Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Reloading 17HMR

15K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Turkeytider 
#1 ·
Ive been reloading 17HMR for over a year now, and have had to do all my own research, testing and custom reloading equipment. Video in link is using unfired brass, but I also use fired brass, but have not made a vid yet on that.

Why? Because as a competitive shooter, I need the most consistant priming, powder charge and bullets. Reloading allows me to make adjustments to neck tension and every other part. I use Lehigh Defense lathe turned 20gr solid copper projectiles firing at a MV of 2620 from my 18" Garrow Firearms Development / CAAPS match rifle.

Feel free to ask any questions!

See less See more
1 1
#5 · (Edited)
Could you post a target with 50 shots at 200 yards?

I'd like to see just what quality 17 hmr cartridges are capable of

Include the chronograph numbers too if you would.
Hell I'd just like to see 5 10 shot groups at 50 yards without out a half dozen flers a half inch outside the group. I love the theoretical 17hmr cartridge but the actual available cartridges are so poorly made it makes it hard to champion the caliber. Even for hunting at long distance the normal one out of 5 flier is usually a missed shot on smaller critters or just wounds bigger ones.

#10 ·
The seater die was made from a Wilson blank, everything else but the shellholder and shellholder extension were made from scratch. Not sure what the cost would be, I was blessed to have mine made by a sponsor for me. There are easier ways to load, especially if just swapping bullets, but I do everything from sizing, neck tension, priming, powder, bullet etc.

#15 ·
I know this is an old thread, but hoping the OP @Team17 is reading. Does the biggest increase from accuracy result from re-priming, the new powder charge, re-seating the factory bullet so it's more concentric, or the new bullet?

Wonder how much of a gain could be obtained with pulling all of the bullets out of a couple boxes (100 rounds) in the same lot, weighing the total amount of powder recovered, dividing by 100 to get the individual powder charge, and reloading the primed cases with consistent powder charges and re-seating the factory bullet with a concentric seating die.

I see this as a way of loading aftermarket bullets that you can't buy in loaded ammo, e.g., 25 grain bullets, Bergers, etc., and getting more accuracy with concentricity and loads tailored to a specific rifle (seating depth).