2014 Ultimate 10-22 Second Place: "Slade Special Safari Grade" by Markbo - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:23 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
2014 Ultimate 10-22 Second Place: "Slade Special Safari Grade" by Markbo

2014 Ultimate 10-22 Second Place: "Slade Special Safari Grade":

Rifle Name--------------------------Owner---------------Builder

"Slade Special Safari Grade"------Markbo--------------Markbo

Build Specifications for "Slade Special Safari Grade" by Markbo

Builder: Markbo. All work was done by me unless otherwise noted
Owner: Markbo

Components:
Volquartsen Superlight Aluminum receiver
Volquartsen bolt group
Ruger Factory Trigger group. Full trigger job at 3.5lbs. Standard curved trigger.
GM 20” Blued Octagon Sporter Taper barrel
Homemade magazine Release
Bushnell 3x9 scope in Weaver rings on Volquartsen base
Exhibition grade Claro Walnut from a blank

Build:
The action is pillar bedded; barrel free floating with my designed barrel pad just in front the barrel block. The trigger is a stock Ruger unit completely tweaked & polished for a smooth pull and sharp break, n o t the lightest break I could obtain. It is a hunting rifle, not a bench rifle. It is a solid .400” - .500” @ 50 yard shooter with several types of hunting loads, CCI Mini Mag being very reliable. It is actually has shot many .3xx” groups with match/subsonic ammo, but again this is a hunting gun and that is what I use in it. I do not have any pictures of targets as my shooting data is all several years old and never saw the need at the time of the build to take any.

The stock started life as a blank and had to be inletted, carved and finished. As far as I have personally seen it is one of the prettiest pieces of wood ever used in a 10/22 build. The stock was finished with Ebony grip cap, forend cap and a rubber buttstock pad. I decided against an Ebony spacer there because the length of pull was perfect at 14 ¼”. It is very difficult to see in any pictures but it has a palm swell for my hand and is very slightly shallower on the right side of top/back of the trigger guard for my shooting finger knuckle to clear/rest into. It is truly custom built to me.

After all wood work was done it was completely prepped & finished in automotive Root Beer Candy & clear by Tuck. I also had him paint the receiver, scope base, trigger group, barrel and scope (all metal surfaces except bolt and scope rings) with automotive paint in Midnight Black. I told him I wanted the blackest black he could find.

Except as noted everything was done by me personally. The only power tool used on this build was a router for the action area and a Dremel. No lathe, no mill, not even a drill press were used otherwise. ..With all due respect to the incredibly talented Tuck, no professional gunsmith, machinist or stock maker, etc touched this build. I am a tinkerer, not a professional. For that reason alone I am extremely proud of how it turned out.

Photos. These are all the pics of I have of this build:

What looks like imperfections or marks at the bottom of the stock is reflection of the grass it is sitting near.

What looks like chalk or some other white lines on the barrel here is actually reflection of the background.

Link to the BUILD THREAD:

CLICK HERE

Old 01-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Thank you good Doctor and congratulations again to the other contestants. Any questions, comments & inquiries are all welcomed.

Mark
Old 01-04-2015, 04:22 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Mark- I've had 2 questions gnawing at me for a while.
It's always been my practice to run medium to low height magazine releases on my hunting/carry rifles, just because I'm clumsy and hasty enough to bump a longer release lever and lose a magazine in the field.

1) Just wondering about the details- what did you make that one from, and is there a reason you chose that length?

2) In the build specs you mentioned that you MADE The magazine?
Details of how? Pics?

Beautiful rifle, Mark. I won't get all biblical about coveting, but I'd love to have a sporter like that, but in .22-250

DrGunner

Old 01-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
2. Nope...made the magazine release

1. I used a take off recoil pin. I like mine a bit longer so I dont miss it if Im in a hurry. People ask a lot but I have never lost a magazine or even had an accidental drop

Thou art forgiven.
Closed Thread