Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

5 shot group

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  BWstickman 
#1 ·
Shot this group with my CZ 452 at 50 yards with Hornady 17gr VMAX ammo... not bad I can live with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm late to the 17hmr party having adopted the Mach 2 first. Now I have 3 of them. I've come to appreciate the 17hmr as the most efficient and accurate rimfire round on the market. Not even the WSM can dethrone it! It's not however as graceful as the 17 mach 2 and it definitely hurts my ears more. rc

#4 ·
I like the m2 better than the hmr. Imo the WSM will overtake the hmr in the future also. Initially especially the m2 was half the price to shoot. Sounds like it hit $7 a box again recently. The WSM is maybe a $1 more a box and you are getting a lot more performance for a buck. Both perform better ime for the $. Ruger just started making the 77/17WSM again I heard. VQ Custom, Franklin Armory, and Jard are making semi-autos. It may take time but I think the hmr will take a back seat. It has for me.

#5 ·
Perhaps but I don't think so. I think the easy swap for gun markers between 22 mag and 17hmr makes producing guns in both calibers easier than having one design in 22 mag and a completely different gun in 17wsm. If I'm getting a wsm, I'm going to skip it and get a 17 hornet which is even flatter shooting. Right now I'm killing squirrels about as far as I practically can with the hmr and the noise is annoying. I honestly don't want another rimfire caliber to stock ammo for. With the CA mail order ammo ban, reloading the 17 hornet again makes more sense for me. 17 hmr will continue to have the lions share of the 17 rimfire market in my opinion. Now if they come out with a 25 magnum to go in the same designs as the 17wsm maybe my opinion would change. Imagine 60 grain bullets at 2500fps:)

#12 · (Edited)
Good shooting BW. Have you tried other fodder such as TNT yet?
Now if they come out with a 25 magnum to go in the same designs as the 17wsm maybe my opinion would change. Imagine 60 grain bullets at 2500fps:)
My 223 can do that, but with even faster fps. ;) You see where I'm going if I follow your train of reasoning eh?
Groups are ok, but dots are better.
Hit what you aim at is the challenge.
I prefer cold bore shooting, as my main purpose for rf and cf 'blowing smoke' :rolleyes: is hunting. That said I reluctantly agree with what you are saying Jala. :eek::D

Al the obtuse geezer

#7 ·
17hmr brass different from 22lr?

It's been a very cold wet year here in Michigan. My shooting buddy just came over & we shot at my range just outside the door & as we don't pick up our brass we have a couple years worth planted but it just doesn't grow. I was looking the the 17hmr we shot a week ago & it's all very dark almost black where the 22 is still shiny brass & just a little dull from a long time ago. Does anyone know if 17hmr brass is differnt material than 22lr? Had a blast even if it was cold windy & wet. I have a S&W 422 my buddy had never shot & it a cowbell at 85 yards 2nd shot. Thanks in advance!

#10 ·
It's been a very cold wet year here in Michigan. My shooting buddy just came over & we shot at my range just outside the door & as we don't pick up our brass we have a couple years worth planted but it just doesn't grow. I was looking the the 17hmr we shot a week ago & it's all very dark almost black where the 22 is still shiny brass & just a little dull from a long time ago. Does anyone know if 17hmr brass is differnt material than 22lr? Had a blast even if it was cold windy & wet. I have a S&W 422 my buddy had never shot & it a cowbell at 85 yards 2nd shot. Thanks in advance!
I noted the same dull appearance of my Hornady 17HMR ammo. I took a piece of paper towel and wiped the case and bullet and noted a dark substance being removed. I "assume" this is a lubricant used during manufacture. I have since cleaned my 17HMR ammo before use and see the cases are bright and shiny and the plastic tips on the bullets to have a more vivid color.

#9 ·
Thanks for the target jaia. I have been shooting a lot of 1 or 2 shot groups lately. As you say, its better to hit the target (and know exactly where each shot lands) than to get a good group. Most of my shooting is practice for squirrel season where you only get one shot. This target will come in handy.

#16 ·
I've had 3 HMRs and only one Mach2. I really like both,,the Mach2 for squirrels and the HMR for prairie dogs. My Anschutz 1517MPR is the most accurate rimfire I own, followed closely by my Sako FinnFire II, and almost as accurate is my Anschutz 1502 17ach2. Had a Ruger 77/17 but dumped it because the accuracy went south when it heated up. To our OP, nice grouping and thanks for sharing. I agree the 17HMR is a hellava round. As to the 17HMR losing popularity, not a chance. Now our OP will have to fight urges to buy other HMRs. I've owned 3 and retain two. I'm looking for another, a Cooper single shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.