Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

PRODUCT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

38K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  Koetsier01 
#1 ·
I got this email from Winchester today and thought I would help get the word out.

Olin Winchester, LLC is recalling two (2) lots of 17 HMR

PRODUCT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE: WINCHESTER® Super-X 17 HMR 20 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
Olin Winchester, LLC is recalling two (2) lots of 17 HMR 20 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Rimfire rifle ammunition.

Symbol: X17HMR1
Lot Numbers (last four characters): NB51 and NB61
Winchester has determined the above lots of 17 HMR ammunition may contain no powder charges. Ammunition with no powder charges may result in a bullet remaining in the barrel (i.e., a bullet-in-bore obstruction). Firing a subsequent bullet into the bore obstruction could cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable and subjecting the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury.

DO NOT USE WINCHESTER® 17 HMR 20 GRAIN JHP SYMBOL X17HMR1 THAT HAS A LOT NUMBER ENDING IN NB51 or NB61. The ammunition Lot Number is stamped on the top of the 1000-round case and the outside of the 50-round plastic box as indicated here.

To determine if your ammunition is subject to this notice, review the Symbol and Lot Number. If it is Symbol X17HMR1 and the last four characters of the Lot Number are NB51 or NB61, immediately discontinue use and contact Winchester toll-free at 844-653-8358 for free UPS pick-up of the recalled ammunition.

This notice applies only to Symbol X17HMR1 with Lot Numbers ending in NB51 and NB61. Other Symbols or Lot Numbers are not subject to this recall.

If you have any questions concerning this 17 HMR rimfire rifle ammunition recall, please call toll-free 844-653-8358, write to Winchester (600 Powder Mill Road, East Alton, IL 62024 | Attn: X17HMR1 Recall), or visit our website at www.winchester.com.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

WINCHESTER
September 12, 2019

Copyright © 2019 Winchester Ammunition, All rights reserved.
Thank you for signing up to receive Winchester's Newsletter. We send great promotional deals, product announcements, and hunting content.

Our mailing address is:
Winchester Ammunition
600 Powder Mill Road
East Alton, IL 62024

See less See more
#3 ·
I was going to buy one box of that ammo last week to see what it would do but the local farm & ranch supply was out and no one locally has any 20 grain HMR except them. Now I'm glad they were out of it.

Academy Sports came to my rescue by internet. They had CCI 20 grain available.

#9 ·
a range member was having all kinds of trouble with his 17hmr, it was acting very strange. He was shooting this Winchester ammo, the bullet had zero neck tension. you touch the bullet and it fell into the case. Not good when you have a henry lever gun in 17hmr or a semi-auto at in 17hmr. He was glad to know about the recall because he had purchased a lot of it.

Thanks to Y'all for posting!

#10 ·
winchester recall

Hi all
I just sent 765 rounds back to Winchester. I sent it back because the brass split where is necked down, then would have to be dug out as it would not eject. Also had that problem with the bullet slipping back into the case with merely a touch on the top of the bullet. Now I read where there is a problem with no powder...what in the world is becoming of the great Winchester Co.
I think I know, and at 72 years on it aggravates me to no end. A friend is ramrodding the job building a new water plant near me and we were talking about the quality of help he can get now days. Can find help and good help doesn't exist anymore. Maybe Winchester is suffering that same problem.
Until next time Erie lakawanna

#15 ·
2016 I had a failure to fire rate at about 20% with their .17HMR ammuntion. A friend and I stocked up, he bought his at Bass Pro, my stash came from Cabela's. Both of ours came from the same lot, we compared the lot numbers. Sometimes rechambering them worked, led me to believe it was primer issue.

Cabela's refused any assistance, stated all ammunition sales were final. Kind of soured me on them, one of many reasons. I contacted Winchester, they asked for both the rounds that did not fire and all of the ammunition with that lot number, they would send a call tag. About three weeks start to finish a refund check arrived. They calculated it from the MSRP less sales tax, that was agreeable as I no longer had the receipts for the purchase.

#13 ·
Fabulous... I have four boxes of this ammo that I got a factory rebate on. To qualify for the rebate, I had to remove the portion of the label with the UPC barcodes on it and send it in. If you notice from the picture above of the label on the 50-round box, that’s where the lot number is! So I have no idea what lot number my boxes are!

What I did was weigh each box and the weights were all exactly the same. Then I weighed a few boxes of another brand’s 20-grain JHP ammo and it was within a few grams. If mine were of these lots and had no powder charges, even in one or two rounds, I think the weight would have been different. So I’m confident enough to keep these and use them at the range, only with a greater than usual alertness for a squib.

#16 ·
17 HMR Win.

I bought 14 boxes from a well known member of the Colt forum for $90, he was closing them out from his small store, 5 were Hornady & CCI which shot well in my Savage rifle. Then starting on the Winchester Varmints which were a different lot number than the current recalls, one out of every 8 rnds would split the case & would not eject, sticking in the chamber. I contacted Winchester, sent copies of the purchase & price from the Colt Forum, & photos of the boxes & split cases. I was sent a shipping label, sent back the 7 full boxes plus the split cases, 3 wks later I received a check for full replacement cost for all 9 boxes. I commend their customer service, but will not buy any more of their ammo, as I recently bought a bulk box of .22 that had more duds than usual for plinker ammo.

#17 ·
Since this is still stickied despite age I'll add:
just don't buy winchester/Olin rimfires at all. they are crap.

Bought silver box winchester 22 wmr from midwayusa on 6/18 and most of the ammo was FTF (at least 30%). Part of the issue was the old gun, but this junk continued to ftf in new gun at a high rate while other brands did not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.