Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Great information on slings! Thank you.

I have a bi-pod that I thought of putting on this carbine, how would that interact with the sling swivels?

Or maybe not use the bi-pod, any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2019, 12:48 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The thing about the 10-22 and bipods or slings that with the thin barrel in the oem stock the point of impact may well change from balanced on a bench bag, to offhand to bipod, to sling. Free floating the thin sporter barrel has not seemed to be a solution for many, though the reports are the heavy bull barrels often do (see how quickly the 10-22 can become a money eating hole ), but then the light and handy carbine gets porky.
Fwiw, I learned to shoot offhand without 'aids', Im 66 and been doing this for over half a century, from plinkin to schuetzen and a bunch in between. Won and placed enough shoulder to shoulder with some good shooters to know good shooting can be done without anything more than the clothes you are wearing. Each new piece of gear has its own learning curve and idiosyncrasies that are an addition to the fundamentals of shooting. Learn to perform the fundamentals well first, it will serve you well for the rest of your life.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltoo View Post
I have a bi-pod that I thought of putting on this carbine, how would that interact with the sling swivels?
The forearm needs to have a stud without a loop. The bipod attaches to the stud where the sling loop would normally be. On the bipod is another stud where the sling loop mounts (typically an Uncle Mike's QD type). Essentially the bipod clips to the rifle and the sling clips to the bipod.

Option B is to attach a second stud to the forearm so there are two -- one for the bipod and one for the sling. The stud for the bipod needs to be closer to the muzzle then the one used for the sling.

Last edited by Sophia; 09-20-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
The thing about the 10-22 and bipods or slings that with the thin barrel in the oem stock the point of impact may well change from balanced on a bench bag, to offhand to bipod, to sling.

Unless something has changed there should be a pressure point at the tip of the forearm. Inside the barrel channel, right at the tip, the wood comes into contact with the barrel to provide some upwards pressure. Putting stress on the forearm -- by leaning on rest or bipod, by pulling down on the sling, etc -- changes that pressure which changes the barrel's harmonics which affects the POI.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:07 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltoo View Post
Is that the same One Shot I would use on my brass when reloading?
Nope. One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube is what you want.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:04 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting with a sling attached to the stock will affect POI a small amount.

I shoot in three position events like Project Appleseed and I use a pretty tightly tensioned leather 1907 loop sling for prone and sitting. After zeroing my scope off the bench at 25 meters, I typically have to make a modest elevation adjustment (around 1/4-3/8") to raise the POI slightly. Sometimes a tiny windage adjustment is also required, but not always.

I do not find that overall accuracy or consistency is affected, so long as zero is adjusted for the sling.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
Shooting with a sling attached to the stock will affect POI a small amount.

I shoot in three position events like Project Appleseed and I use a pretty tightly tensioned leather 1907 loop sling for prone and sitting. After zeroing my scope off the bench at 25 meters, I typically have to make a modest elevation adjustment (around 1/4-3/8") to raise the POI slightly. Sometimes a tiny windage adjustment is also required, but not always.

I do not find that overall accuracy or consistency is affected, so long as zero is adjusted for the sling.
You must have been reading my mind. I'm wanting to improve my marksmanship and was wondering how reasonable it was to expect a consistent POI change when using the sling.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I most often see/hear about sling use in prone and sitting, not so much about offhand as the op had commented about. I have heard that some time back the military taught the sling for offhand, but that would be in a martial context, not fine targets?
I guess my take is kinda like with a stick-shift car;ie, if you can drive one you can drive anything. If you can shoot decent without a sling then you can try one and see if you do better. Otherwise, how ya gonna tell.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:11 PM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe I will just leave it "slick" for now and see what I can do with her.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:28 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
Try the reverse off hand under the forearm, it adds some stability to an offhand stance. If it's good enough for Gunny, it's good enough for you.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks very English.

The takedown screw was way way loose.

Trigger is a little heavy, but the take-up, over travel, and reset are pretty short.

This carbine has an over travel screw in the trigger guard. Is this common?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (352.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 10:19 PM
Ltoo
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The thing about the 10-22 and bipods or slings that with the thin barrel in the oem stock the point of impact may well change from balanced on a bench bag, to offhand to bipod, to sling. Free floating the thin sporter barrel has not seemed to be a solution for many, though the reports are the heavy bull barrels often do (see how quickly the 10-22 can become a money eating hole ), but then the light and handy carbine gets porky.
Fwiw, I learned to shoot offhand without 'aids', Im 66 and been doing this for over half a century, from plinkin to schuetzen and a bunch in between. Won and placed enough shoulder to shoulder with some good shooters to know good shooting can be done without anything more than the clothes you are wearing. Each new piece of gear has its own learning curve and idiosyncrasies that are an addition to the fundamentals of shooting. Learn to perform the fundamentals well first, it will serve you well for the rest of your life.
That is well said. This is a small light rifle, I can easily carry it. Better without the sling and bi-pod. AND now that I have tightened the takedown screw perhaps the crosshairs won't wave around quite so much.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:24 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Great news on the screw!
That is not an overtravel screw behind the trigger, it is the spring loaded trigger return plunger.
Suggest you pull the barreled action out, review the 'stickies' here on the works inside, drop the trigger assembly, spray clean it out, let drip dry and lightly spray lube. Let that drip 'dry' on a rag for a while before re-assembly. It might just work a bit better and needs to be done anyway.
Fwiw, With the inexpensive JWH Hammer Kit (I used the hammer only just to see) my trigger went from dismal to under 3.5# on the cheap Wheeler Trigger Pull Gauge (average of repeat tests) and feels better than any of my other two brands of semi-auto rimfire rifles.
If inclined to try a 'hammer kit' and willing to go with used there are a number of RFC members who have gone to high-end trigger groups/kits and have mentioned their old stuff now sits in a bin or bag. You might pitch out a 'want to buy' on our Trading Post.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:04 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
Try the reverse off hand under the forearm, it adds some stability to an offhand stance. If it's good enough for Gunny, it's good enough for you.
That is very close to the stance that I have adopted for offhand rifle shooting except that I have my support hand thumb on the same (left) side of the rifle as my fingers, the rifle resting on my open palm. This hand postion seems to give me more solid support of my support arm elbow against my torso.

I postion my support hand directly under the balance point of the rifle, which is directly under the magazine. That is easy to do with the Ruger rotary magazines. If I need a little more elevation than this hand position allows, I use a magazine with a Tandemkross bumper installed on the magazine base, which bumps the rifle up another 1/2" or so. I also swap the stock Ruger extended magazine release lever for one made by Timber Creek which curves back toward the front of the trigger guard. This allows me more room directly under the magazine well for my palm to support the rifle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Timber-Cree...-/283403050363
Old 09-21-2019, 10:27 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I most often see/hear about sling use in prone and sitting, not so much about offhand as the op had commented about. I have heard that some time back the military taught the sling for offhand, but that would be in a martial context, not fine targets?
I guess my take is kinda like with a stick-shift car;ie, if you can drive one you can drive anything. If you can shoot decent without a sling then you can try one and see if you do better. Otherwise, how ya gonna tell.
The USMC training circular on rifle marksmanship (MCRP3-01A) from 2001 demonstrates the use of a USGI sling in both hasty and loop configurations for shooting the M16A2 rifle in prone, sitting, and kneeling positions, and the use of a hasty sling for shooting standing. You can download that manual here if you like:

https://www.ammogarand.com/risluseusfim.html

The 2012 revision of that same manual still shows the use of a loop sling (and a tactical sling) for shooting either the M16A4 rifle or the M4 carbine in prone, sitting, and kneeling positions. It does show the use of a tactical sling for standing shooting, but not the use of the USGI sling in the hasty configuration.

I have experimented with offhand shooting with and without the hasty sling and with various sling tensions. My accuracy and consistency seem to be modestly improved by the sling.

If you want to shoot either NRA or CMP high power rifle competition or rimfire sporter competition, the use of a sling for stabilization in standing shooting is not allowed, although the sling must remain attached to the rifle. My understanding is that a sling is also not permited for silhouette competition. So if you think you have any future interest in those types of events, it would be good to learn to shoot offhand without the sling.