Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

20gr Offering

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  idahoron 
#1 ·
Hi guys,usually run Hornady 17gr vmax in my CZ 452 American for rabbits. Looking at trying some 20gr ammo.
What does everyone recommend, Hornady or CCI gamepoint. Is there much difference?
How’s the accuracy and terminal performance of the 20’s ?
Will be hunting foxes and rabbit (as varmints not small game)

TIA

#5 · (Edited)
Considering though the label may read Hornady or Federal or Remington or Nammo
what you find in the box is all CCI. 20 grain or 17 grain or 15.5 grain 17hmr the results
have nothing to do with the label and everything to do with the production quality
of the batch you were sold. No matter bullet type or weight with the CCI made magnum rimfire
it's all about your luck in the production line lottery. Not brand, not weight, not bullet type.
Get a good batch results will be amazing. Get a bad batch it'll make you want to sell the rifle.
It's CCI rimfire, no accuracy guarantees.

For meat spray the hollow points and ballistic tips.
For the stewpot the jacketed soft points.
For pelts the full metal jackets. They're supersonic icepicks.

#8 ·
I've shot a little of the Hornady in my C2 Contender barrel and it is a little more accurate than the 17 gr stuff. On the other hand my Marlin 917VS prefers the 17 gr over 20 gr.

Academy Sports has Hornady HP XTP 20 gr for $12.99. I don't know if that's a good price or not as I haven't bought any in some time now.

#11 ·
I posted about my findings on the Hornady 20 grain XTP. They are super accurate in my rifle but they don't open up well past 100 yards. I try to take a head shot or a shoulder shot on big chucks. But if the wind blows the round into the lungs it is smoking through no expansion past 100 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.