Bad Back ? Pain meds... - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:12 PM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have two blown discs and one bulging and manage to be pain free most of the time by stretching my hamstrings daily and I take turmeric, two Ibuprofen and magnesium chloride. If you try magnesium make sure you get chloride as the other forms can work as a laxative. The magnesium is passed through the kidneys if you take too much. The magnesium is a muscle relaxer which also relaxes the artery walls causing blood pressure to go down. As was previously mentioned what works with some will not work for others and it is always best to use the lowest dose possible. The magnesium also strengthens bones because it aids in the utilization of calcium in the body. These things are maintenance and you may not see results for a few days but they have helped me.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 AM
StevieNH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
I know everyone is trying to be helpful but from a professional point. Please check the data sheet on all meds before you take. what works for some might not work for you.
And be very careful with anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and naproxin (Advil & Aleve, are 2). Taken improperly, even at the correct dosage, can cause severe and even life-threatening internal bleeding and organ damage.

A week in ICU from washing down naproxin into an empty stomach with a cup of coffee authorizes me to pass on this warning. Don't be stupid like I was.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:38 AM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNH View Post
And be very careful with anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and naproxin (Advil & Aleve, are 2). Taken improperly, even at the correct dosage, can cause severe and even life-threatening internal bleeding and organ damage.

A week in ICU from washing down naproxin into an empty stomach with a cup of coffee authorizes me to pass on this warning. Don't be stupid like I was.
I know what you are talking about. Had a girlfriend's mother die from doing that same thing..

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 08:04 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry for your pain. Everyone! My back problem started when I was 22. Lower back, but just muscles, not bone. Buckwheats problem is exacerbated by his loss of sleep. Thatís when the body heals. And to help it heal he needs vitamins. Not mega doses , just a daily supplement, I take the gummie ones cause the hard ones are hard for me to digest, plus a little magnesium and potassium from foods rich in those elements. But sleep is the key. And pain is keeping him awake . Talk to the docs about what they can do to help you get some sleep. And eat right !

I used to golf 4 time a week, and would take Aleve before each round so my left knee wouldnít hurt. It didnít hurt, until it didnít work. Pain pills let you do stuff that you body says stop doing that. Listen to your body. Stop doing stuff that hurts.

Yes I take a pill or two, when the pain is so bad I canít get to the bathroom with out crying. Then a long hot sitz bath. And a banana or two, too!
Old 09-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Listen to your body. Stop doing stuff that hurts.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My wife is on Tramadol and has been for several years. Has shifted to ConZip, which is a time-release version of it (Tramadol-TR). She hates narcotics and is terrified of becoming addicted.

Tramadol is a controlled substance:

Quote:
SUMMARY: With the issuance of this final rule, the Deputy Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration places the substance 2- [(dimethylamino)methyl]-1-(3-methoxyphenyl)cyclohexanol (tramadol), including its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers, into schedule IV of the Controlled Substances Act. This scheduling action is pursuant to the Controlled Substances Act which requires that such actions be made on the record after opportunity for a hearing through formal rulemaking. This action imposes the regulatory controls and administrative, civil, and criminal sanctions applicable to schedule IV controlled substances on persons who handle (manufacture, distribute, dispense, import, export, engage in research, conduct instructional activities with, or possess) or propose to handle tramadol.

DATES: Effective August 18, 2014.
Source: https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/f...014/fr0702.htm

For me: I had chronic low back pain and discovered my L4/L5 disc was degenerating and impinging on my sciatic nerve. Suffered through Desert Storm with it and three years after returning, had surgery to remove the pieces/parts of the degenerating disc they could get to and a laminectomy to boot (1994). Difference of night and day and - while I have occasional LBP, it is mostly muscular. So far this year, I have only needed to take Ibuprofen three times, and only once for back pain.

When my wife had a few teeth extracted, she got some narcotics to last her for two days. The nurse recommended ("prescribed") taking a combo of OTC Tylenol and Ibuprofen - at the same time - when she runs out of her narcotics. She explained that, for some reason, taking both together enhances the pain-relieving/anti-inflammation effects of each. She was right, and it didn't take huge doses. The one time this year I had some serious LBP, I took one Tylenol (extra strength) and two 200-mg Ibuprofens. I was good for six hours and felt so much better I didn't need a second dose.

A few other things: We've used Blu-Emu for years and while it is good, there is a far more effective creme we really like: Traumeel. Worth checking into! We even use it on our horse for his sore hooves.

We're both looking into CBD products, mostly to aid in sleep. Both of us suffer from some arthritis (my wife has both RA and OA), but I also have metastatic bone cancer in my spine from prostate cancer. It is theoretically "under control" with my hormone treatments, but those won't work forever and "theoretically" means "usually"...

Sorry for your LBP. I once opined we could do away with prisons if a judge could just sentence someone to LBP. Then realized it would be considered "cruel and unusual punishment"...
Old 09-20-2019, 12:10 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I take naproxen for arthritis, but Tylenol does me better for back pain. A heating pad two or three times a day for 20-30 minutes at a crack helps.

As tedious as it is, stretching and maintenance of core strength is huge in my book. My problem is that after I have been doing the exercises for a while and my back I fine, I get to thinking that the exercise isn't really doing anything, and I slack off.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the biggest reasons for a bad back.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...1&d=1569001002
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C8EA5E62-A01E-49F9-96EA-0244F44B332E.jpg (53.3 KB, 4 views)
......Tom Petty
Old 09-20-2019, 01:51 PM
Tomcat21
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieNH View Post

Agree 100%. Took Ibuprofen and Aleve for lower back pain, too often and too many high doses. Now have damaged kidney's, Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 3. I have to drink 64 oz. water every day to flush kidney's, keeping me from going to Stage 4 and possible Dialysis. Limited intake of coffee, beer, no ice tea, clear liquids preferred.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've never had any OTC product of any sort do one whit of help. Heat and ice, careful stretching of spasming muscles, some physical therapy and the most nsaids and Tylenol your system will handle without damage. Be cautious and have frequent tests done to watch for the possible liver and kidney damage. Steroids might help with recurring inflammation, not always.

All the otc stuff is a waste of money , just fad crap and often outright quackery.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Rychek
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sustained a back injury in 2000 (when I was 20) that left me in great pain for months. I was out of the country and getting the correct medical care was not easily achieved. Once I was diagnosed (and shown the X-rays proving the diagnosis) with disc degeneration in the L4/L5 and L5/S1 disc, I was able to start recovery.

Since then I have come to understand that stretching is essential (hamstrings, quadriceps, calves and glutes). I stretch at least twice a day (morning and night, otherwise I can't sleep) and only have mild stiffness or discomfort. If I need further relief, ibuprofen or Acetaminophen help. I also use an inversion table as needed (but should use it more often).

Hope that helps.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:29 AM
PokeyOkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd suggest an alternate approach. I injured myself overseas years ago and instead of surgery, I went with accupunture and yoga and it took a few months instead of the instant relief of meds but it was worth it. I haven't had major issues for a decade. There's a book called "7 Steps to a Pain Free Life" that has some awesome stretches and ways to help ease the pain while you heal.