Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 63 Wolff Spring Kit

I'm thinking about changing out the springs in my Model 63 3".

My question is which springs do what to the gun. What does the rebound spring do, and what does the hammer (or is it main spring, or is it trigger spring) do?

Which one will lighten the DA pull? Which one will lighten the SA pull?

I really don't mind my SA pull. It is pretty light and surprises me every time. But the DA pull is atrocious. I'm pulling shots every time I use it.

I've got about 500-800 rounds through it. It's smoothed up, but the DA pull is still horrible.

Thanks

Educate me!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:27 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Both the main and rebound springs affect double action pull. In double action, the trigger compresses the rebound spring while it engaging the hammer to cock it, which compresses the main spring. In single action, the mainspring has the greatest effect on single action pull since the rebound spring will already be compressed by the act of cocking the hammer. The Wolff kit will have a lightened mainspring and different rate rebound springs to tailor the double action pull to suit you best.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 PM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you!

From what you said it sounds like it may be wise for me to change the rebound spring first and see if that helps with the double action pull. Correct?

Will changing the rebound spring be responsible for any light strikes? Or is that strictly the main spring's job?

Does anybody have a Wolff kit #?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 02:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
The rebound spring does not affect the strength of the firing pin hit. If you have never been inside a S&W revolver, you do not have the knowledge or tools to do the job. The rebound slide and spring are difficult to install with the correct tool, impossible without. So your choices are, take it to a gunsmith or buy the tools, a proper fitting screwdriver and the rebound spring tool. Or you could bring it over to me and I would do it for free, as I have Armorer's training and all the tooling for the care and feeding of S&W revolvers.
If you wish to do it yourself we can guide you through it, the most critical part is correctly removing and replacing the screws and side plate. There is a video on it on Midway's site. The kit for rimfire revolvers is 17126

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php
Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
I'm thinking about changing out the springs in my Model 63 3".

My question is which springs do what to the gun. What does the rebound spring do, and what does the hammer (or is it main spring, or is it trigger spring) do?

Which one will lighten the DA pull? Which one will lighten the SA pull?

I really don't mind my SA pull. It is pretty light and surprises me every time. But the DA pull is atrocious. I'm pulling shots every time I use it.

I've got about 500-800 rounds through it. It's smoothed up, but the DA pull is still horrible.

Thanks

Educate me!
You can try the hammer spring, but it often lowers the hammer speed sufficiently to make the revolver unreliable. I tried one in my Taurus 94 and had to go back to the original. If you just shoot whatever is on sale, don't bother, but if you have found one brand that your gun likes & use it religiously, then it might be worth testing out to see if it will still run with that particular ammo.

The rebound spring is the key: it pushes back on the trigger to return it to the ready state; accordingly, a significant fraction of the total trigger pull wt. is found in overcoming the spring tension in the rebound spring. But again, it can be too light to reset the trigger if the action is rough in general [see Taurus 94 mentioned above! ]

At any rate, you'll get more for free just by disassembling the action & polishing & lubing all the critical points [probably best to stay away from the sear tho', unless you're an actual gunsmith...] Once that is done, a lighter rebound spring will probably still function just fine and you'll have what you came for w/o jeopardizing reliability by reducing the power of the hammer spring: rimfires need a heavy hammer fall!
Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Oldmountain2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have used the Rim Fire spring set from Wolff on five 317’s & one 63. The main & rebound must be matched for strength or the rebound will be unable to reset the hammer. The Wolff set is calibrated. I’ve never had a miss fire and the action is both lighter and smooth. Rebound removal tool is highly encouraged!!

Highly recommend (required!) book:
The S&W Revolver. A Shop Manual
By Jerry Kuhnhauser. Fun & well worth $45.

Brownells.
080-666-000MB
Rebound Slide Tool
Mfr Part: 97216

https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH%20&...3/mID58/dID263
Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I have several of Mr. Kuhnhausen's books, all packed with knowledge and good advice.