457 Trainer and installed a Vortex Diamondback 4x24x50. It is higher than I wanted but have to clear the rear sight. I used a D-30 knee pad from a pair of off-road adventure pants.

Attachments

#35 ·
Try the dice

So I figure I paid for the range time might as well keep trying. Took 5 sighters with Federal 711B and shot the 25 yard 10 bull that was hoping to join the bench rest on line match but does not look active at the moment. Yes I know there are a lot of sighters and that is from trying to get the 525 Federals to work.

RFC name; Leej, First name; Lee
CZ 457 Trainer w 4x24x50 set at 7x
Weather; 83 F 8 mph wind from my left
First attempt to shot a Bull's Eye target

Attachments

#36 ·
Now try the die

Thinking things are looking up I grab a box of SK Match Flat Nose shot three sightseers and here are the results.

RFC name; Leej, First name Lee
CZ 457 Trainer Class 1 rifle shooting SK match Flat Nose Class two target
390/420 25 yards 4x24x50 set at 7x
83F 8 mph wind
I believe I should try this some more. Please do give advice so that I will improve and possible I'll get a re al bench rest setup and punch mor/e paper.

:bthumb:

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
:Welcome: Lee..

Not bad, not bad :t

I have 2 452 Trainers. They're shooters!

This is a typical setup

455 Varmint I got in May, this year.

#38 ·
Thank you Cow 54. I have been reading whatever I can find and recognize the mechanical front rest over a bi-pod is the way to go. My setup was is intended for NRL 22 matches but have found that it is developing here in Michigan. I am using these online matches for training and advice and hopefully get a NRL match in before winter..;)

#39 ·
RFC Alias,Shorty123 , First name Jack
Score 180/180 ,Class II Irons
Iron sights, Kimber 82G sights
Rifle make, CZ 452 Trainer Ammo, SK Pistol Match
Weather conditions 80 and Sunny and Windy

I completely forgot about this old girl tucked away in the closet upstairs for whistlepigs that I could use for class II.

Thanks Stan!!!

Attachments

#40 ·
Well done, Jack...!

The 452 trainer is a sweet piece of equipment. You've got the results to show for it :bthumb:

Stay cool!

#44 ·
Good shooting Jack!

40X is something I'd like, I think...
Shooting off the deck ... priceless!!!

#45 ·
RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, 120/135, Class 2 rifle class 3 target
Iron sights, Brno
Rifle make, 1957 Brno model 4, Ammo, SK Biathlon
Weather conditions, 82 degrees, partly cloudy
Excuses, Nope...

The bottom one :)

#47 ·
That Brno is an exceptional gun :)

Maybe I'll get to shoot the ducks again before the month is out...

#53 ·
greetings, again

I hate to be such a pest, but I am confused about the rules for class 1; is it shot standing - or off the bench?

looking thru the postings it appears to be from the bench, but I need to be sure.

looks like I might need to get my Winchester M52 out of mothballs, and give it a chance.

would a M52 be class 2 or class 3?

#58 ·
:Welcome: Merle...

Upon occasion I sometimes shoot Federal Auto Match, Aguila Target or Rifle Match, and Geco .22 or Semi-Auto. They're all under $4.00.

Anything that goes bang and hits paper is plenty for class 1...

Come join the fun :)

#59 ·
:Welcome: Merle...

Upon occasion I sometimes shoot Federal Auto Match, Aguila Target or Rifle Match, and Geco .22 or Semi-Auto. They're all under $4.00.

Anything that goes bang and hits paper is plenty for class 1...

Come join the fun :)

thank you, I have in mind dragging out my squirrel gun - a Ruger 10/22
I use CCI mini mag HPs in it, and they are a bit cheaper than $4 a box... :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.