Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Took a young one to the range today

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Shorty123 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a chance to take a young man (17 yo we'll call John W.) to my range today and introduce him to bench shooting. An entirely new experience for him. He regularly hunts with a 22 rifle as well as shotgun but this was a real treat to be able to get his hands on a target grade rifle and have someone instruct him in the basics.
After several hours of verbal and hands on instructions and several simple targets to get the feel of how things work, I turned him loose (observing him all the time) on the following two targets. First, the three shot group target and then our old dreaded fly target.
He done great until the last group target and he was getting a bit too excited at how well things were going and then lost it entirely on the one group. Still a great target for a first.
We took a 30 minute rest after that and went back to the fly target. He had settled down a lot by then and shot a really respectable target with all flies dead.
A fine day on the range with a young man.( A neighbors son that lives about three miles away out here in the wide open farm country. ) Temp 76, Calm wind and bright sun. Walther SportsterV with Weaver 4X16AO, SK Magazine ammo. The Rock front rest, Rabbit ear bags rear, off a concrete/cinder block rest . 150 rounds down range.
SmallCal

fly tgt

See less See more
#4 ·
awesome. Great shooting, too.

I have been trying to get two of my nephews to go .22 shooting with me for years. One will go once a year, but he only wants to do rapid fire. Just like his first-person-shooter-video games. The other can't go at all, ever. His parents have him committed to other activities-- swimming, soccer, extra tutoring in math. It's good for him, sure, but I think at least twice a year he should take a day off from the other stuff and go shooting. As it looks, the kid will grow up not knowing anything about guns other than what he sees on TV.

#8 ·
Can't help but bring this back to the top again and do a little bragging.

The young fellow, John W. that I took to the range has made me proud. As of the 28 of this month he will be called a United States Marine. Graduating with honors from Parris Island SC.
He passed the rifle (M16A4) training with scores that earned him the Expert rating.
Must have been something in the water here that helped him along to this accomplishment.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him in a few days.

SmallCal

#10 ·
GREAT job SmallCal! It's always rewarding when we can have a positive impact on someone's life. It sounds like you did just that!

Folks, we have to remember it is all of our responsibility to further our sport by getting young people involved, and excited about how to SAFELY, and accurately handle firearms. If ya have "that Neighbor Kid" down the road, or even next door, see if they would be interested. Often times, the parents don't shoot, and that kid just doesn't get the opportunity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.