Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Best 17 hmr that won't tear-up small game meat

31K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  MacR 
#1 ·
I am looking for the best 17 HMR ammo to use on small game that will do the least amount of damage to the meat so it's not inedible. I realize .22 LR is a better choice in this regard but all my rim fires are 17 hmr. I would imagine a 20 grain hollow point would likely be best as opposed to a 17 grain polymer tipped round. What 17 cal round would you recommend for small game hunting like rabbits?

#3 ·
That would normally be the plan but in some circumstances may be difficult. From some of the ballistic video's I've seen the hollow point bullet explodes along with the best of them. I guess the hyper velocity of the hmr round precludes any mushrooming of the slug keeping it intact.

Does anyone make a low velocity high grain hollow point HMR round?

#4 ·
I've killed 100s of squirrels and many rabbits with Hornady 17 HMR V-Max, which is 17 gr. I almost always do head shots and when I goof and hit a shoulder, I still lose little meat. Now if you gut shoot them, it's a different story. Wait until the right shot presents itself.

#10 · (Edited)
Jaia

This appears to be what I'm looking for :bthumb:

I found this on youtube. The kid is shooting apples from an open window in his house but it shows the difference between a polymer tip which exploded the apple and the FMJ round which the bullet appears to have passed thru intact.

I'd like to see this round plugged into some ballistic gel but something tells me the round will stay in 1 peice.

youd da man! :beerchug:

.............. now if I can only find a 500 rd brick of these :(

#12 ·
I've had no trouble finding or purchasing any style of 17 hmr
The 20 gr jsp mushrooms cleanly, leaving an easily retrievable slug.
The polymer tips disintegrate leaving fragments everywhere.
I've never found a 20 gr fmj in a critter after shooting. In one side, out the other.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/cci-gamepoint-17-hmr-20-grain-jacketed-soft-point.html
Jaia

I found quite a few vendors carrying the CCI FMJ in 50 rd boxes but not 500 rd bricks but Glen's has it cheap enough where you can buy it at the same price as bulk. I found Hornady V-Max in bulk when getting any rim fire ammo was next to impossible now it appears the FMJ in lots of 500 are hard to find Thanks for coming thru again.

Russ :beerchug:

#13 ·
I got a brick of 500 rd's of CC soft point for from Glens for about $140 delivered

Next to a Hornady V-max

I was looking for any ballistic gel performance video's to see if or how the slug mushrooms and if it stays intact but had no luck. Maybe I'll conduct this test at some point it would be interesting to see how the different rounds perform.

So I take it the .17 FMJ is probably only useful for target or to punch thru a hard target. Other then minimizing pelts damage what's the point using a FMJ round in this caliber?

#15 ·
I got a brick of 500 rd's of CC soft point for from Glens for about $140 delivered

Next to a Hornady V-max

You're still gonna blow the snot out of bunnies with a body shot, go for the head.

I was looking for any ballistic gel performance video's to see if or how the slug mushrooms and if it stays intact but had no luck. Maybe I'll conduct this test at some point it would be interesting to see how the different rounds perform.

So I take it the .17 FMJ is probably only useful for target or to punch thru a hard target. Other then minimizing pelts damage what's the point using a FMJ round in this caliber?
FMJ for critter brain shots.

#16 ·
OK I have rounded out my Arsenal for Freedom adding 2 CCI FMJ's and A17 (black poly tip) to my inventory.

I had a hard time finding the FMJ's at a reasonable price and the cheapest I found was Shyda's Outdoor Center at $13.99 a box ( everyone else who had then in stock was ~$16-$17 a box)

I am very curious what I can drill thru with these FMJ's. From what I've seen on youtube is pretty impressive passing thru a 4x4 but all those guys were using hollow point or poly rounds not FMJ's.

#17 ·
Almost off topic but I have to comment. I was reading this thread and came across a reference to Glens Outdoors. I had purchased 300 rounds of the CCI 17hmr fmj many months ago. They were the only seller I could find that had any in stock. Great shopping experience. So today selected the link and did a search for some centerfire ammunition that I had been unable to find at a reasonable price. Got one variety at $15/box cheaper than I could find it any where else. Then got another variety at $10/box cheaper. Sure am glad I read Rimfire Central forums today.
Still haven't shot the 17 hmr fmj, my CZ 455 is so accurate with 22lr using Federal Auto Match I don't think I will ever touch the setup. At 35 yards 5 shots make a hole just slightly bigger than bullet diameter. I will buy another rifle before I swap barrels.

#18 ·
Best 17 hmr that won't tear up small game meat

Dear therussman:
I hit a grey squirrel in the shoulders with a round of Hornady 17 gr red point and lost that meat. I love squirrel! After more practice with which I got the best sight settings to 100 yards, I bought a fresh box of the same ammo which shot into 1.0" at point of aim at 100 yards and was very little above line of sight 25 yards through 75 yards.
Before saying more I should tell you that I began shooting with iron sights in 1949 and got my first squirrel before that year ended. I was hand-loading and shooting center-fires by 1954. Many years of competitive shooting of most kinds have elapsed until I gave it up 1990-2003.
I am shooting a Savage Stevens Favorite model 30R17 .17HMR with iron sights that weighs 4.25 lbs with a 21" octagonal barrel. It makes a light and lovely woods squirrel rifle for an old man who began shooting with it after open heart valve replacement in 2003 wanting a little fun, which it most certainly has been.
Out of my second box of Hornady 17gr red spitzers I got 48 squirrels in 50 shots. All were patiently head-shot from a supported position at ranges from 20-100 yards. The two misses were my own fault trying to shoot the mark from unsupported offhand in a blasting wind at only 25 yards and missing! That is pretty humiliating if you are me.
I have found that if I stick to my shooting methods carefully, it really doesn't matter what .17 HMR load I am using or what it costs given the average of one shot one kill. Squirrel has proven healthy food. I practice marksmanship with a .22 LR version of the same rifle which has been good on squirrels, and with a CZ Ultra Lux- all from supported positions with the utmost concentration. My eyesight is still good at 75+ and the ferocious degree of perception that once won me the nickname "Squirrel Dog" is still with me. I have no dislike of scopes, just don't need them yet. I use a 12X monocular for aiding search sometimes.
Russman, study marksmanship with joy and zest until you can nail a target paster at 100 yards every shot from a supported position. When you can do that, you will be at home hunting small game with the .17 HMR. I wish you the best of luck in this quest.
Respectfully Yours,
William Harper

'

#20 ·
I recently got a CZ 457 American in 17hmr. I tried the CCI gamepoints on gray squirrels. Some were fine and some were a little blown up. Grouped 6 different types of ammunition. The gamepoints were very accurate. CCI fmj were also very accurate. Tried the fmj the next day on squirrels. Much better results. Although a body hit could be ugly it was much less than the gamepoints. Shot 6 squirrels both mornings. Could have shot more but after 6 cleaning them stops being fun. Did notice some tiny fragments in the wound area from the gamepoints. I will be hunting with the fmj's in the future. The 17hmr is quite powerful for squirrels but the added range relative to a 22lr is great.

#23 ·
Best 17HMR For Squirrels

I have had great success with the CCI 20gr FMJ. The notion that the FMJ is like an icepick hasn't been what I have observed from actually shooting squirrels. The CCI 20gr Gamepoints are a little rough if very close. A bad hit from the FMJ will blow off a front leg or gut one. The FMJ impact makes a pop you can hear and will practically throw them out of a tree. Same with the game points except a bad hit will nearly blow a squirrel in half. Gamepoint head shots are pretty nasty also. I use a carrier originally made for ducks and sling each behind the front legs. The FMJs usually make a mess of the off side of the head. If the point is to eat what you shoot any of the polymer tipped ammo would be way to rough. The great thing about the 17HMR for me is the increased range. Sighted in dead on at 50 yards, appx. 1/2" low at 25 yards. At 75 yards still dead on. A 10th of an inch high between 50 and 75. Shooting just behind front legs also works great. Extremely lethal and you miss both front legs. A little low, doesn't matter, dead on perfect. I do use an adjustable parallax scope but haven't noticed it making a big difference so far. As always your mileage may vary.

Sadly the ship has sailed on buying 17HMR FMJ. If you can find any now a single box of 50 is what a case of 500 cost back in 2019. Ammoseek lists 20gr at $1.20/round. Last time I bought 17HMR 500 rounds cost about $75.

#24 ·
The HMR can make a mess out of a squirrel regardless of the load. Lately have been using the Federal 17 gr TNT and it works as well as anything. Less meat destruction than the poly tip, about like 20 grain in that regard. Main reason I prefer the load is accuracy. Like match ammo out of my Tikka. Always under half inch (@50), usually more like quarter inch. My CZ 452 also prefers the TNT, good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.