Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Time for some of us to give up on the 17HMR???

10K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  Al the Infidel 
#1 ·
As everyone knows, many members are really struggling to find ammo that fires let alone get the groups we got 10 years ago.

I have two Marlin 917's and out of the last 3 boxes of ammo:
Winchester 5-10 out of 50 went off the first time
CCI 10 out of 50 went off the first time
Hornady 40 out of 50 went off the first time but shot 1 1/2" at 50 yards

Serious question: What's a guy to do? :confused:

No one will buy the used rifles when you tell them the truth. Your only option is to sell it to a pawn shop or Cabelas and you would probably be lucky to get $75-100 for a Marlin 917 considering you can get a new XT out the door for $250

For that little money, is it just time to put the rifles up and see what ammo is like in 5 years? Or do you cut your loses, fund other projects, and buy again should this get fixed in the future?

Just curious what everyone who has been having problems thinks

See less See more
#30 ·
Same problem with my 22wmr and Horady V-Max. Never had a problem until I bought a new brick and I would say 20 out of 50 never fired the first time thru and some not until the third time thru. This is a new problem with both my 25MN and a fairly new (less than 400 rounds) CZ 512 and a really new new CZ 455. My vote is for the ammo.

#34 ·
Thank you all for the replies. It's been a busy summer and I have not been reading this site or shooting my guns much.

I did get out today and I think I have shed some light on the problem.

I always had a 917v which I installed a Rifle Basix trigger on years ago. When I bought my used sporter barrel 917 last year, I swapped triggers. The Rifle Basix went into the sporter rifle and the sporter's factory trigger went into my bull barrel. No adjustments were made.

I have now reversed that and put the triggers back where they all came from. This has resulted in much better ammo reliability. I shot about 50 rounds and had 2 duds (both from the same rifle). Accuracy was also much better.

I have been meaning to take the bolts apart and give them a good cleaning. I think that is the next step.

One thing is clear, swapping triggers is not as easy as swapping triggers :bthumb:

Thanks all

#35 ·
Glad you have it figured out! I have a 452 which was the first CZ I ever purchased, it has been un-failing its whole life no matter what ammo I put in it. In fact it's the rifle that resides in the house for the occasional vermin that crosses the pasture. I love the HMR!!
James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.