Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

April Fun Shoots

5K views 97 replies 8 participants last post by  Norwegianrimfire 
#1 ·
Make a note of these, they will be the guide for all future Fun Shoots'
SmallCal.

RFC Fun Shoot; Classes and Rules
This Fun Shoot is for any RF cartridge rifle, to include the following, .22 RF, .22 Mag. , .17 RF.

All targets in each class are shot at 25 yards.

The (old) rules for Class 1 expired 4-30-09 and have been deleted. (This update to C-1 made 7-16 09)

Note that we will use three different classes of rifles for this shoot and from now on and these class rules will apply for all future Fun Shoots. Make a note of them.

(NEW Rules for Class 1 Fun Shoot as of 7-16-`09 SPECIAL ADDENDUM to C1 irons and scoped shoot. PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

This Class 1 Fun Shoot is reserved for beginners and novice of any age.
Targets will be generous and fairly easy to learn on.
Class 1. Box Stock HUNTING/PLINKING rifles only, NO target rifles allowed. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of a scope with variable power settings and shortening of the butt stock for fit to smaller shooters. Scope power will be assigned at the time of the shoot. Usually not more than 9X. Iron sighted rifles will use original sights or replacements like the original. Any rest is allowed except Machine Rest.
These modifications to this Class 1 shoot are implemented to allow older beginners and novice shooters to join in the Fun Shoot without the heavy competition of shooting against target type rifles and highly skilled shooters. Those rifles and shooters will go to Class 2 from now on. If you have questions, PM me direct. SmallCal

PLEASE NOTE, that from this date (2-4-2019) on forward the ammo used in this class is limited in price to $4.00 per box for 50 rounds.

SmallCal

(Unchanged)
Class 2; Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifles. Allowed modifications will be limited to the addition of adjustable scopes with the power setting assigned at each shoot, adjustable receiver sights, globe front sights, trigger modifications/replacement to lighten weight of pull but NO low end limit but must be safe. Barrel replacement of any design that doesn`t make your rifle exceed the weight limit of 10.5 lb. total weight. Stock modifications or replacement stocks that resemble thumbhole or sporting stocks which have a convex forend profile and horizontal width no greater than 2 inches wide are allowed.
If your Modified Sporting Rifle exceeds any one or more of the above limits, it will be in the higher Class 3 group.

(Unchanged)
Class 3; All of those rifles that were/are designed for the strict purpose of Bench Rest Shooting with unlimited modifications and all of those rifles that exceed any limits in the Modified Hunting/Sporting Rifle class.
This class can be divided into two sub classes of those bench rifles with scopes (unlimited power) and those with iron sights (unlimited type). This sight division will allow all of the super race guns to be included here.

If you are unsure of the class you should be in, go to the next higher class and state that on your score/target postings.
I do know that there will be some rifles that are so close to fitting into more than one category that its hard to tell where they should go. If in question, go up a class.

Post score as shown here.

RFC Alias,__________, First name__________
Score w/ bonus________,Class________,
Scope______________, Iron sights,________
Rifle make,________, Ammo,_________
Weather conditions____________
Excuses__

We shoot these Fun Shoots WITHOUT a time limit and NO restrictions on ammo except in C 1 which is limited to ammo costing $4.00 or less per box of fifty rounds. Take your time and have fun.

Thanks.

I made the Class I's a little more liberal this month in hopes that some youth will get involved
Please PM me if any errors are found

Class I Scoped
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20027.pdf

Shoot one shot at each Glass globe part of the bulb.
Shots inside the globe 10 points
Shots cutting the edge 5 points
Shots outside 0 points
Max scope setting 8X
Max points 150

Class I Irons
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10124.pdf

Shoot 10 shots at the black center diamond
Shots inside the diamond 10 points
Shots outside o points
Max score 100 points

Class II Scoped
Target here

Shoot one shot at each bottom threaded part of bulb
Shots inside the threads 10 points
Shots outside 0 points
Max scope setting 12X
Max points 150

Class II Irons
Target here
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/rfcftp/targets/6-diamonds.pdf

Shoot 2 shots at each diamond black included
Shots inside the diamond 10 points
Shots outside 0 points
Max score 150 points with bonus
***Bonus available*** If both shots are in the white, add 5 points bonus for that diamond

Class III Scoped
Target here

Shoot one shot at each bulb filament
Shots cutting both filament wires 10 points
Shots cutting 1 filament wire 5 points
Shots outside 0 points
Scope unlimited
Max score 150

Class III Irons
Target here
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20035.pdf

Shoot 2 shots at each balloon
Shots inside 10 points
Shots cutting edge 5 points
Shots outside 0 points
Balloons may be colored for visibility
Max score 200 points

See less See more
#68 ·
I finally got out with the new rifle, a Tikka T1x with 20" barrel and a transplanted T3 Hunter stock.

RFC Alias Chilly807 First name Sean
Score w/ bonus 125 Class C2 scoped
Scope Leupold VX3i 6.5-20 @ 12x
Rifle make Tikka T1x Ammo CCI SV
Weather conditions breezy 5-10 mph from 4 o'clock
Excuses.. distracted by imminent turkey dinner.

The rifle. Since this was taken, I've replaced the rings with a lower set.

#69 ·
I shot two of these targets yesterday, the first one had a better group but one pesky flyer that I attribute to beady eyes and maybe a lapse in attention.

RFC Alias Chilly807, First name Sean
Score w/ bonus 100 Class C1 irons
Iron sights fork and blade Marlins
Rifle make Marlin M-60 Ammo CCI Blazer
Weather conditions breezy and overcast
Excuses.. darn trigger!

#70 ·
One more target from yesterday, again using the lil sweetheart from Alabama.

RFC Alias Chilly807, First name Sean
Score w/ bonus 130 Class C2 irons
Iron sights fork and blade Marlins
Rifle make Marlin M-60 Ammo CCI Blazer
Weather conditions breezy and overcast
Excuses.. nothing you'd believe ;(

#72 ·
Very nice shooting Sean! I here those Tikka's are the Cat's meow. I am impressed with the Class II Irons using the post and blade. I can hardly even see the little white Diamond in the center.:bthumb: You did a fine job on all off them. Thanks for joining in.

#73 ·
Thanks guys.
I can't see it either, Shorty.. I know it's in the middle of the black and the Marlin shoots slightly high at 25 yds. So I cut off the bottom of the black diamond with the front blade and turned 'er loose.
I shot two of those targets also, the second one wasn't as good.

The Tikka has made quite an impression on me, I'd have to say I like it.
I used the Tikka at 50 yds to shoot one of the RFC 25 foot silhouette targets yesterday, it's definitely one of the best shooting rifles I've owned. I got sloppy on the C2 scoped target, the rifle is capable of a lot better. The 452 Varmint can keep up with the Tikka, I think, but neither one shoots worth a darn without the right ammo.
I thought I'd printed more than one of the light bulb targets, but apparently they stayed at home!

I used to look forward to the monthly 100 yd challenge matches in the CZ side of the zoo. I still enjoy shooting them on occasion, but there aren't many days that it's calm enough to take a serious run at 100 yds with a .22.

It's gotta be seriously windy when I won't shoot 25 yds, even 50 isn't too bad in anything less than a gale. 100 with a .22 reminds me of shooting 600 with my F-class rifle. It doesn't take much wind to be a problem.

The fun matches are the cat's meow for me, I can shoot reasonably priced ammo and have some fun with it.

#74 ·
Thanks guys.
I can't see it either, Shorty.. I know it's in the middle of the black and the Marlin shoots slightly high at 25 yds. So I cut off the bottom of the black diamond with the front blade and turned 'er loose.
I shot two of those targets also, the second one wasn't as good.

The Tikka has made quite an impression on me, I'd have to say I like it.
I used the Tikka at 50 yds to shoot one of the RFC 25 foot silhouette targets yesterday, it's definitely one of the best shooting rifles I've owned. I got sloppy on the C2 scoped target, the rifle is capable of a lot better. The 452 Varmint can keep up with the Tikka, I think, but neither one shoots worth a darn without the right ammo.
I thought I'd printed more than one of the light bulb targets, but apparently they stayed at home!

I used to look forward to the monthly 100 yd challenge matches in the CZ side of the zoo. I still enjoy shooting them on occasion, but there aren't many days that it's calm enough to take a serious run at 100 yds with a .22.

It's gotta be seriously windy when I won't shoot 25 yds, even 50 isn't too bad in anything less than a gale. 100 with a .22 reminds me of shooting 600 with my F-class rifle. It doesn't take much wind to be a problem.

The fun matches are the cat's meow for me, I can shoot reasonably priced ammo and have some fun with it.
I used to love shooting the 100 yard match that Art hosts. I just cant see anymore. All blurry and to shakey. I used to post some good scores with the 40x and the 52D. I tryed one a week ago and was all over the place.

#76 ·
It was a party sunny day. Range time!

RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, 145/150, Class 2 rifle class 2 target
Scope, Mueller 8.5x32 set on 12x
Rifle make, CZ 452 Trainer #1, Ammo, Wolf Match Target (old stock made by Lapua)
Weather conditions, 63 degrees, overcast/part sun
Excuses, none

The bottom one :)

:F

#78 · (Edited)
Nice CZ's. I might get me a 457 trainer.
Thanks, Jack :D

I have several of these, mostly 452 types, 3 455 types, and coming soon, a 455 Varmint with a 24" barrel. Fun stuff. The 457 platform is way too new (for me). I just have to see how they shoot for a couple years before I make a move.

Any CZ makes you shoot better...

#79 · (Edited)
RFC Alias, Midwest Swiss, First name, Bret
Score, 110 Class____3____,
Scope BSA 4-16X set @ 16X
Rifle make, CZ 452 Varmint, Ammo, old old 12 Dot Eley Club
Weather conditions 42* cold and a 10-15 mph wind
Excuses, ya had gloves on & a arctic NE wind .

Look @ my wind flag.

Here is my Class 2 target that I shot 2 shots & not 1 per bulb base :bonk:

https://i.imgur.com/t8MNvWp.jpg

But had a good time.....:bthumb:

#80 · (Edited)
Why are you shooting in class 3 with your CZ 452.
Did I miss read the rules

Anyway a 10mph 90° cross wind will move a .22lr bullet at 25yds .33 of an inch.

So I think you shot fantastic. Especially if it was gusting between 10 & 15 mph.
It's so hard to pick your aim point if the wind is changing velocity and angle.

Smooth

#83 ·
The rules were written years ago before my time here but I think it is acceptable to move up in Class as far as one wants to get more shooting in and more of a challenge but not acceptable to move down in Class/Classes as this would be unfair to those shooters who don't have the higher Class rifles. That is the way it has worked in the past.

#81 · (Edited)
Thanks Smooth.
Yes an Class 1 & 2 rifle can jump up a class but a Class 3 rifle can not jump down a class.
Maybe shorty 123 can clear this up, this what I under stand any way.
Ya the wind was 8 "O" Clock to 5 "O" clock and is a very tricky wind too shoot @
the range I shoot @.
But ya it is a real work out shooting in windy conditions, lots of Kentucky wind age, working the bolt fast at times and some luck.

Swiss

#82 ·
Nice shooting Bret in those conditions. The Cz and you did a good job.:bthumb: As for the xtra shots, you can blame it on old farts syndrome.:D I see more Winter is headed your way now as per the Weather Channel. Stay Warm! Thanks for shooting with us this month.

#85 ·
I think you're going to fit in just fine here Smooth.. you do realize that you asked why someone would do the same thing you do? ;)

Most bags have more than one nut in them, and this one is no exception.. I usually try to shoot the C3 target myself, but was getting low on ammo and targets at the last range trip. The added challenge is part of it, though I didn't go clean on the C2 scoped target either.

The Tikka is slowly getting through the adjustment and sorting out phase. I think it'll be the equal of my 452, if it was a tad bit heavier it'd be better though.
The rifle is capable, I think, but operator error is still the limiting factor.

Do you have an old beater in the closet, something with open sights? If not, you should have. I'm having more fun in the C1 iron sight class than anything else. The Marlin M-60 has one of the worst, most lawyer-infested triggers I've ever come across, but it still hammers them home. Great fun with cheap ammo and low expectations.
I might try my Ruger Mk II in the C1 iron class next month, that should be pure entertainment. It'll meet the weight requirement, to be sure. 7 inch barrel might be an issue, though. I'll let Jack rule on that..

#87 ·
I think you're going to fit in just fine here Smooth.. you do realize that you asked why someone would do the same thing you do? ;)

Most bags have more than one nut in them, and this one is no exception.. I usually try to shoot the C3 target myself, but was getting low on ammo and targets at the last range trip. The added challenge is part of it, though I didn't go clean on the C2 scoped target either.

The Tikka is slowly getting through the adjustment and sorting out phase. I think it'll be the equal of my 452, if it was a tad bit heavier it'd be better though.
The rifle is capable, I think, but operator error is still the limiting factor.

Do you have an old beater in the closet, something with open sights? If not, you should have. I'm having more fun in the C1 iron sight class than anything else. The Marlin M-60 has one of the worst, most lawyer-infested triggers I've ever come across, but it still hammers them home. Great fun with cheap ammo and low expectations.
I might try my Ruger Mk II in the C1 iron class next month, that should be pure entertainment. It'll meet the weight requirement, to be sure. 7 inch barrel might be an issue, though. I'll let Jack rule on that..
Just so its not scoped or red dot'ed, have at it Sean. Sounds very challenging. I no I cant hit the side of a barn with a sidearm. Have Fun! Thats what its all about.

#88 ·
Likely the last target for April...

RFC Alias, COW 54, First name, Stan
Score w/ bonus, 120/150, Class 3 rifle class 3 target
Scope, Simmons 8-21x44
Rifle make,Russian CM-2, Ammo, SK Flatnose Match
Weather conditions, 62 degrees, overcast/part sun
Excuses, a little windy

#89 ·
Another nice Target Stan and another nice Rifle you pulled out of the Hat. Those little bulb filaments sure do seem to move around a lot. I had a chance to buy one of those rifles years ago. A gun shop at Erie had about 2 dozen of them in his shop. They were not near as clean as yours but He said they were shooters and had very nice triggers. The price was right but I had no knowledge of them. They might have been CM'1s. I forget. Anyway Thanks for joining in!

#93 ·
You too! Our snow melted, now we're enjoying spring..

Nice shooting and a cool gun, Stan!

I hope I finish the renovation of the stock on the Voere Sunday.

Then I will sight in the new sight and try one more time before the month is over :bthumb:
:)

I've done ONE stock refinish. On Kalishnakitty (my wife's AK).

Speaking of sights, I just upgraded the front sights on the old Remington and also the BSA to Lyman #93 match.
Won't make me shoot better, but inserts are readily available.

#94 ·
RFC Alias: Norwegianrimfire, First name: Øystein,
Score w/ bonus: 140,Class: C1 scoped,
Scope: Nikko Sterlin 3-9x40 sett at 8x, Iron sights: NO
Rifle make: Voere, Ammo: CCI SV
Weather conditions: Sunny and some wind.
Excuses: The wind got me a couple of times at the C1.

Shot at the same target C2 scoped. Same gun, ammo and scope sett at 9x
Score w/ bonus: 115
Excuses: Only 9x at the C2 target ;)

The gun and settup ;)

Looking forward to May with new challenge :gun4:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.