Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

CCI 17hmr TNT Green Mini Report

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rc. 
#1 ·
So to summarize some lead free ammo testing that I posted in the 22 LR forum for those interested in lead restricted places like California.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118674

Under the same conditions I got 50 yard groups of about 2.2 inch for CCI Green 22 LR, 1.6 inch for CCI Green and Winchester Tin 22 magnum and about 1 inch for the 17 hmr TNT Green and 15.5NTX. So as expected 17 hmr was more accurate than the other common rimfires. In fact, the lead free 17hmr was twice as accurate as the 22 LR rounds under breezy conditions.

Now I know some of you can beat that under more controlled conditions with more extensive testing in better rifles with better optics, but my goal was only to begin evaluating the relative performance of lead free ammo in each caliber using typical guns.

Yesterday and today I had a chance to shoot some ground squirrels with the TNT green 17.... The performance was rather interesting. While solid hits can anchor squirrels, I did have a crawl off with what I felt was a solid hit. The bullet wounds even inside 20 yards are what you might expect from a V max at 120 or 130 yards. There was a clear bullet tract and exit wound that was maybe the size of a small marble. There was upset, but nothing dramatic. The squirrels were not torn up like I have come to expect from the Vmax ammunition. I have not tested these in water yet but it's something that needs to be done. The bullets may be tumbling rather than exploding into dust on impact. This leads me to believe this round has significantly different characteristics to the alternative 15.5NTX which while not as explosive as the Vmax will fragment on impact causing fairly substantial wounds in ground squirrel while maintaining a low ricochet potential. I think hunters looking for a less destructive rounds for the 17 hmr should give this one a try. From my testing, I believe it is a viable alternative to the full metal jacket and 20 grain XTP for harvesting edible game without blowing up the animals. I hope some of you will start sharing your experiences with the lead free ammo in each caliber so it can serve as a resource for those considering which ammo to buy. rc

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.