Mark IV Target Sight Issue - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:04 PM
claytonsdad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark IV Target Sight Issue

Took my new Mark IV Target out to shoot it for the first time today. It was shooting a little low. When I backed the elevation screw up in the rear sight, the sight didn't rise like it should. I fiddled with it for a bit and never could get it free. I finally backed the screw way up and got the sight to pop free. As I adjusted it back down toward where I needed it to be, it bound up again.

I guess I'll call Ruger tomorrow and see if they will just ship me a new rear sight instead of making me ship the whole gun in. Has anyone else had an issue?

I'm not really that enamored with those sights anyway. Does anyone have good target sights out yet? I have looked, but haven't found any.

I love Ruger and have always had good luck with their products. I'm just really disappointed that I'm having an issue with this one. I guess it happens to everyone sooner or later.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:14 PM
rapidray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot my Target last week and it was shooting low. Didn't have my tool bag with me so I just put rounds thru it. Yesterday I picked up my Mark 4 Lite and did take my tool bag with me this time...and it was shooting low also. Made my adjustments and she is good to go...no problems.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:39 PM
jason_garvin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonsdad View Post
Took my new Mark IV Target out to shoot it for the first time today. It was shooting a little low. When I backed the elevation screw up in the rear sight, the sight didn't rise like it should. I fiddled with it for a bit and never could get it free. I finally backed the screw way up and got the sight to pop free. As I adjusted it back down toward where I needed it to be, it bound up again.

I guess I'll call Ruger tomorrow and see if they will just ship me a new rear sight instead of making me ship the whole gun in. Has anyone else had an issue?

I'm not really that enamored with those sights anyway. Does anyone have good target sights out yet? I have looked, but haven't found any.

I love Ruger and have always had good luck with their products. I'm just really disappointed that I'm having an issue with this one. I guess it happens to everyone sooner or later.
Hi there,

Here are some aftermarket examples but not MKIV pistols, the rear sight should be the same. I have replaced all of mine with the Volquartsen sights, I really like them, better sight picture for me. Here is a look:

Also,

Kensight, as seen here, probably makes them for Volquartsen but can't say that for a fact, are also very nice. Another option,

Jason G

Old 01-15-2017, 11:37 PM
MAJORSDAD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_garvin View Post
Kensight, as seen here, probably makes them for Volquartsen but can't say that for a fact, are also very nice.
I've never liked the adjustable sights that came on my Ruger the Mark II-III pistols but did like the Micro sight that was on my Mark I. I've also been looking for a set of replacement sights for when I get a MKIV and like the Kensight #860-906, which is what I believe you have on the pistol with the Vortex Razor. Did that sight slide into the factory dovetail without any issues/modifications and does it interfere with the bolt stop pin?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 AM
jason_garvin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes Sir, the sights tap straight in. Being careful they go in straight from the start is the clue. I also brush a thin coat of grease on the dovetail cuts. This has worked good for me.

Ps, if you have a stiff bolt pin that needs punched to pull the MSH, the Kensight covers it and will need unscrewed to get to it.

Jason G

Last edited by jason_garvin; 01-16-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 AM
MAJORSDAD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_garvin View Post
Yes Sir, the sights tap straight in. Being careful they go in straight from the start is the clue. I also brush a thin coat of grease on the dovetail cuts. This has worked good for me.

Ps, if you have a stiff bolt pin that needs punched to pull the MSH, the Kensight covers it and will need unscrewed to get to it.

Jason G
Thanks for the info.

My current MKIII is a pain to disassemble because the bolt pin needs to be tapped in/out every time I take it down and one of the reasons I'm selling it in favor of the MKIV.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:34 AM
jason_garvin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just from experience that is usually an upper lower alignment issue. Going in you can get them lined up and gauge it with the pin from the top. But I wonder with shooting the pistol if the upper doesn't move one direction and wedge up against the pin making them difficult to pull. I run grease on my pins and they slide in and out easier.

Jason G
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM
claytonsdad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the Kensight require a taller front sight, as suggested on the Midway USA website? How well does the stock front sight fill the notch in the Kensight rear sight? My main knock on the stock rear sight is that there is just too much space in the notch on each side of the front sight.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:49 AM
claytonsdad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just Got Off the Phone with Ruger

The lady in customer service was very nice and said that they will ship me a new front sight tomorrow. Given the circumstances, I'm pleased with that.