Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Savage, Stevens, Springfield, Clone Data Base

307K views 615 replies 168 participants last post by  IdahoMTM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Savage, Stevens, Springfield, Clone Gill Gun Data Base

In an attempt to sort out and consolidate the various features found on these rifles & discussed in several threads (around a dozen threads with over 500 posts), it would be helpful if those willing to participate would post the following information about their rifles:

Manufacturer: Savage, Stevens, Springfield & Model No., or store brand (name & store model No.)

Factory: Utica, Chicopee Falls or Westfield if present.

Barrel:Patent numbers on the barrrel, not the number of patents.

"Cal. 22 Long Rifle Smokeless Greased Only" or ".22 Short Long Or Long Rifle Long Rifle Only As Automatic"
Barrel length

Bumper(top of receiver): Solid, spring loaded or "V' shaped

Receiver & Sights:
Standard post & rear sights, fold down rear, ramp or globe front.
Unholey reciever, d&t'd for peep only, d&t'd for side mount scope (2 or 4 holes), d&t'd for both peep & scope, grooved for tipoff.
Flat or streamlined receiver plug. Metal or plastic.
Gills (openings) or not & number of on left side.

Charging Handle: Large grooved, large flat, small ribbed, or other.

Trigger Mechanism: Long or short.

Lifter: Wire or solid. "R" spring or coil spring.

Stock: Walnut or hardwood (Birch or Beech), "Buckhorn" (black tip), checkered grip or plain, Tenite.

Trigger Guard: Cast, formed steel, plastic. Inletted or recessed into stock or not.

Magazine: Tube or magazine.
If tube: Oval loading port or cartridge shaped.

Here are date codes from 1949 thru 1968.

A=49, B=50, C=51, D=52, E=53, F=54, G=55, H=56, I=57, J=58, K=59, L=60

M=61, N=62, P=63, R=64, S=65, T=66, U=67, V=68, (W=69, X=70)

The alpha code should be preceeded one or two numbers enclosed in a circle on top of the barrel, between the rear sight & the receiver, as in this pic of a 6D...

By the date code G, this should be a 1955 rifle.
Disregard the large O since O & Q were not used in the codes.

Thanks to all the members who have contributed the above pictures...this was a team effort!

List multiple rifles separately.

Mine is:
Manufacturer: Springfield Model 87A
Factory: Chicopee Falls
Barrel:patents: 2094577, 2224758,2223093,RE22585,2271576.
".22 Short Long Or Long Rifle, Long Rifle Only As Automatic"
24" barrel
Bumper: spring type

Receiver & Sights: Standard post & rear sights.
Solid receiver. Not d&t'd for peep or scope, not grooved.
Flat plug, steel.
8 gills on left, one on right.
Charging Handle:Large grooved
Trigger Mechanism: Long
Lifter: Solid. Coil spring.
Stock: Walnut. Checkered grip.
Trigger Guard: Cast. Inletted.
Mag: Tube fed, cartridge shaped port

Feel free to list any variations not mentioned or post pics of anything you may be unsure of.

Thanks, Hud

ShootsAtSky has done us all a great favor by putting the database spreadsheet in a format that can be accessed from this thread through this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz10uPZOODB5OUZrejNvY09Uem8/edit?usp=sharing

8/1/12 Spreadsheet updated to include new entries & hyperlinks to patents & members orignial posts.

The spreadsheet isn't locked, so people can make changes to their copy if they save it to their pc, but they can't post it back up to the link.

Anyone with new information needs to post at the end of this thread & the DB will be updated from there to the link .

Thanks again Bob :bthumb:

This post contains somewhat of a chronology & links to all the patents found on these guns:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2987738&postcount=74

The member's guns here are listed in their current configuration as posted and may not reflect original factory configuration.

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
Other - Stevens for Sears

Manufacturer: J.C.Higgins 101.16 Sears Roebuck & Company
Factory: Unknown
Patents: 2094577 2224758 2223093 RE 22585 227.576
Barrel: 24" marked ".22 Short, Long or Long Rifle" Long Rifle only is Automatic
Receiver & Sights: bead-tipped front and stamped metal rear. Ungrooved, D&T (2 10-32 holes for peep sight), flat plug, 8 gills on left, 1 on right
Charging Handle: Dished, 3/4" diameter
Lifter: Solid with coil spring
Stock: Tenite
Trigger Guard: Metal (aluminum), inletted
Mag: Tube

#40 ·
I forgot about these 'parts' I just got recently - you can see that there is a different notch on the bottom of the receiver, all the screws on this show obvious signs of being turned so the originality of any of the parts has to be questioned. I always thought the Springfield line was were they used up older parts - this looks to be along that line.

Manufacturer: J. Stevens Arms Co., Springfield, Model 87A
Factory: Chicopee Falls, Mass.
Patents: 2094577 OTHERS PENDING
Receiver and sights: Bought as parts gun - plug and internal parts missing, no gills, obround ejection port, late style moving bumper, odd notching in receiver at front of the trigger assembly, sights are early standard - screwed on dovetail rear
Barrel: 24, actual measures about 1/16 over
Charging handle: UNKNOWN - missing - bought as parts
Trigger mechanism: long with extra notch in the rear piece for the saftey
Lifter: solid
Stock: UNKNOWN - missing - bought as parts
Trigger guard: UNKNOWN - missing - bought as parts
Magazine: tube

#42 ·
I forgot about these 'parts' I just got recently - you can see that there is a different notch on the bottom of the receiver, all the screws on this show obvious signs of being turned so the originality of any of the parts has to be questioned. I always thought the Springfield line was were they used up older parts - this looks to be along that line.

Manufacturer: J. Stevens Arms Co., Springfield, Model 87A
Factory: Chicopee Falls, Mass.
Patents: 2094577 OTHERS PENDING
Receiver and sights: Bought as parts gun - plug and internal parts missing, no gills, obround ejection port, late style moving bumper, odd notching in receiver at front of the trigger assembly, sights are early standard - screwed on dovetail rear
Barrel: 24, actual measures about 1/16 over
Charging handle: UNKNOWN - missing - bought as parts
Trigger mechanism: long with extra notch in the rear piece for the saftey
Lifter: solid
Stock: UNKNOWN - missing - bought as parts
Trigger guard: UNKNOWN - missing - bought as parts
Magazine: tube
QUOTE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'm really confused. A gill-less receiver, without the early "R" lifter spring but with the long trigger assembly. What's the world coming to....:confused:

#41 · (Edited)
fixerupper,
From what I've found so far, Ranger was the early Sears brand, followed by J.C. Higgins from the mid '40s to the early '60s when it was replaced by the Ted Williams line (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
I have a Higgins 29 made by High Standard that dates to around 1954.

Sav22,
The trigger assy. is interesting in that mine & most pics I've seen of them, the parts are plated, whereas yours is blued.

The plot thickens.

#46 ·
I started this thread in the hope that with the G2 of the members here, if we got all our marbles in one bag, that we might have a better chance of figuring all this out.
It seems to be working...we have had several revelations so far :).
Keep the ideas coming :bthumb:.

#47 ·
I have no G2! :)

So we have Stevens/Springfield manufacturing the 87 series at Chicopee Falls from about 1938 thru 1960 when they moved all manufacturing and administrative functions to Westfield Mass. And.....

The Savage model 6 made between about 1938 to 1946 at Utica when they moved to Chicopee Falls and restarted production in 1947. Then everything moved to Westfield in 1960.

Soooo my Savage model 6D rollmarked Chicopee Falls was made prior to 1960 and my Savage model 6DL marked Westfield was made in 1960 or later.

Is this your point Pick? I'm confused, Savage rifles were not made in Chicopee Falls prior to 1946?????

#49 ·
Newest arrival ("Serialized junk") I will also post it with my others on page one and later delete this after everyone takes a look.

Manufacturer: Stevens 87A (Savage Arms Cooperation)
Factory: Chicopee Falls Mass
Patents: 2094577, 224758, 2223093, RE22585, 2271576 (Upside down)
Receiver and sights: Front sight is a replacement (looks Remingtonish), Rear sight Marbles buckhorn replacement dovetail screwed. Receiver not grooved, two maybe factory drilled for 10/32, also drilled for a peep sight. Eight gill openings left, one right. Large ¾” relieved bolt handle.
Barrel: 24” roll marked Stevens Savage Arms Corporation Chicopee Falls, Mass 87A. .22 short, long or long rifle. Long rifle only as automatic.
Trigger mechanism: Long
Lifter: Solid w/coiled spring
Stock: N/A (came without one)
Trigger guard: “ “ “
Magazine: Tube fed.

#58 ·
Excuses

Sorry, been doing some work on a customers site and didn't think it'd be a good idea to use their lan for access. The hotel blocked RFC (and lots of other stuff as well). Surprisingly the airport WiFi didn't block, but I didn't think it would be a great idea to browse gun pictures sitting in the Phoenix airport Starbucks.

Will put something up today and probably add pictures later.

Bob

#51 ·
Manufacturer: Ranger 101.16 (pre-war)

Factory: unknown

Barrel: 2094577 and 2223093
".22 Short Long Or Long Rifle Long Rifle Only As Automatic" 24 inch

Bumper: spring loaded

Receiver & Sights: Standard, d&t'd for side mount scope (2 holes) 1 gill on right, 8 gills on left. Flat metal plug.

Charging handle: large grooved

Trigger Mechanism: long

Trigger guard: plastic

Magazine: tube, cartridge shape port

Stock: Don't know what kind of wood it is. You tell me:

#52 · (Edited)
Tech,
Thanks for the info. I'll be putting it into the spreadsheet shortly.
There are still a few regulars that I'm sure will be posting soon.
Plus we will probably be getting some drive-bys from time to time.

Justibm,
Thank you for posting & welcome to the madness.
Your stock is most likely stained birch. Most of the store brands so far have been birch.

Edit to ask questions for clarification:
Tech, Does your Tenite stock have two(2) screws holding the action in the stock?

Justibm, If you have had the action out fo the stock, does yours have a wire cartridge lifter (#33 in both pics) with a wierd looking spring (1st pic), or a solid lifter with a coiled spring around the pivot pin (2nd pic)?

#53 ·
Stevens 87B

New addition to my family
Manufacturer: Stevens Model 87B
Factory: Chicopee Falls
Barrel:patents: 2094577,2224758,2223093,RE22585,2271576.
".22 Short Long Or Long Rifle, Long Rifle Only As Automatic"
24" barrel
Bumper: spring type
Receiver & Sights: Stand post (gold bead) & rear sight.
Solid receiver. D&T'd for scope (4 holes), not grooved.
Flat plug, steel.
8 gills on left, one on right.
Charging Handle: Small Ribbed
Lifter: Solid. Coil spring.
Stock: Hardwood Buckhorn.
Trigger Guard: Formed Steel.
Mag: Tube fed, cartridge shaped port
Added Weaver N2 side mount and Weaver G4 scope.

This post has been deleted
#59 ·
Hi Hud105,

I made a minor revision to post #51 regarding the trigger assembly to my 87A. It's a Looooooong trigger assembly and not a short one as I had originally posted. Misunderstood the sub-topic and thought it was referring to the trigger itself versus the entire assembly. Thanks to the watchful eyes of rsv1mos, we've averted a boo-boo to the data base.

Thanks Technical Dir.
Are you saying I'm a big boo-boo....:D

I'm just trying to prove to Hud that someone is actually reading these summaries. ;)

Kidding aside, these responses are informative and valuable. I know they have helped many of us to better understand these innovative actions and the rifles they sit in. There was a time when I wouldn't even consider a "department store rifle", now I seek them out. :)

#61 ·
Adding notes on a 6D and a Sears clone 187 series A

Manufacturer Model: Savage Model 6D
Factory roll stamp: Savage Arms Corporation/ Chicopee Falls Mass. USA/.22 short, long or long rifle/ Model 6D
Barrel: 19.5 inch (hacksaw'd by PO). Only long rifle as automatic/ Inspection stamp (56) O
Bumper: Spring type
Patents: 2094577, 224758, 2223093, RE22585, 2271576 Upside down
Reciever and sights: Front sight missing (I cut a new dovetail and replaced with plastic, looking for good replacement), rear standard ramp, grooved receiver, no peep or mount holes, one piece clip-on extractor, flat metal plug, gills 8 left, 1 right
Charging handle: Small 3/8ths inch hour glass shape
Trigger: Long mechanism, blued trigger
Lifter: Thin bird beak with coil spring, holes for spring ends
Stock: Walnut, Monte Carlo, wide forearm, no checkering, had been refinished by PO
Trigger guard: Cast steel, inletted
Magazine: Tube, cartridge shaped loading port
Scope: Bushnell Sportview 4x15

Not sure this one belongs in the database, but it has gills and came from Springfield/Stevens, so here it is.
Manufacturer Model: Sears 2200 (Stevens Model 80 Series A/ Springfield Model 187 Series A)
Factory roll stamp: Semi Automatic .22 Cal LR Only/ Sears Roebuck and Co. No 101.548880 Made in USA
Barrel: 19.5 inch (factory), Inspection stamp (B4) J
(The B is 1950, which matches the Sears catalog date of 50-51)
Bumper: Flat spring, bent in a long narrow V. No solid block or coil spring
Patents: None
Receiver and sights: Front and rear standard, no bead, grooved receiver, no peep or mount holes, two standard extractors, tapered plastic plug, gills 2 left, 1 right. It has a SN D4838XX.
Charging handle: Original was square, curved plastic, now small 3/8ths hour glass (thanks rsv1mos!)
Trigger: Long mechanism, with blued extended trigger
Lifter: Thin bird beak with coil spring and slots, not holes for spring ends
Stock: Birch thin streamlined design, pressed checkering, brown poly finish. Might not be original, receiver did not fit inletting, set a full 1/8 inch above the flats and charging handle relief cuts.
Trigger guard: Molded plastic, no inlet
Magazine: Tube with long curved extension into lifter, cartridge shaped loading port, aluminum inner tube.
Safety: Side mount, not in the extended plug.
Scope: Bushnell ScopeChief 22 4x20

Top in each pic is the 6D, bottom is the Sears 2200/Springfield 187 Series A/Stevens 80 Series A

I tried to keep the front edge of the receivers lined up as a reference point.

Hope this helps more than confuses!

Bob

#64 · (Edited)
I kind of thought so, the lifter looks just like rsv1mos's 6DL.

I just realized that it does have a missing feature though. It doesn't have the forward bolt lock hole, only a single hole on the left side to lock the bolt to the rear. Guess Sears didn't want a single shot / semi-auto and had them drop the single shot hole.

Been making some measurements and I suspect that the long curved feed was to fix the problem we've seen of dropping rounds under the lift gate if it wears just a little bit. The curved feed holds the next round about an eighth inch higher (closer to the barrel) than the straight feed does. You do loose one round in the tube, since they went to a two inch long thin plastic follower instead of the 1 inch metal follower. Probably had to with the bend in the feed tube.

The flat spring bumper was probably a dollar decision, it should be cheaper than the lever and spring and much easier to install.

Added: While i had the Sears clone out of the stock, I did notice that the gills really seem to work. There's unfinished white wood where I've been working on the inletting, and it's blackened at the first gill on both sides, but almost nothing at the second gill on the left or the ejection port on the right. Guess it just wasn't that important when everyone changed to smokeless and less greasy ammo.

Bob

#65 ·
Yes, I would add a third :t'up to the Sear's 2200/Stevens 80, it sure does belong. Only problem (for me) is - it's not C&R qualified - (yet), so they would be pawn shop buys for me. I have given up paying transfer fees for internet buys.

Nice layout too, great action pictures. Thanks for taking the time. :t

#66 ·
Hi all. Vacationing with the family at Myrtle Beach this week. Internet access is hit and miss and very frustrating. Never thought I would miss Comcast high speed. I will add info from my 6a when I return. Do remember that mine was made in Chicopee Falls. Found one on-line stamped 6A made in Utica. Looks very similar to mine. Would post link but I know how some disapprove of posting live auctions. Great thread, looking forward to whatever conclusions are reached.

Rob

#69 ·
Hi all. Vacationing with the family at Myrtle Beach this week. Internet access is hit and miss and very frustrating. Never thought I would miss Comcast high speed. I will add info from my 6a when I return. Do remember that mine was made in Chicopee Falls. Found one on-line stamped 6A made in Utica. Looks very similar to mine. Would post link but I know how some disapprove of posting live auctions. Great thread, looking forward to whatever conclusions are reached.

Rob
Myrtle Beach, wife and I married there 54 years ago last week. Beautiful place.

#71 · (Edited)
This thread has now run for a whole week and we have amassed information on a whopping twenty-four rifles. Not a large number, but of a sufficient number to see trends in the evolution of these guns.

As everyone posted their information, I entered into the spreadsheet based on the number of patents and everything (for the most part) fell right into place.

We had ten guns manufactured at Utica. Eight with the single 2094577 patent, wire lifters and short trigger assemblies, with the exception of Sav22s' short only 602 with a solid lifter and long trigger and his 7S with a long trigger and magazine fed.
Two guns from Utica had the two patents (probably the change to the solid lifter): Sav22s' 6A and Justibms' Sears Ranger 101.16. I know that the store brands have no factory marking, but by the patents, most of the early ones fell in with the Utica guns with their wire lifters.
The early 6's had no gills. Gills on store brands was kind of hit & miss.
It appears that early Utica factory branded rifles had stocks of checkered walnut and the store brands plain birch. Out of the 24, there were only two Tenite stocks, both probably from Chicopee.
All guns from Utica were either Savage or store brand.

We had thirteen guns manufactured at Chicopee Falls starting with the 87As, Sav22s with a single patent and Mr. Picks with two patents. The rest all had all five patents and long triggers with solid lifters.
Somewhere in the middle of these, the charging handles changed from the large ¾" grooved or flat to a smaller ½' ribbed one and toward the end of the Chicopee guns there was a 3/8" hour glass handle on ShootsAtSky's Savage 6D.
All these guns had 8 gills (openings) on the left and 1 on the right.
I included Fixerupper's J.C. Higgins101.16 in this group because from what I can find, the Higgins brand was used from the late '40's to the early '60's, although if it was a late manufacture, it could have been a Westfield gun.
Also in this group is ShootsAtSky's Sears 2000, Cat. No. 101.548880 (Springfield 187A) with a 19 ½" barrel. This rifle is interesting in the fact that it has a grooved receiver, which some of us believed did not occur until around 1954.
According to ShootsAtSky's information, the barrel is stamped with a B4 corresponding to 1950 and confirmed by the '50-'51 catalog.
Last, but not least is rsv1mos' Savage 6DL as a Westfield gun with a 20" barrel.
These last two guns have only 2 gills on the left & 1 on the right.

One thing to remember is that these guns were produced over quite a long period in many variations including factory upgrades, and many parts will exchange between different models, so some may have been de-flowered during their long lives and less than original (as rsv1mos has found) .

Changes or additions are welcomed.

Anyone who is interested in the spreadsheet that can open 2003 Excel, PM me with your email add and I will send you back an email with the file attached.

Regards, Hud

Edit to add:
Pevious posts from another thread:
rsv1mos

This kind of went over like a lead ballon when I first posted it, but I'm persistent.

Background

Joshua Stevens started J. Stevens & Co. in 1864.

Arthur Savage started the Savage Arm's company in 1893.

Savage bought out Stevens in April 1920 and continued the Stevens brand.

"Springfield" rifles were made by Stevens in the Stevens Arms factory.

Evolution of the Stevens .22 caliber Automatic rifle in chronological order: (sort of)

Model 57 - Introduced in 1938 box magazine and "Buckhorn" fore stock
Model 057 - Same as model 57 but peep sight equipped

Model 76 - Introduced 1938 tube magazine, lubricated bullets, walnut stock w/hard rubber butt plate
Model 076 - Same as 76 but peep sight equipped

Model 87 - Introduced in 1938 same as model 76 but no walnut stock or buckhorn, change to steel buttplate
Model 087 - Same as 87 but peep sight equipped.

Model 872 - Introduced in 1940 marked Springfield .22 caliber short only.

Model 85 - Introduced in 1939 marked Springfield. Cheaper version of the Stevens model 87
Model 085 - Same as 85 but box magazine equipped

Evolution of the Savage .22 caliber Automatic rifle

Model 6 - Introduced in 1938 and discontinued in 1968. Used the same basic action as used in the Stevens model 87.
Model 6S - Same as model 6 but peep sight equipped.
Model 6D - Deluxe version of the model 6 with a walnut Monte Carlo stock
Model 6DL - Later version of the model 6D
Model 602 - Short only version of model 6 - Introduced 1940 discontinued 1946.
Model 7 - Box magazine model of the model 6. Introduced in 1939 Discontinued in 1947
Model 7S - Same as model 7 except equipped with a peep sight.

Early models used the large round knurled "pie plate" charging handle????
Year 1948? Changed to smaller ribbed charging handle??????
Year ________ Changed to "single clip-on extractors?????
Year 1940 Changed to different style lifter??????????
Other changes????????????????

Department store variations - Belknap, Coast to Coast, Gamble, Wards (Western Field), Sears (Ranger/JC Higgins) J.C. Penny, Cotter & Co., C.I.L., & Western Auto (Revelation).

Savage models used Walnut stocks exclusively, Springfield/Stevens and department store rifles used stained birch and possibly maple?????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I updated a bit to include the box magazine fed model 7 and 7S and the short only model 602. Other changes and updates welcomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by rsv1mos; 06-12-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Hud105

Factories:
Accroding to Kaintuck's excelent post in an above stickied thread:

Quote:
Marks on barrels may help too in the manufacture date~Utica NY until 1947, Chicopee Falls until 1960, Westfield after that.

Patents:
From research by various posters to these threads:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=nqNrAAAAEBAJ&dq=2223093Release Mechanism (Long)( same as RE22585, post '45)

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=xT5wAAAAEBAJ&dq=2224758 Release Mechanism (Short, solid lifter)

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=hvBGAAAAEBAJ&dq=2271576 Feed Mechanism

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=hRFPAAAAEBAJ&dq=2289621 Feed Mechanism (wire lifter)

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=2AtRAAAAEBAJ&dq=2290156 Gills

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=sBdlAAAAEBAJ&dq=2296242 Firearm

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=q9ZQAAAAEBAJ&dq=2320403 Feed Mechanism

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=ahIXAAAAEBAJ&dq=RE22585 Re-issue of 2223093 post 1945 guns

There are more patents listed here than will be found on these rifles as many overlap in their design.

Stocks:

Sav22 states:

Quote:
In the 1948 catalog the description also state a "checkered stock"(Walnut) . The 1948 catalog was 'new', for 1947 they just added an updated price list to their catalog No.72, it also will be found with a 1942 dated list. From the catalogs the checkered stocks seem to have ended by about 1949.

My Springfield 87A is post '45 (RE pat) & sports a checkered Walnut stock.

Of course, any logic in all of this could have gone right out the window when it comes to the store branded clones, as the factory would have probably provided any features the stores were willing to pay for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Hud105; 06-12-2010 at 01:51 PM.

#72 ·
So can we generally say:

1938/'39 - Gill-less, short trigger assembly, large 3/4" bolt handle.
1940/'50 - Eight gill's, long trigger assy, Large 3/4" bolt handle.
1950/?? - Two gills, long trigger assy, medium 1/2" bolt handle, Streamlined plug.
195?/?? - Two gills, "super" long trigger assy (SAS 2000 AKA Stevens 187) grooved, small bolt handle, streamllined plug.

Please correct the dates and question marks.

Seems most Savage stocks were walnut and Stevens & Dept. store rifles were birch.???

Can you convert to a PDF format?

#73 ·
1938/'39 - Gill-less, short trigger assembly, large 3/4" bolt handle.
No gills: 6's(no letter) & early Rangers (.11 & .13)
1940/'50 - Eight gill's, long trigger assy, Large 3/4" bolt handle.
Appears that the change to the long trigger & solid lifter occured at Utica with the two patent guns & the # of gills increased around the same time. (6A's & Ranger .16)
All the Utica guns were Savage or store brands.
195?/?? - Two gills, "super" long trigger assy (SAS 2000 AKA Stevens 187) grooved, small bolt handle, streamllined plug.
According to the info. that SAS provided, his gun dates to 1950 by the B4 barrel code & the '50-'51 catalog, which would make it a Chicopee gun.
All the Chicopee guns were Springfield, Stevens (starting with the 87A's), or store brand, with the exception of SAS' Savage 6D.
1950/?? - Two gills, long trigger assy, medium 1/2" bolt handle, Streamlined plug.
Your 6DL is the only confirmed Westfield gun, making it post '60, if the factory move dates are correct.
Seems most Savage stocks were walnut and Stevens & Dept. store rifles were birch.???
Correct.
According to a post (somewhere) by Sav22, factory branded guns with walnut stocks ended sometime in'49.

Putting solid dates on some of these is purely speculation.

Sorry, I can't do the pdf thing. SAS tried to talk me through how to post the spreadsheet, but being a member of the illeteratti I am having trouble doing so. I will graciously ask him if he would do that for the common good.

#74 ·
Appears that the change to the long trigger & solid lifter occured at Utica with the two patent guns & the # of gills increased around the same time. (6A's & Ranger .16)
All the Utica guns were Savage or store brands.
It appears that the switch was not a clean one, as my 101.16 has the long trigger, solid lifter, 8 & 1 gill arrangement and a single patent. It is of course quite possible that newer receivers were mated to barrels marked prior to the change during the transition period.