Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

WalMart 17hmr ammunition is second quality?

15K views 41 replies 32 participants last post by  DRob 
#1 ·
Gents of the forum.
I went to a local gun store today ( first time there) I asked if they had 17hmr on hand. He brought Hornady 17hmr 17grn vmax the price for a box of 50 is $17.80.
He then asked how many boxes I needed? I told him that I thought his price was pretty high since I can get the same at Wally World for $11.50 per box.

He became pretty flustered and angry with my comment about Wally World pricing of 17hmr .
He said the ammo at Wally World wasn't the same and they sold floor swept up 17hmr that is why the 17hmr is cheaper. The 17hmr he sold was factory first with better quality control.

Your thoughts please. Is there any truth to this ?

#4 ·
That is absolute nonsense. Run from that guy as quickly as you can. I just bought a brick of that very same ammo for $95 at a gun show. That Walmart price is not bad for retail, but I haven't paid even that much...well, ever. My local Cabela's is $13.95 per 50. If that gun store guy is selling it for that hefty price he must think people are stupid or desperate.

#5 ·
Gents
I thought this guy's head was going to pop , his face became red trying to tell me of the difference.
I left the Krol oil and 45cal cleaning brush on the counter and left. As I was leaving , he said hey did you want to purchase these?
Lol, told him I was going to Walmart. I didn't turn around to see his reaction , but I think he was fuming.

This post has been deleted
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Their Yelp listing rates affordability as $$$$ and the reviews echo that.

Midsouthshooterssupply.com was offering Hornady 17gr V-Max for $8.59 a box/50 for a looong time but now they're up to $9.99. If you buy a brick of 500 rounds it drops to $9.59/box. A case of 2000 rounds works out to $9/box but you pay shipping on top of your purchase. Their price on CCI is up there at $11.05 fot V-Max or TNT.

#15 · (Edited)
Your thoughts please. Is there any truth to this ?
First thought is I would not go back to that place. As much as I want to support local gun businesses I have to say I've gotten some really bad service and poor advice from the ones in my area. I would often get gun counter self appointed expertise that wasn't even solicited and often ignorant. My favorite local gun store owner passed away and now I'm stuck with online or big box stores. The local ones just don't cut it. If you have a good local gun store with quality people and fair prices let them know how appreciated and rare they are these days.

#30 · (Edited)
That dealer would be way better off just admitting he cannot buy ammo as cheap at Walmart and he keeps ammo in stock for his customers. If he didn't price it outlandishly high many a loyal customer would buy some ammo from him.

In the old days I have shops with low prices on guns and good profit margins on ammo and accories, another shop might do the opposite. As a poor teen I would shop both of course buying the better deals appropriately.

I have two country shops near me, the ammo is of course higher than Walmart and the net. I buy a little. One shop I cannot touch his prices, nice guy but he prices for the internet world not local. I don't blame him but the gems never are even offered locally, they get sold online for more than the local market bears. The chipped up or modified and devalued old guns get put out on the shelf. I saw a single shot recently there but the gun was a total gunsmith rework with mismatched replacement parts for 100% book value.

#18 ·
Didn't it occur to you that you were rude?
He's a business man fighting to stay alive. WalMart has put many many thousands of small businesses OOB.
Why rub his face in it?
A good gun shop is where you go for advice and things WM doesn't sell.

Has anyone ever told you your wife is ugly and you could have gotten a better one if you'd only shopped around more??? :)

#33 ·
lol :D
I'm sure the cartridge machines at all the rimfire manufacturers are so screwed up that they spew hundreds of rounds of ammo on the floor, and their business model depends on someone sweeping up those loose rounds, then hand-packing them into new boxes in order to make a profit.
I knew a guy whose friend's friend of a girl worked at Remington and..... err, never mind. :angel:

#19 · (Edited)
Your thoughts please.
I would have taken the boxes, put them back on the shelf and said something along the lines of "well, I guess you should spend your dollar vote with that big mega-corporation you're always complaining is putting local shops out of business. Anything else I can help you with?"

Lol, told him I was going to Walmart. I didn't turn around to see his reaction , but I think he was fuming.
I'll never enter AR bunker in Newnan , Ga again.
This is 'murica. :bthumb: :F :bthumb: You're free to spend your dollar vote anywhere you want to spend it but please, oh please, don't be a hypocrite and start posting into a Walmart bashing thread here at RFC. :p

#21 ·
pure B/S !

he is so full of it his eyeballs are brown ! I have found making comments like this to a business owner never ends positive. don't tell him how much it is at WW, just go there and buy it, it is a free economy. maybe his other customers do not know the price at WW !!

#28 ·
he is so full of it his eyeballs are brown ! I have found making comments like this to a business owner never ends positive. don't tell him how much it is at WW, just go there and buy it, it is a free economy. maybe his other customers do not know the price at WW !!
Telling lies to make a sale , plus extremely over priced , now that's where I want go.
Bring your knee pads if you and some others want to go there.
I won't !

#23 ·
Wow!

Apparently, I'm fortunate to have several LGS's within 25mi from me. I have long
known which are too high priced and which are competitive. The one I frequent
most is a little higher than Wally World, but they weren't selling to the hoarders
when everything was tight, either. They also know their guns and business, and
don't give a person some "song & dance". Their selection of RF is much, much
more impressive than WW's as well. They gained my patronage a long time ago.

#24 ·
Apparently, I'm fortunate to have several LGS's within 25mi from me. I have long
known which are too high priced and which are competitive. The one I frequent
most is a little higher than Wally World, but they weren't selling to the hoarders
when everything was tight, either. They also know their guns and business, and
don't give a person some "song & dance". Their selection of RF is much, much
more impressive than WW's as well. They gained my patronage a long time ago.
Amen!

#26 ·
My favorite local gun shop isn't so local but is still my favorite. They are about a 45 min drive but are in a class way above all others near me. If I want to try a new gun I think I might like I call and ask to reserve a lane and ask to rent the model gun I am interested in. They will hold the gun for 24 hrs. no questions asked. Prices are competitive and service is second to none. You walk in and sign in at the kiosk and see where you are in line on the big screen. You can then browse till your name is called. Probably good they aren't a 5 min. drive.:rolleyes:

#31 ·
I'm sure the cartridge machines at all the rimfire manufacturers are so screwed up that they spew hundreds of rounds of ammo on the floor, and their business model depends on someone sweeping up those loose rounds, then hand-packing them into new boxes in order to make a profit.

#32 ·
Baloney

I'm not a big fan of WalMart but I think the idea that they sell "seconds" is BS. When you buy so much that you can dictate the wholesale price, you can sell the same product for less. They don't buy anything by the truck load. More like the train or ship load. Manufacturers have gone under via that business model and it's nothing new. Sears allegedly did it to Tecumseh engines decades ago. Cut the price or cancel our order. Tecumseh can't afford to cut the price, Sears cancels their contract, and Tecumseh goes under. Sears then buys the company at bankruptcy price and continues making "Tecumseh" engines.

#40 · (Edited)
It really depends on the item.

Oil filters, box ammo, fishing rods, etc I don't think they have special models, just special wholesale costs. Wal-Mart will use their market presence to pressure suppliers to lower their sale price into negative margins. Like to Mobil1: "If you don't sell us jugs at $15/gallon, watch your sales volume drop in half and watch Pennzoil double, because we're not giving two suppliers this opportunity".

In the electronics world and tires they seem to move much higher volumes, and so the suppliers cue up a special version of the product. Just to make it a little cheaper, maybe to avoid being attacked by their other retailers for having Wal-mart undercutting everyone.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.