Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

17gr TNT, your experience with expansion.

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dgeesaman 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been finding that both mine and my girlfriend's rifles both shoot the TNT bullets more accurately than the plastic tipped ones. We've shot bricks and bricks of both so we have a pretty good sampling. Any how I know all non-winchester ammo is rebranded CCI so I'll address the bullet types only. I have limited hunting experience with the 17 hmr and I'm considering bringing them on Prarie dog trip to supplement our 223s at closer ranges. I'm particularly interested in the ranges the TNT still grenade inside the critter. What is your hunting experience with them at longer ranges?Say 150 yards give or take

#3 ·
I took both ammo types on a prairie dog hunt last year and killed about 100+ dogs, roughly half with TNT and half with V-Max. At the range the TNT was slightly more accurate, but there was no noticeable difference on my hunt. Both had great terminal performance out to 125 yds. The dogs dropped on the spot with solid hits. I don't shoot the 17HMR at 150+ yd dogs because my .223 and .204 are much more reliable and I miss too often with the HMR at longer distance, wind being a constant factor on the prairie. When the wind comes up I can still hit dogs with the HMR at shorter distances, (75-100 yds) depending wind characteristics and direction, but not at longer ranges.
By the way, I just returned from a hunt where I killed 201 dogs, 150 of them with 17HMR 17gr V-Max. I'm shooting 2 HMR rifles, an Anschutz 1517MPR and a Sako FinnFire II. I had shoulder surgery last year, so shooting with the HMR is preferable to rifles with stronger recoil. Consequently I tend to push the HMR to it's limits rather than bear the recoil.

#4 ·
17gr TNT, your experienc

Thanks, excellent information. I think 150 yards is probably my limit in very light winds with a hmr. I got a crow at 167 and a woodchuck at 150 - 160. Neither showed great ballistic effects. Mean both animals did not die instantly. Since then I've had my doubts about hmr at those ranges. Even if I can hit it at 150+ you don't get the same explosive effects you get under 100. I just figured bringing the 17s would be a fun way to give the 223s a break.

#7 ·
The 17 wsm l and two others were using was the Volquartsen, but another in our group had a new B-mag in a Boyds stock. I know what your going to say or think “B-mag”, while not being the best looking gun in the world (cough) it performed flawlessly and the owner just raved how pleasantly surprised he was.

Now I’m not suggesting you should go out get one, but it is a bolt action option. I was hoping and hoping CZ would come out with one, but l was afraid l wouldn’t live that long.:rolleyes::)

Wonderdog1 :bthumb:

#8 ·
FWIW I find the effect of the HMR on Prairie Dogs past @ 125 yards to be far less than impressive. At distances of more than @ 125 yards they hump up and crawl off. Overall, even at distances less than 125 yards I much prefer the satisfaction of the results from a .22-250 or .204 Ruger. In other words, even though the HMR may be effective at 125 yards and less the results of center fires is far more fun to observe!

#9 ·
By the way, SWFA currently has a sale on CCI TNT 17HMR for $7.33 per 50. I. ordered 2 bricks and some other ammo for $9.99 shipping. The final price including shipping comes to about $7.75. Was in Cabela's on Monday and found the same ammo for $16.99 + tax brings it to about $19.00. Not surprisingly it remained on the shelf. They can't possibly compete with those prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.