2014 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Final Vote - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
View Poll Results: Which rifle is the 2014 Ultimate 10-22 of the Year?
"No Regret" by doclu60 46 17.36%
"First 10-22 Build" by candyx 112 42.26%
"Slade Special Safari Grade" by Markbo 107 40.38%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 AM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
2014 Ultimate 10-22 Contest Final Vote

The Time has come. We had SIX builds submitted. The members have spoken- 56 members voted. I will now post a poll for the final vote between the TOP THREE contestant rifles.

The final vote will be in blind poll form, held from 12/16-12/30.

There will be NO material prizes. Winners secure bragging rights and may choose to display a contest badge on their profile.

The Three finalists will be voted on for entry into the RFC Ultimate 10-22 Hall of Fame.

ELIGIBILITY

MEMBERS- PAST, PRESENT, ACTIVE, INACTIVE, or PASSED AWAY, are ALL ELIGIBLE.
RIFLES that are BUILT BY MEMBERS and sold to NON MEMBERS are ELIGIBLE for the BUILDER to receive prizes.
RIFLES built by NON MEMBERS and bought by MEMBERS are ELIGIBLE.

ALL RULES REGARDING MEMBER STATUS APPLY.

THE THREE CHOICES ARE:

NO REGRET:

Rifle Name-----------------------Owner-----------------Builder

"No Regret"----------------------doclu60---------------doclu60

Build Specifications:

Kidd Classic recv'r 10moa with rear tang, threaded by Randy @ CPC
Benchmark barrel blank, slugged, cut, crowned, chambered, finished OD, threaded for above recv'r, and installed by Randy @ CPC. .920od x 19" long.
DIY modified Kidd v-block, clearanced for barrel and red Permatexed with modified block screws for extra bedding area
Kidd silver scallop bolt
Kidd charging assembly with subsonic spring
Kidd bolt buffer
Kidd 2-stage silver trigger, 3/5oz with flat black blade
DIY T-Rex stock, slightly modified with brass front pillar and three part bedding
Weaver T-36 scope in satin nickle Warne Maxima Med QD rings
Weight- a dainty 10-1/2lbs (with sun shade and caps on the T-36)

Link to the BUILD THREAD:

CLICK HERE

FIRST 10-22 BUILD:

Rifle Name---------------------Owner---------------Builder

"First 10-22 Build"------------candyx--------------candyx

Build Specifications:

***DIY SCRATCH BUILT RECEIVER, CHARGING HANDLE, ADJUSTABLE COMB, ADJUSTABLE BUTT PAD, GRIP CAP AND STOCK TIP.

RICHARDS MICROFIT PRONE STYLE-TARGET CULBERTSON GRAY LAMINATE ROUGH BLANK
STAINLESS STEEL RECEIVER WITH INTERGRAL PICATINNY RAIL/ CUSTOM MADE
KIDD 22LR FLUTED STAINLESS STEEL RIFLE BULL BARREL 20"/ BREACH AND MUZZLE THREADED/BENTZ CHAMBERED
KIDD BOLT MATTE BLACK
KIDD CHARGING ASSEMBLY
KIDD 2 STAGE TRIGGER 1.5 LB PULL / EXTENDED MAGAZINE RELEASE LEVER
WEAVER SCOPE CLASSIC T SERIES 36X40 1/8 MOA DOT
WARNE MAXIME QUICK DETACH RINGS
CHAMPION SHOOTERS ANSCHUTZ RAIL / HARRIS BIPOD ADAPTER
HARRIS BIPOD
STOCK POSITIONING SYSTEM ADJUSTABLE LOP BUTT PLATE
ADJUSTABLE CHEEK PIECE STAINLESS STEEL/ALUMINUM CUSTOM MADE
ALUMINUM FORARM AND GRIP CAP CUSTOM MADE

CLICK HERE

"Slade Special Safari Grade"

Rifle Name--------------------------Owner---------------Builder

"Slade Special Safari Grade"------Markbo--------------Markbo

Build Specifications:
Volquartsen Superlight Aluminum receiver & bolt group (remember this was pre Kidd)
Ruger Factory Trigger group. Full trigger job at 4lbs. Note standard curved trigger.
GM 20” Blued Octagon Sporter Taper barrel
Homemade magazine
Bushnell 3x9 scope in Weaver rings on Volquartsen base
The action is pillar bedded; barrel free floating with my barrel pad just in front the barrel block. It is a solid ” shooter with CCI Mini Mag – which is all the accuracy I was trying for. I also had Tuck paint the receiver, scope base, trigger group, barrel and even the scope (all metal surfaces except bolt) with automotive paint in Midnight Black. I told him I wanted the blackest black he could find. I think he did just fine.

CLICK HERE

When casting your vote, choose the rifle that YOU think should win.
Below are the characteristics that represent what an "Ultimate" consists of, but it's up to the individual voting member to decide how much emphasis to place on each of the areas, and choose the build that suits your individual taste.

Voting SHOULD be based on the following

Ultimate Build Characteristics:

Originality: Is there anything unique/different about the build?

Material Quality: Simple- what components and materials- Fit & Finish.

Execution: Does it function? Is it thrown together, or did the builder pay attention to detail, such as paint/polish/customization/ergonomic adaptation.

Accuracy: MOA to 50 for scoped rigs as a minimum, and either 2 or 3 MOA to 25 or 50 for iron sight rigs as a minimum.

Artistic Impression: that overall X factor that makes a rifle cool-

GOOD LUCK TO THE CONTESTANTS!!!

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 12-30-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:38 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Only No Regret has target photos. Are there targets for the others?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBob View Post
Only No Regret has target photos. Are there targets for the others?
Not entirely sure. I know candyx just finished his and has some groups posted in his build thread, but he's still working on machining a custom top for his rest and honing his skills at BR shooting as weather permits. Markbo's rifle has been around a long time, and actually predates the practice of posting "build threads". Perhaps he has one or can shoot one to post during the voting- there is no rule against doing that, so there would be no real grounds for contestants to call "foul".
doclu60's rifle is the only one qualified in the games, both Tack Driver and 1/4" @ 25 yards.

All that considered, and considering past contests, it would not be unusual to see a rifle win without a target- it has happened before.

My rifle "Fat Boy" had an extensive target folder when it was nominated last year and took third place.

I personally think accuracy should count for something if I'm to consider a rifle "Ultimate". I don't care how pretty it is if I can't hit what I aim at
I have considered making a qualifying target a prerequisite for entry into the contest. Maybe next time.

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 12-16-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 10:08 PM
Slimjd33
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DrGunner,

That sounds like a solid idea. I'm as much about functionality of a gun as I am about looks. A really great looking gun is no better than a louisville slugger if it can't perform. That being said I would take nothing away from the craftsmanship of all these arms. It's a true art form to do what these three have done. I think that it is a shame only 6 of our artists forum wide have presented; or been nominated for their craftsmanship. It really takes some imagination, artistic vision, and ULTIMATELY dedication to make a rifle worthy of this contest and honor. Congrats to all the entries and the time invested in your vision. It shows in the detail and precision of your builds.

Regards,

-slim
Old 12-16-2014, 10:31 PM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (149)
Why is this limited to 10/22 builds? I'm a Savage fan but a RFC member so why can't it be any rimfire build? I don't care for all the plastic parts of 10/22s so I'm excluded cause I like steel bolt guns? Don't seem fair to me
Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylo View Post
Why is this limited to 10/22 builds? I'm a Savage fan but a RFC member so why can't it be any rimfire build? I don't care for all the plastic parts of 10/22s so I'm excluded cause I like steel bolt guns? Don't seem fair to me
I started the contest here in the Ultimates forum last year, because of the prolific and varied nature of the talent on this board. Several times in the past I have asked the membership and the moderators if we should run the contest in other areas and have not yet seen any real interest.

Competing rifles of different makes would be no problem, but I only moderate here, in the VQ forum, and in the Ultimate 10-22 forum- hence the
"Ultimate 10-22 Contest".

Have you thought about asking the moderator of the Savage forum to do a contest there?

I would have no problem running a generalized contest for "all rimfire semi autos", "all rimfire bolts" or "any rimfire rifle" but doing so would require a discussion with the site administrators and setting up an entirely new forum if it's going to get any legs because having it situated here would make it virtually invisible to those who do not visit the Ultimate 1022 forum.

Thoughts?

DrGunner
Old 12-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Griff79

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All three are awesome guns. You guys did a fantastic job!

I love the fact that there are 3 different approaches, the first one is futuristic, the second is tactical and the third is old school. Really nice.

Griff

Last edited by Griff79; 12-16-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Fellahs I had discussed this previously with DrG. Since mine was not a recent build I have no targets. In fact I never save any targets. I measure & record the data in logs stored in 3 ring binders and throw them away. I can certainly scan that page if anyone must see it but with the Holidays here the chances of me making it to the range to make one are pretty slim

I will do whatever I can if it is required of you. FWIW I never record 25 yard data. I find 50 is the minimum to show what a gun is capable of. If you need it I will post it. Otherwise it will be the first one out of the rimfire safe when I get time but I am pretty sure voting will be over by then.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:11 PM
dimner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
...Otherwise it will be the first one out of the rimfire safe when I get time...
Not to stray too far off the topic.. but I love the fact that you have a safe dedicated to only rimfires. That made my day. I don't think I could pull that off and still be married
Old 12-18-2014, 04:15 PM
rokehe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
I don't see the need for targets at this point. It seems like the accuracy requirement hasn't factored into the voting thus far so it would seem wrong to introduce it mid way in final voting.

That said, the reason for not requiring a standard for accuracy was to make it possible for the older builds that pre date the shooting games to enter. I believe the shortage of older builds coming to play indicates we may be ready to move forward.

I dont know if it's premature but if we only do this once next year, lets REQUIRE
1 MOA @ 50 yds for entry. With the builds that I know are in the pipeline, we will have a plethora of choices to consider.

Just my .02

DrGunner, my apologies if this has derailed the voting thread.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:50 PM
bullseye-69
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All three are really nice.
Made it very hard to decide.
Great job to all.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Dr Heckel

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseye-69 View Post
All three are really nice.
Made it very hard to decide.
Great job to all.
Agreed. Id be thrilled to call any one of them my own.

Great looking rifles guys
Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Markbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
You are all very kind.
Closed Thread