Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

I forget how nice the model 60 is...

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Fasteddie01 
#1 ·
I had the 60SS and the 795 to the range this morning, I have not been shooting them lately as I've been using a bolt action 22 rifle and my 10/22. Both Marlins are a joy to shoot and I forgot how accurate they are compared to other rifles. I don't know what I was thinking and why I've been letting them sit in the safe lately, but they are out now and getting a good cleaning and lube. Both my rifles have Mcarbo spring kits installed with DIP trigger guards and scope rails attached. They Marlins just function so well and get the job done. I picked off 50 clays at 150 yards resting on the backstop, enjoying every moment and rarely missing. Thanks for listening to my little story and hope you have one to share.

#5 ·
my stainless steel wal mart special

my only NEW Marlin, a good buy at 197.00 . included scope is junk, do your gun a favor and add a GOOD scope, I did ! LOL my 60SB performs excellently, very accurate and dependable, once it is broken in. mine was not accurate out of the box but after about 3-400 cci mini mags the groups got real tight.

#7 ·
my only NEW Marlin, a good buy at 197.00 . included scope is junk, do your gun a favor and add a GOOD scope, I did ! LOL my 60SB performs excellently, very accurate and dependable, once it is broken in. mine was not accurate out of the box but after about 3-400 cci mini mags the groups got real tight.
Mine is exactly the same.. once broken in excellent shooter.
Because of you Jon P .. I own the 197 dollars Marlin.
Thanks!

#6 ·
I had the 60SS and the 795 to the range this morning.... I picked off 50 clays at 150 yards resting on the backstop, enjoying every moment and rarely missing. Thanks for listening to my little story and hope you have one to share.
I hit 2 out 4 clay birds.....that were hand thrown, with my Model 60. The guy that threw 'em, and another friend, both said if they hadn't seen it with their own eyes, they never would have believed it. Had a cheap 4x scope on it at the time.

my only NEW Marlin, a good buy at 197.00 . included scope is junk, do your gun a favor and add a GOOD scope, I did.
I did too. I put a Weaver V-16 on it. Squirrel.....killing.....machine.

Mmmm.....A $225 scope on a gun I paid $35 for in 1973. :rolleyes:

#10 ·
I had the 60SS and the 795 to the range this morning.... I picked off 50 clays at 150 yards resting on the backstop, enjoying every moment and rarely missing. Thanks for listening to my little story and hope you have one to share.
I hit 2 out 4 clay birds.....that were hand thrown, with my Model 60. The guy that threw 'em, and another friend, both said if they hadn't seen it with their own eyes, they never would have believed it. Had a cheap 4x scope on it at the time.

my only NEW Marlin, a good buy at 197.00 . included scope is junk, do your gun a favor and add a GOOD scope, I did.
I did too. I put a Weaver V-16 on it. Squirrel.....killing.....machine.

Mmmm.....A $225 scope on a gun I paid $35 for in 1973.
That's exactly how your supposed to do it.
High dollars scope on a fifty dollar pawnshop special, that you've restored.
You have good taste.

#17 ·
Mayfield Marlin 60 Best Ever Made

No surprise that your Mayfield 60 is more accurate than the older ones. Here's an old target using Midas Center-X...no wait, using Federal Automatch in the bulk box!

That was when I first got the rifle. Since then it has gotten better. I have found that it will deliver Fiocchi Subsonic Hollow Point into the 10 ring of a USBR Target every time (provided the requisite Marksmanship execution). I have done it enough to know that anytime I don't clip the 10 ring at 42 yards, it is me and not the rifle.
Loaded with that ammo, the Mayfield Marlin is a critter slaying piece of perfection.

#18 ·
"New" Mayfield M60

Hi - I just bought this NIB a few weeks ago - first owner never got it out to shoot! Seems to be a 2014 build per box numbering. I used to have a 60 back in 1973-ish, but when I moved to Canada I sold all my guns - too much $$ for licenses here.:(
I polished all the action and replaced the trigger return with a floppy spring and cut 1/2 coil off the hammer, but I need to get more time getting used to the gun itself. I can keep it under 1/2" if I take my time (one sec/shot or slower), but want to get it tighter yet. I've got a Bushnell 3-9 x 40 now but may go higher? Shooting from a bench sled for now. & only been out firing twice.
Since Speede-loader can't ship to Canada, I made my own with vinyl tubes & .308 cases (.270 on some others - OK too) - looks bubba but works fine.:bthumb:
Glad I'm back in the 60-world :t:t
[/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL]http://[/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

#21 · (Edited)
Hi - I just bought this NIB a few weeks ago - first owner never got it out to shoot! Seems to be a 2014 build per box numbering. I used to have a 60 back in 1973-ish, but when I moved to Canada I sold all my guns - too much $$ for licenses here.:(
I polished all the action and replaced the trigger return with a floppy spring and cut 1/2 coil off the hammer, but I need to get more time getting used to the gun itself. I can keep it under 1/2" if I take my time (one sec/shot or slower), but want to get it tighter yet. I've got a Bushnell 3-9 x 40 now but may go higher? Shooting from a bench sled for now. & only been out firing twice.
Since Speede-loader can't ship to Canada, I made my own with vinyl tubes & .308 cases (.270 on some others - OK too) - looks bubba but works fine.:bthumb:
Glad I'm back in the 60-world :t:t
[/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL]http://[/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Fasteddie;
You said licenses were too expensive there, please tell us about the licenses. Are those licenses beyond a hunting license? If so, is that on your guns collectively, or on each & every gun? BTW; that is a nice looking 60 you have there. My last 60 had a laminated stock like that, and I really liked it.

#19 ·
Took my 60 to the range last night. It's been a while since I had it out. It did surprisingly well with Thunderbolts! I was amazed.
I think what helped was I torqued down on the front stock screw a little heavier than usual when I was checking the screws, pre-trip. It had a few hiccups, but it hadn't been disassembled after its previous outing - just given a wipe-down. It will get a good cleaning this time.

#20 · (Edited)
Yes, those Marlins were always good shooters it seems. I have had several Marlins, all New Havens. I have a terrible habit of passing my guns to my grandchildren, so most are in the hands of descendants now. The model 60s were good, out of the box..but I had a model 7000 which would edge them out. Even better was the 880SQ, which is now in my grandson's gun locker.I did have one disappointment however. It was a 783 in 22 mag. I just couldn't get it to group well. I probably should have worked with it a bit more, but I traded it off, and tried to forget 22 mags. My experience with 22 mags started out good, with a Savage-Anschutz..which of course, was basically Anschutz. After presenting that to a grandson, I tried a couple other mags, including the
783. Disappointed..I backed off mags for years... until one day I was at a LGS and spotted a plain-Jane base model Savage 93 at a great price. I bought it, and it is as if I have my Anschutz back..

#22 · (Edited)
HI Ironglow - Sorry for the confusion - I meant all the long-gun registration needed here in Canada when I moved here in the early 90s. ALL long-guns had to be registered ($$) and pistols were Restricted registration - a "Higher" classification of Ownership Permit (and still are) I had 3 semi-shotguns, 2-.22s - Marlin 60 and an old Savage bolt from the early 20s, Taurus .357, Tangfolio .25 semi, Jensen .22 semi, and a couple thou rounds for all. I didn't have the time or money for getting RPAL (Restricted Possession/Acquisition License-2 day firearms education course with required paper Testing and constant background checks :eek:) and registering all these - the .25 and .22 semis would have been Pro anyway.:mad: Back in Ohio I just went to K-mart and bought stuff !! :rolleyes:
The Marlin-60 I have now is a Mayfield that was built in 2014, but never fired until I bought it back last summer. It had sat in a small gunshop with no interest, maybe alone in a box instead of on a shelf. I jumped on it for $250 CDN with a Tasco 3-9x (that I replaced PDQ) :bthumb:
I'm getting a bit better now than that first target, and now have a 4-16x scope, but still need to slow down to keep groups tight and under 1/2". Just too much fun ! :gun4:
The "speed-loader" I made works fine for quick reloads - wish I had the 'real deal' from Spee-d-loader (They're from Ohio as am I) :) I had one of the 'early' models back in the 70s.

BTW - When the Govt 'dropped' the long-gun registry I started my new collection. now have an SKS, 2 - .22s, 12g Hatsa pump, 12g Girsan semi, 12g Hatsan MarineGuard 14", Ruger .223, Rem 700 SPS Tac, and a couple pellet rifles. And for hunting licenses I'm over 60 so get Senior discount - bird & small game license is $13 and w/all game bird is $19 CDN. I don't hunt waterfowl but I think they're included in the $19 licence.

Hope this wasn't TMI
Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.