Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:26 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Another One Followed Me Home

63-5. Hogue grips on the way. If anyone has suggestions on improving the DA trigger pull I am all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_683.jpeg (129.9 KB, 339 views)
Old 06-28-2019, 04:10 AM
Gabby-Bill
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it is new or lightly used put some fired cases or snap caps in it and sit down with it in front of the TV and wear out your fingers dry firing it, keep this up for several evenings then clean and lube it and then see how much better it is. Don't go and put a light spring or back off the tension if it still has a leaf spring with an adjusting screw, (generally in the front grip strap). That can lead to failure to fire problems.

If you MUST back it off do it by increments until you get an FTF, then crank it back a couple of turns or till it stops miss firing, then leave it alone! Generally the FTF will be more likely to happen when firing double action as the hammer doesn't go all the way back as it will fired single action. So be sure to test it DA, to be sure it will fire every time that way. Also use several brands as they don't all use the same primers, and some are harder than others.
Alternatively you can spend a bunch of money paying a gun smith to do basically the same thing. Doing it this way wears the moving parts against one another like breaking in your engine in a new car. As time goes on with more shooting the trigger will just keep on getting better until you can no longer detect a difference. Light isn't everything, smooth and crisp let off makes a great difference, and accuracy will prove it!
Some others may turn you on to after market lighter springs, that I don't know of. Be my guest it's your money. Nice looking revolver!
Gabby

Last edited by Gabby-Bill; 06-28-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:09 AM
kidneyboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby-Bill View Post
If it is new or lightly used put some fired cases or snap caps in it and sit down with it in front of the TV and wear out your fingers dry firing it, keep this up for several evenings then clean and lube it and then see how much better it is. Don't go and put a light spring or back off the tension if it still has a leaf spring with an adjusting screw, (generally in the front grip strap). That can lead to failure to fire problems.

. Doing it this way wears the moving parts against one another like breaking in your engine in a new car. As time goes on with more shooting the trigger will just keep on getting better until you can no longer detect a difference. Light isn't everything, smooth and crisp let off makes a great difference, and accuracy will prove it!

Gabby
^^^^^^^
Good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 07:07 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
A Wolff spring kit, a little polishing, don't use the lightest rebound spring.

https://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers...SON/J%20FRAME/
Old 06-28-2019, 07:56 AM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
A Wolff spring kit, a little polishing, don't use the lightest rebound spring.

https://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers...SON/J%20FRAME/
Thanks Gerald. Spring kit is on the way.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:19 AM
Gabby-Bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The reason I'm so careful about the light strikes, I was partnered with a guy that had backed his tension screw off to relieve the pressure so he could shoot faster DA. He gave me some dummy practice ammo with fired primers, you see where this is going?
I was teaching my ex wife how to shoot and I had a S&W M-19 and my spring was full strength I was in the process of demonstrating that she fire all the chambers of the dummy ammo in a safe direction, before doing her exercises. I had the gun pointed at the floor. You guessed it BLAM right thru the floor of the mobile home we were living in.
You could say she got the message! Scared the crap out of all of us!
The exercise was to draw and fire at a light switch, that bullet would have traveled all the way thru those flimsy 2" thick hollow partitions like nothing.
Never had another incident, and I really laid it on my partner about mixing light strikes in with his dummy rounds. What he should have done was drill a hole in the cases of his dummies when he put them together, and this wouldn't have happened.
Gabby
Old 06-29-2019, 06:07 AM
DS-10-SPEED
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put in a 13 lb rebound spring, left the hammer spring stock and added Altamont grips to mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63_3.jpg (194.5 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg 63_4.jpg (198.7 KB, 273 views)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I ended up leaving the mainspring alone also. I followed Gerald's advice and installed the middle strength rebound spring (14 lb). Single action pull is now a nice 2.5 lbs. Double action is off the scale on my Wheeler Engineering trigger pull scale. Hesitant to try a reduced power mainspring. I don't want to go any lighter on the SA pull. I guess I will have to accept that expecting a K-frame DA pull is not realistic for a J-frame. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:00 PM
Big-Dummy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I ended up leaving the mainspring alone also. I followed Gerald's advice and installed the middle strength rebound spring (14 lb). Single action pull is now a nice 2.5 lbs. Double action is off the scale on my Wheeler Engineering trigger pull scale. Hesitant to try a reduced power mainspring. I don't want to go any lighter on the SA pull. I guess I will have to accept that expecting a K-frame DA pull is not realistic for a J-frame. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:

If you MUST back it off do it by increments until you get an FTF, then crank it back a couple of turns or till it stops miss firing, then leave it alone! Generally the FTF will be more likely to happen when firing double action as the hammer doesn't go all the way back as it will fired single action. So be sure to test it DA, to be sure it will fire every time that way. Also use several brands as they don't all use the same primers, and some are harder than others.
Alternatively you can spend a bunch of money paying a gun smith to do basically the same thing. Doing it this way wears the moving parts against one another like breaking in your engine in a new car. As time goes on with more shooting the trigger will just keep on getting better until you can no longer detect a difference. Light isn't everything, smooth and crisp let off makes a great difference, and accuracy will prove it!
Some others may turn you on to after market lighter springs, that I don't know of. Be my guest it's your money. Nice looking revolver!
Gabby
J frames have a coil spring.The other frame sizes use a leaf spring.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:12 AM
DS-10-SPEED

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I think you all might find this informative. I looked it up to see which hammer spring was in OP's revolver. Sure enough they show the flat leaf screw adjustable spring. Take a look.
Gabby

http://www.vivasandson.com/m65-3.pdf
You have a picture of a 65-3 not a 63-5.

Here is my 63-5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63_5.jpg (150.0 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by DS-10-SPEED; 06-30-2019 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 06-30-2019, 11:43 AM
TT92
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I used a Wilson spring kit in my J-Frame 642 to reduce DA trigger pull from about 100 pounds down to about 8.5 pounds. (Just kidding about the 100 pounds, but it was awful). I still get 100% ignition, even with hard CCI primers. And the gun is so much easier to shoot.

Recognizing this was in a 38 Special and not a rimfire. But the kit should be the same. It includes three trigger rebound springs and a reduced power hammer spring.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Custom-...oductinfo/321/
Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 PM
22-Rimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are certainly nice little 22 revolvers. I have both the 3" and 5".
Old 07-03-2019, 05:37 AM
Gabby-Bill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-10-SPEED View Post
You have a picture of a 65-3 not a 63-5.

Here is my 63-5.
Thanks I transposed the numbers, that's never happened before, I just don't understand it.
LOL
Gabby
Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Mike_AK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sent the Kit Gun back to S&W for warranty repair (hopefully replacement). I was cleaning around the forcing cone with a nylon brush and noticed chunks of metal missing from the frame and what looks like more getting ready to. I think it is a bad forging.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_68e.jpg (187.6 KB, 2 views)